Using a pro audio adj speaker stand to raise your roof

Gave the system a real world try camping the last few days in the Smokies and it worked great, except that the rubber clamps aren't strong enough to hold the unit under the cabinet, at least on the roads I drive. Now to rig up a strap to hold it in place so it doesn't bounce loose.

I have some quick fist clamps somewhere from a prior application, but I'll probably just use a strap. I tried looking in Townsend at the Ace hardware but couldn't find bracket I liked to mount the strap. I'm sure I can find something here around home.

Ouch, hurt my back, herniated disc. Not to fear, picked up the speaker stand from B&H photo, $116 with tax. Tripod legs screw off easily, used rubber from leg on bottom, works perfectly. Made some small wood brackets that I installed with heavy duty double sided tape, has little 2" indentation in middle to keep speaker stand from squirreling around, rubber foot on floor works perfectly as is.

Gave it a crank, now I don't have to use my back to lift the thing. {joy}

Stand: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/400161-REG/On_Stage_SS8800B_SS_8800BP_Crank_Up_Speaker.html

Now just need the quickest clamps, my roads are often very bumpy. Cheers and Thank You to Bob, original posters and discoverers!

I just leave mine on the floor when traveling - its the first thing I grab when lifting the roof. It is then stored away until I am ready to drop the roof. No problem with bumpy roads.

How do you feel this system would work with a 48lb raft frame on the roof with yakima racks? We have the exterior struts already on an ATC Bobcat. We don't want to remove the frame each night when travel to river trips. How secure would it be with the weight up there at night and any possible damage to the locking panels?

I have maxtrax, cell/wifi antenna, canoe and 50 pound 360W glass solar panel on my roof. 80# lift struts. We raise the roof by hand. Even my retired spouse can do it by herself.

Wow! Four 80 lb struts ==> 320 lb total lifting assist minus reduction due to strut angle. Makes my 30 lb rear and 20 lb front struts seem wimpy. I do have a speaker stand for help when the arthritis kicks in.

Do you have to pull the roof down when the canoe & Maxtrac are not on the roof?

Paul

PaulT said:
Wow! Four 80 lb struts ==> 320 lb total lifting assist minus reduction due to strut angle. Makes my 30 lb rear and 20 lb front struts seem wimpy. I do have a speaker stand for help when the arthritis kicks in.

Do you have to pull the roof down when the canoe & Maxtrac are not on the roof?

Paul
Yes indeed, we need to pull the back down. The solar panel is up front, so that is always a challenge to get lifted up the first 2-3 inches.

The real trick is to use your head. By that I mean, be smart and use the fan to help both lift and drop the top. In our Puma that works way better than it did on our Hawk. I think that is because when I gutted and rebuilt this camper I made sure to seam seal and tape every opening and gap. Where I could not get easy access, I used spray foam. The camper is tight. So the fan really helps. And, I do physically use my head rather than arms to life the roof. I find it much easier to squat under the roof lift panel, touch it with my head and then just stand up.

We use the speaker stand when we have 2 kayaks on top. It along with 4 40# struts works great. It's a hassle to find a home after it's up but it just goes outside.
I'm real curious how to wire my old cordless drill to plug into the cigarette lighter power port. Any help would be nice on that

I just bought the On Stage Power Crank-up SS8800B+ speaker stand from Amazon. It arrived with a torn box and no instructions inside. Most concerning is that every 6" while cranking or using the drill it has a momentary place of resistance. It might be getting slightly better each up/down but don't want to take the legs off until I'm sure it is not defective. Anyone else experienced these places of resistance or had directions missing?...... Thanks.
and after reading several replies I sent it back for an exchange and Amazon is sending me a new one. I think I dodged a bullet with a defective unit.

Rob, I don’t recall instructions either, but it’s been many years since I purchased. The resistance would be a concern, sounds like a rough spot on a gear.

We also bought one of these recently. No instructions (other than what was printed on the box), but ours is very smooth when raising or lowering with either a drill or the hand crank. Given how expensive it is, I would probably consider returning it for an exchange.

Have used this type of speaker stand for years on our Ocelot with boats, rocket box, etc. on top. no problem with the hand crank. I did put an extra piece of plywood over the push panels that were already in place but not sure if that was really needed. rides in the camper and then just goes up front when camping.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom