Use of jacks on Fleet

Mr. Prescott

Advanced Member
May seem like a weird question but I was wondering, I know a person uses the jacks to take the camper off and on the vehicle, which I did for storage this winter.

But I see some folks leave the jacks on there truck campers most of the time, is the reason for this that they allow for the camper to be leveled off when camping and for more stability?

I removed mine for the summer season but have noticed in the past that there is some sway in the camper when there are 2 people using the camper.

Also, I figured the less weight the better and I can see out the rear mirrors and get a better view when I change lanes, back out etc.

Thanks

Mr. Prescott

Agreed on the weight and visibility, also could bang on things if you go off pavement much. I got jacks on my Eagle but the first thing I did when I got it home is take them off. My camper stays on my truck full time.

Also, if you get your jacks hung up on anything while you're driving, you'll definitely do a lot of damage to the camper, which is guaranteed to be an expensive repair. I took my jacks off within two hours of my camper being installed and haven't need them for anything other than removing it.

It's all true about extra weight, blocked visibility and also significant wind resistance, but the big thing I would be concerned about is catching a jack on something on a narrow track, or even in a parking lot, and bending the heck out of the camper frame. So, I take them off. They would be great for stabilizing the camper, but that can be accomplished other ways. When I'm alone, I don't do anything. When there are two of us, I put a stabilizing jack under the truck frame on each side.

- Bernard

Bernard,

Thanks for the tip on the stabilizing jack, now I am wondering what type you use. I got on line that there is a lot of different kinds?

Mr. Prescott,

They are called Camco 44560 Olympian RV Aluminum Stack Jack Stands. They are pretty lightweight and nest together for storage.

They don't go high enough to reach the bumper, but work OK placed under the truck frame. I experimented with extending them with pieces of 3/4" pipe, but it was too wobbly. But they will reach the truck frame in the middle with maybe a block of wood or two. I put them just ahead of the front of the rear spring after I have leveled the truck with blocks under the tires. They just give a little extra stability when two of us are moving around in the camper, especially getting up in the night.

I got a set of four, but only use two. I think you can also buy a set of two. I got them from Amazon.

- Bernard

Back
Top Bottom