Ute Flatbed for Ford F250

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
As mentioned in My initial camper build thread, I had ordered a flatbed to accomodate a new camper. Picked up the truck today and this is what it looks like:

gallery_2_113_85793.jpg

Total cost between flatbed, tail lights, freight and installation was close to $4,500. I was able to sell my old bed and tailgate to an auto wrecker for 750 making my total upgrade cost about $3,750. If I was willing to hold on to the old bed a while I'm sure I could of found a buyer for more but it's not exactly an easy item to manage.

More pics and info to come.

So now that it's real, what is the difference in height-above-ground between your old pick-up bed and the new flatbed? (seems like there was some uncertainty/difference-of-opinion about how it would turn out)

Looks great, btw!
smile.gif

Dude, looks good. Just ditch the towel racks on the sides. And yes, that is Aaron's stock bumper.

Sounds like a good idea to have some towel racks for my outside kitchen :)

So now that it's real, what is the difference in height-above-ground between your old pick-up bed and the new flatbed? (seems like there was some uncertainty/difference-of-opinion about how it would turn out)

Looks great, btw!
smile.gif

Darn it i forgot to take that measurement on the stock bed. Anyone with a stock truck that could supply that measurement would be appreciated!

Looks good!

For comparison. When I talked to the guys they were saying about $2600-2700 plus tax for me to pick up the bed from their shipping dock, install it myself, and buy/install the tail light myself. So lets see some shots of the bed so I can see what's the installation requirements. :p

+1

Dude, looks good. Just ditch the towel racks on the sides. And yes, that is Aaron's stock bumper.

Marc, did yours have them at first? Do you just not like the look or is there a construction/functional issue with them? Just curious because I sorta like them but I'm ears for any issues.

Also I see you don't have the front rack, which I also don't want. Did you just slice it off? (They mentioned something about needing the lower part of it to seal up the front???) Or do you have the option to bolt it on/off? I've sure much of this would make more sense when I finally go check one of these out.

Looks good!

For comparison. When I talked to the guys they were saying about $2600-2700 plus tax for me to pick up the bed from their shipping dock, install it myself, and buy/install the tail light myself. So lets see some shots of the bed so I can see what's the installation requirements. :p

Marc, did yours have them at first? Do you just not like the look or is there a construction/functional issue with them? Just curious because I sorta like them but I'm ears for any issues.

Also I see you don't have the front rack, which I also don't want. Did you just slice it off? (They mentioned something about needing the lower part of it to seal up the front???) Or do you have the option to bolt it on/off? I've sure much of this would make more sense when I finally go check one of these out.

Yeah thats about the same price quote. Installation was expensive at my local truck place. They said that the instructions were pretty terrible and the bed isn't specifically made for a Ford so there was a lot of drilling and rigging stuff to get it on there. Took about 1.5 days.

That front rack guard thing just bolts on so you can leave it off.

Yeah thats about the same price quote. Installation was expensive at my local truck place. They said that the instructions were pretty terrible and the bed isn't specifically made for a Ford so there was a lot of drilling and rigging stuff to get it on there. Took about 1.5 days.

Pics when you get a chance. :D

Does it unbolt at the bed level or a bit higher up, such as just the part over the window (if you unbolt it at the bed you can't use the sides right)?

Pics when you get a chance. :D

Does it unbolt at the bed level or a bit higher up, such as just the part over the window (if you unbolt it at the bed you can't use the sides right)?

I haven't had time for a good look at much of it yet but from what i saw when it was unassembled on the palette it looked like it bolted on at bed level.

Sounds like a good idea to have some towel racks for my outside kitchen :)

Since when do U cook ??? :D Oh yah, U did cook that gourmet breakfest for Camel Racer and I when we were in NV, corn beef hash out of a box. :)

marc

Since when do U cook ??? :D Oh yah, U did cook that gourmet breakfest for Camel Racer and I when we were in NV, corn beef hash out of a box. :)

marc

Hey don't forget the bacons and eggs! I cook all the time. Just not in the presence of the Grand Master, Sauerkraut.

Darn it i forgot to take that measurement on the stock bed. Anyone with a stock truck that could supply that measurement would be appreciated!

Probably a more useful measurement would be how high the bed is off the highest frame connection point which might dictate things for installation?

Marc, any input on the above?

marc

That was good eggs and hash.

Looks good!

+1

Pods8
I had my fabricator take them off. I didn't like them and saw them possibly getting caught up on brush/branches. also did not want the headboard or sides as camper will primarily be on full time. Was able to save some bucks.

marc

When I put my bed on the Dodge it was the same installation scenario. If I hadn't been in a friends shop where he could fabricate brackets and weld, there is no way I could have installed it myself. My Ute was a demo and I got a good price which made it worth it. If I hadn't got the demo I would have got a bed from this place. They would also do any modification you can think of.

http://alum-line.com/

They had a reasonable price and would have installed at the factory in MN. 6 hour drive for me.

Hey DD, an easier and more useful measurement request. What did the flatbed to top of cabover height come out to (ie required clearance under the cabover)?

Back
Top Bottom