Utah tips

Bat

Planning a trip to Utah leave Halls crossing ,Burr trail to Boulder, Down Hwy 12 to the Hole in the rock (west side) and down the the end, back out and turn left to the Dino trackway and down to Alstrom point,over to Big water and come home. I would like to take in as much as I can so any tips are welcome.

I just did a very similar trip last month and posted some thoughts and pics here -

The Burr Trail is great. At the top of the switchbacks, take the turn into Strike Valley Overlook. It's a short but slightly technical drive in, maybe a mile or two. At the parking area you can hike out to the Waterpocket Fold overlook and oh my goodness, what a view... Back on the trail, just past the overlook, I would also recommend the Wolverine Loop Rd, a 28 mile 4wd trail that starts on top of the Burr Trail, just past the switchbacks, where the road turns to pavement, and it rejoins the Burr Trail near Boulder. That was a fun track through petrified forests, scenic views and canyon driving.

I would skip Hole in the Rock, unless you absolutely have your heart set on driving over washboards and beating your truck and kidneys to death. A better alternative IMO, is the Smoky Mtn Rd, It's is a phenominal drive from Escalante, down to Alstrom Point. Eighty miles of nothing but dirt, solitude and incredible views....

When in Boulder, eat at Boulder Mesa restaurant or Hells Backbone Grill for a nice meal (not at the Boulder Grill). Kiva Koffeehouse on Hwy 12, just west of Boulder is a cool stopping point. They have great baked goods and coffee if you like that kind of thing. If you have time for a 6 mile roundtrip hike, you could check out Calf Creek Falls, between Boulder & Escalante. The trailhead is clearly marked on Hwy 12.

If the weather works with you, you should be in store for a great trip. I hope you'll follow up with some photos afterwards! Be safe -

KC-

Strike valley is in the park right? So no camping?
How about Wolverine Loop? Same?
How tough are these roads to drive?

@bat- I second the Kiva Coffeehouse and the Calf Creek hike. There is another Calf Creek hike to a different falls of the same creek that is flatter and shorter. It starts at the Calf Creed CG. Both are great hikes.

I was looking at Smokey mountain, I am gald you mentioned it.

Spooky and Peek-a-Boo

If you are hiking off the Hole In the Rock road check out Spooky and Peak- A Boo slot canyons. Both are located in the same drainage, Dry Fork of Coyote Gulch and don't require ropes. Two of the best non permit slots for non canyoneers.
Take alot of water it is getting hot, next week 100's in St. George.
No see ums are out in the Pinion Juniper but the heat should knock them back some.
There is another nice walk in slot off the Skutumpah road, Willis Creek. The road is off the Johnson Canyon road and South of Cannonville. Nice drive as well and you can tie it in with the Cottonwood Wash road for a loop.
Dsrtrat

Hi all.

Books are often a great way to get acquainted with a specific area/region.

In regards to Utah, one author/adventurer I would recommend seeking out (he has many books on many different areas) is Michael Kelsey.

http://kelseyguidebooks.com/

I HAD 2 of his books...but I loaned 'em out and I haven't seen 'em since. :rolleyes: Yes...live and learn...:thumb: Each publication details hikes and often times speaks to remote camping/campsites in each area.

have fun out there...but please be careful/aware of flash floods at all times.

mtn

KC-

Strike valley is in the park right? So no camping?
How about Wolverine Loop? Same?
How tough are these roads to drive?

Strike Valley Overlook is within the boundaries of Capitol Reef NP. I don't know about camping there. One could probably get away with a commando overnighter at the trailhead if they intended to do a sunrise hike. I would have to revist the park rules on camping to be certain what's kosher and what isn't.

The Wolverine Loop Road is not within the Capitol Reef NP boundaries. There were several nice spots to camp along the trail. Here's a map of the area showing the boundaries - Glen Canyon Rec Area map

The roads are slow going & bouncy with some dips through washes, but I did them with the truck and camper on some miled up AT tires. On a scale of 1-5, I would give the most difficult sections ( on Wolverine Loop Rd) a 2.5, but there weren't that many of them. I used 4wd primarily for the low gearing and to keep momentum on some downhills to a minimum.

The Strike Valley Overlook trail was rougher and tighter in spots, with a dip through a big wash that got the truck leaning pretty far to one side but nothing too traumatic. I would do it again tomorrow. The payoff is well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom