USB

craig333

Riley's Human
I was looking to do an install something like what leadsled did, putting a usb port in the status panel. Wasn't having much luck googling when I finally ran across this http://cgi.ebay.com/...emZ230610045336
With any luck that'll even fill the hole I drilled and never used for another project.

I really didn't want a unit that plugs into the 12v outlet and sticks out and gets in the way, gets unplugged etc. Now with my gps, kindle etc, the need for an outlet just gets greater all the time.

I was looking to do an install something like what leadsled did, putting a usb port in the status panel. Wasn't having much luck googling when I finally ran across this http://cgi.ebay.com/...emZ230610045336
With any luck that'll even fill the hole I drilled and never used for another project.

I really didn't want a unit that plugs into the 12v outlet and sticks out and gets in the way, gets unplugged etc. Now with my gps, kindle etc, the need for an outlet just gets greater all the time.

Yep, USB ports come in handy these days. I use mine for the MP3 player. You know how precious storage space is in these campers and the MP3 player has about 150 albums on it.....no need to tote all those cd's.

mp3 player and USB port.JPG

The unit I bought has the 12 volt plug, but you could just splice it in directly. I would say just buy the unit with the number of USB outlets and form factor you want, and not let the plug stop you. I do like the unit you found, though.

Someone a while back linked about these kind of adaptors (I forget which unit them actually linked but a quick amazon search pulls up numerous like these):
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PL12V3US-Cigarette-Lighter-Multiplier/dp/B003OER2A0/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1305728009&sr=8-14

http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon%C2%AE-Triple-Cigarette-Charger-Adapter/dp/B003174TWE/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1305728009&sr=8-13

Figure one could easily hard mount a unit like this and cutoff the plug to hardwire it into fuse panel.

Thank-you, I was looking for something like that for MP3 player. I am not too swift when it comes to electronics but how would you charge laptops/cellphones/camera batteries? Other than using an inverter? Or is it a converter? If you are not in a campground with AC. Sorry, but it will sink in eventually. I got a "D" in Electronics in college (required for major). New camper will have dual 12V outlets.

Thanks for posting these links.

Very interesting !

I too am curious about the charging voltage ??

I have an I-Phone.

The charging cord has a USB at the end that you can plug into a computer for recharging, or you can stick a little adaptor on the USB tip and plug it in to a wall socket.

If I plug the USB into my computer for recharging, is ths charging the phone with 110/120v electricity like a wall socket ?

Or is the USB port in my computer charging the phone off of 12V power like the adaptor you have posted pictures and links ?

I can pick things up pretty quickly, but I just don't have any experience with these plugs and what the charging voltage is?

I can have the boss here at FWC check with our supplier to see if we might be able to get these built into our exsisting 12v outlets panel.

Thanks for any light you might be able to shed on the topic.

:)

Attachments

• Sample Plug.jpg
    Sample Plug.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 200
Thank-you, I was looking for something like that for MP3 player. I am not too swift when it comes to electronics but how would you charge laptops/cellphones/camera batteries? Other than using an inverter? Or is it a converter? If you are not in a campground with AC. Sorry, but it will sink in eventually. I got a "D" in Electronics in college (required for major). New camper will have dual 12V outlets.

It is really a huge waste of energy to use an inverter to convert 12 volts DC to 110 AC.....then plug in 110 volt AC charger.....which in turn converts the 110 volts AC back to very low DC voltage to charge computer/cell phones/cameras etc. The byproduct of that wasted energy is heat you feel radiating from your inverter. I have a 1000 watt inverter to run things like my TV and microwave (for short periods).

To charge computers, cell phones, cameras etc. you are far better off purchasing OEM 12 volt DC chargers. Stay away from the generic 12 volt chargers and stick with OEM. Especially when you are charging a computer. I've had real bad luck with generic chargers for computers and now only purchase the OEM units. The OEM charger for a computer will run $60-$90....but is worth every penny. The 12 volt chargers for cell phones and cameras are pretty inexpensive.

USB devices charge at 5 volts. Most computer parts run at 5 volts (outside of fans typically).

When you plug your USB device into a computer, it is taking the voltage down to 5 volts.

These charging adapters that either plug into the wall (110v AC) or car adapter (12v DC) and converting the output to 5v DC.

The adapter listed by the original poster, likely has this 12v to 5v converter built into the housing. This housing happens to be the same as a standard cigarette/power port housing.

For FWC to add this into the 12 panel, you would need a plug with a converter on the backside to step the voltage down from 12v DC to 5v DC. It would work fine at that point.

Hope that clears it up a little.

Thanks for posting these links.

Very interesting !

I too am curious about the charging voltage ??

I have an I-Phone.

The charging cord has a USB at the end that you can plug into a computer for recharging, or you can stick a little adaptor on the USB tip and plug it in to a wall socket.

If I plug the USB into my computer for recharging, is ths charging the phone with 110/120v electricity like a wall socket ?

Or is the USB port in my computer charging the phone off of 12V power like the adaptor you have posted pictures and links ?

I can pick things up pretty quickly, but I just don't have any experience with these plugs and what the charging voltage is?

I can have the boss here at FWC check with our supplier to see if we might be able to get these built into our exsisting 12v outlets panel.

Thanks for any light you might be able to shed on the topic.

:)

Its inexpensive and becoming more and more necessary. Why not make it standard?

Now I need to get extra cables, one for the house one set for the camper. The more I move stuff the more I lose stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom