Vandenberg area for a SpaceX launch

I should have done a Street View of the entrance to the Hawks nest viewing area earlier ! Scratch that option off!

/2

gallery_8230_1196_26501.jpg

ETAV8R said:
Guess I've never looked at googlemap/earth for that area. Looks like lots of roads out by Point Conception. I'm sure most are locked. Seems there are a lot of potential areas to view a launch from and maybe boondock. Most likely the people in the large homes on the hills don't want us pop-up vagabonds roaming around.
Those roads & homes are on the Hollister Ranch, a private development of 100 acre home sites first sold back in the 1970's. Access is towards the east near Gaviota State Park and Hwy 101 with the guard gate about 1 mile in. No general public allowed.

Slash2, et al,

For some launches from North Base (e.g. SLC 2) the 30th Space Wing at Vandenberg AFB allows public viewing of launches (from a distance of approximately 5 miles) at the "intersection of Corral Road and Skyscreen Road, Vandenberg" ... (copy the text from in-between the double-quotes, and paste it into the search field of Google Maps to find this location, or simply click here:https://goo.gl/maps/suuy69KASJU2 ).

But you need to check ahead of time.

Here is another useful link for launch pad locations and possible viewing sites.

https://www.google.c...6940000002&z=11

Another potential viewing site is up Harris grade Rd. Never-the-less, my preference is Figueroa Mtn. Here is the view of the base from up there . I marked SLC 2. All the other pads are to the left of SLC 2. Tranquillon Peak (the first and tallest peak South of SLC 2) is just South of the view line to SLC 4 & 5. SLC 6 is almost behind Tranquillon Peak and it is the most Southerly pad.

Hopefull this helps a bit more.
Regards,
Craig

Attachments

• View from Figueroa Mtn to Vandenberg.jpg
    View from Figueroa Mtn to Vandenberg.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 102
All good info guys, Thanks. Unfortunately I learned yesterday that my in-laws are planning a visit that week so I'm probably going to get scrubbed regardless of what happens to the launch, but at least now I know where to go for the next one. Thanks again for taking the time to share your spots with me.

/2

So take them on a sight-seeing trip of Avila Bay & the greater Pismo Beach area, stay at the Madonna Inn (if they're that open-minded), and then sneak out early to watch the launch. :)

ntsqd said:
So take them on a sight-seeing trip of Avila Bay & the greater Pismo Beach area, stay at the Madonna Inn (if they're that open-minded), and then sneak out early to watch the launch. :)

Ha ha ha, good idea! The Madonna Inn might be just the ticket for my in-laws. Idahoans love to talk about how crazy Californians are!

/2

ckent323 said:
Slash2, et al,

For some launches from North Base (e.g. SLC 2) the 30th Space Wing at Vandenberg AFB allows public viewing of launches (from a distance of approximately 5 miles) at the "intersection of Corral Road and Skyscreen Road, Vandenberg" ... (copy the text from in-between the double-quotes, and paste it into the search field of Google Maps to find this location, or simply click here:https://goo.gl/maps/suuy69KASJU2 ).

But you need to check ahead of time.

Here is another useful link for launch pad locations and possible viewing sites.

https://www.google.c...6940000002&z=11

Another potential viewing site is up Harris grade Rd. Never-the-less, my preference is Figueroa Mtn. Here is the view of the base from up there . I marked SLC 2. All the other pads are to the left of SLC 2. Tranquillon Peak (the first and tallest peak South of SLC 2) is just South of the view line to SLC 4 & 5. SLC 6 is almost behind Tranquillon Peak and it is the most Southerly pad.

Hopefull this helps a bit more.
Regards,
Craig

Thanks for the great information Graig!

I stayed at the Figueroa Camp ground and then drove down to the Harris Grade turnout in the morning for the launch. Figueroa Camp Ground was clean and very quite, only two other campers in the over 30 space site. It did cost 20 bucks and it is way up a pretty steep road but the views from just below the campground were beautiful.

I arrived at the Harris Grade turnout about an hour before the launch, there were 4 other vehicles there and about dozen by launch time.

Gorgeous morning, the sun just hitting the entire rocket at the launch, very impressive. I don't have any photos worth sharing because I took others advise and just enjoyed the show, later viewing the much better photos from the Youtube SpaceX recap.

Thanks again for all of the great advice!

/2

Back
Top Bottom