Used Camper Alert Thread

I just called the guy with the camper in Independence. His unit is for a full size truck, requiring a tailgate opening of 60" according to him, FYI. Too bad, my Tundra won't quite fit. At least there seems to be quite a few listings popping up on this board : )

Wow, not sure how that happened!!! Anyway, I was suppossed to be starting a new topic, which was here is a four wheel camper in Co. Hope it helps someone.

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/1816173024.html

I sent an email to the guy in San Fran with the 2003 Grandby an hour after he posted. Still havent heard back from him. I have sent two emails with my phone #. I was ready to drive down this weekend with cash, but something must be up with this seller.

Maybe he thinks a buyer from Seattle is not seroius.

Lance

Drove up to Livermore Monday night to see this unit. Not in horrible condition, but not what I expected for $9K+. Well used with some water damage in the rear. Never should have made the drive without some better intel, but I know you need to be quick to land these bad boys...the search continues!!!

Drove up to Livermore Monday night to see this unit. Not in horrible condition, but not what I expected for $9K+. Well used with some water damage in the rear. Never should have made the drive without some better intel, but I know you need to be quick the land these bad boys...the search continues!!!

Whoa, from San Diego to Livermore, that was quite the drive. Sorry that did not work out for you. Best of luck on your search

Thanks for the update. The guy finnally sent me and email. Likely the same one you got. He made it sound like he had lots of interested partys and was trying to get a bidding war going. This is the first time I had heard of an "open house" for a camper. Not going to drive 15 hours without first right of refusal.

Thanks again.
Lance

2008 Hawk $8,000- Bay Area CA

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs/1826347981.html

Self Contained Camper-Designed For Four Wheel Drive Trucks....Sink,Heater,3 Way-fridge,Sleeps 4 Adults.Pop-up Tent Design.Auxiliary Battery and 110Volt Hook-Up.Porti-Potti and Step Included.

Going to look at it today, with first right of refusal.
Ya think it's a good deal, mtn-hi? Anyone else? I need that little push to commit ; )

I'll call FWC, but can anyone else comment on the fit of the 08 Hawk
with an 06 Tundra Access Cab? Seller has measured width at 58" which is what my tailgate is.
Sounds like I'll need a shoehorn!

Andy

^^^^^^^ there's the steal right there.....^^^^^^^

You shouldn't need a push, its a great price, as long as it is in good condition.

We could sell it here a FWC, today, for at least $ 11,000.00.

It will sit a bit tall on the older 2000 - 2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Trucks.

As long as you are OK with that, it should work well.

Attachments

• Hawk on Tundra Access Cab #1.jpg
    Hawk on Tundra Access Cab #1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 303
  • Hawk on Tundra Access Cab #2.jpg
    Hawk on Tundra Access Cab #2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 286
Ya think it's a good deal, mtn-hi? Anyone else? I need that little push to commit ; )

If it is in good condition, it is a great deal. Just give it a good look over to make sure everything feels right.

Let us know what you find.

(And if you buy it post some photos Here)

Grandby - 199(?) - $4500 - Redwood City

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/rvs/1829313890.html

Hawk (Shell) - 2006 - $5500 - Ventura

http://ventura.craigslist.org/rvs/1827504088.html

2006 Hawk "shell" model pop up camper by 4 wheel. Extras include; Queen size bed, rear screen door,auxiliary battery system, fan-tastic fan over sleeping area,
8' awning, upgraded fluorescent lighting, and cable jacks. Original owner. Used only four times.This camper fits a short bed full size truck and weighs 650lbs. cost 9,800 new. Will sell for 5,500obo

Should have put this here yesterday - maybe? Is there 2 places to put FWC campers for sale? I put the following link in the Gear forum.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3443/page__pid__37057__st__0&#entry37057

The direct link to the camper is:
http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/detail.cfm?v=142704

I'll call FWC, but can anyone else comment on the fit of the 08 Hawk
with an 06 Tundra Access Cab? Seller has measured width at 58" which is what my tailgate is.
Sounds like I'll need a shoehorn!

Andy

Well, how'd it look?

If you don't buy that thing, I will. Gotta 2003 Tundra sittin pretty in the driveway just chompin' at the bit...

Just joined the FWC club! What was a realization of a long term dream suddenly became very real as my local banker counted out hundreds and twenties for me to take with me on a two hour drive to see a '08 Hawk.

I was not disappointed. The camper was in great shape with lots of extras thrown in the deal : ) This unit has the extra battery kit, 3-way frig, power fan, 4" thick queen size bed, camper jack, Yakima racks and more! I was really fortunate to find this camper. It even has metallic grey stripes that match my truck.

It's a Hawk so it barely fits my tailgate on the '06 Tundra and it sits three inches above the side rails of the bed, but I've got some ideas about that. Hoping to get FWC to sell me a bit of alum siding to finish off the primer plywood visible above the rails.

Tracked mileage on the 120 mi drive thru Sacramento and down to Livermore. I got 15.97 MPG driving down @ 70 MPH w/o my tailgate (4.7L motor, electronic overdrive), the return trip with camper tied-down six ways I got 12.29 MPH :(
Oh well, you gots to pay to play!

The ride on the freeway was ok. No problem with the hill climbing on the highway thru the Livermore wind farm at 60-65MPH. I heard some wind noise, but not as bad as I would have expected considering how high the bed sticks up above the cab.

It's still tied on my bed. Last night I fired off the furnace & fridge and charged up the battery off AC. Pretty cool inverter/converter and battery isolator system. Makes my old Westfalia look primitive. But I'll also say Westfalia does a nicer job with cabinetry (sorry, but I'm a kitchen/bath remodel guy and look at cabinets all the time).

Overall, I am ecstatic with this purchase and plan to use it for my many outdoor pursuits. Tomorrow I'm getting Firestone Ride-Rite airbags installed, plus wiring for 12V receptacle and drilling the bed for the forged eye-bolts (FWC OEM). Yee haw!

Andy
www.pbase.com/lighthawk

Attachments

• IMG_4264.jpg
    IMG_4264.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 357
You STOLE that one. Congrats! You were lucky it was close by....I found one in my search at an RV dealer that was an equally ridiculously low price but the guy was a @#%!* and wouldn't work with me long distance/take a credit card to hold it....etc.

happy trails!

mtn

Thanks Ski! Having a bed and shelter available virtually anywhere will definitely open up more possibilities.
I love the East Side of the Sierra (usually backpack/climbing) and have done a loop in DV (Saline Valley, etc.) but now I'm thinking of the Nevada deserts, another trip to Escalante UT, and so on. I'm doing more photography these days and love having a rig that can take me out there. Within a month I've sold my Honda Pilot, bought the Tundra TRD and scored a sweet FWC camper. I'm on a roll.

Now if I could just quit my business and retire! That won't happen for at least ten years, but meanwhile short three day trips can be done frequently once the FWC is stocked with essentials. Really glad I found this forum, because it helped me immensely to learn what works and where you guys can go with your rigs. Thanks everyone.

Andy
www.pbase.com/lighthawk

Back
Top Bottom