Using a vertical propane tank as a backup.

b team

Would it be ok to use a std 20LB vertical propane tank on the ground, next to the camper as a backup? I have a few of these tanks and didn't want to purchase a horizontal tank. I know the vertical tanks can't be used on their side.

All I would need is a hose from the vertical tank to the regulator in the camper propane box. Any issues doing this and what hose would I need?

By the way, i got around 10 nights of heater, bbq, stove, and refrig use out desert camping. It was cold and the heater kicked on often. I was surprised how long one 20lb bottle lasts.

Hey, b team!

I was just reviewing one of your old threads! :thumb:

I usually go to my local LP supplier for these types of issues. They have all the right stuff, like quick disconnect fittings and bulk hose. I priced some ready-made hose (that wouldn't have worked, anyway) from Wal-Mart and the right stuff was not much more.

Have you considered a two-way valve that would let you switch to the aux tank without disconnecting the primary?

Automatic valve information??

...i added a 2nd propane bottle with a valve that switchs over to 2nd bottle...
Les,Lqhikers

Les, if you've got info (make/model/source) for the automatic valve I'd bet I'm not the only one that would like to see it!:D

Les, if you've got info (make/model/source) for the automatic valve I'd bet I'm not the only one that would like to see it!:D
Just about any RV shop or store that sells propane stuff will have them. I bought one at Wal-Mart a few months ago, in the RV section. It's not just a valve, it's actually a complete regulator with a selector valve. You select the tank you want to draw from and when it is empty your regulator automatically switches over to the full tank and gives you a red indicator that the first bottle is empty. Depending on where you buy, they run $30 to $40. My local Wal-Mart recently raised the price from $28.xx to $34.xx. At the local Coastal Farm Supply I believe they're $39.99.

-

Here is a cut and paste from lq's camper threaad

Duane,I checked the dual regulator but did not come up with a name,I do know that the same one in pictures are to be had at any r.v. store as they are used on all trailers that have two tanks,seems like they cost around $45-$60.
I think the fwc has about the same tank that i have (lay Down)so if you measure you can mount as i did which makes it easy to access.
Also pictures show thermostat with doors open to on/off switch.
If you have not bought a boat yet and are leaning toward a yak you should test/look at the hobie pedal yaks,we do a lot of fishing from our tandem (ocean,lakes etc)they are set up with pole holders bait tanks fish finders and you can not beat the pedal yaks for trolling!Once you try one you will be hooked!I have even mounted a elect trolling motor and a 1.5 gas motor on yak just to see if it would work it does,but i dont waste the effort as the basic yak works just fine.
Hope this gives you some more to think about!
Drive slow and enjoy"its the journey"
Les, LQhikers
Attached Images
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Thanks for the responses Curmudgeon & b team.

No RV supply here in Juneau (that I know of) but we've got Walmart! Some of the marine folks or the propane outlet might have something too. I'll check WM but probably just wait until we fly south in a couple weeks (we left the rig there and came up for Christmas/NY with daughter). Picking one up there would save extra baggage.

This looks like a really good upgrade. Lets you completely use up a tank without having to mess with switching and relighting stuff in the middle of a cold night.

In the couple weeks we spent in the camper so far we've been able to just top off, but we'll be spending longer in more remote spots now and will be wanting to upgrade both electrical and propane to keep from having to run all the time. This, combined with Stan's thermostat, is a good start.

Thanks again! Duane

the auto switch sounds really good. The last few nights of camping i though i'd have to get out at 3 am or so to change the tank. I'll look for the auto switch unit.

Can a guy legally permanantly mount the tanks on the back of the camper using one of the dual LP tank holders?

Does anybody recall if the propane box that slides into the camper is inside or outside of the siding?

Back
Top Bottom