Vegas to beatty via 95

dennis 221

Can Anyone give me dispersed camping info on this hiway. Heading to death valley an will need to stop somewhere on hiway 95.

Have not done that section of 95 as we come from north of Beatty. But it is all open desert, so just a bout any side road should work. I'd try to find a place a ways from the Air Force Base on that route, though.

When I came up 95 to 6 I didn't see a lot of places to camp. I hope someone knows more than I do.

Heading south I have always turned west into Death Valley at Beatty. Heading north I go west from Vegas to Pahrump, then on into Death Valley either directly into Furnace Creek, or cut over to Shoshone and into DV from the south. Inside Death Valley there are numerous boondocking opportunities. Never did the drive from Vegas to Beatty.

I was just on US 95 from Las Vegas to Beatty. There is a Buddhist temple just off the highway in Cactus Springs, they welcome guests but they'd probably like a donation. It is far from ideal, light pollution from the two close billboards and highway noise. There are roads going off off both sides of 95 after you get past Cactus Springs. North of Amargosa Valley the space between Nellis AFB and US 95 gets a little bigger, so more accessible.
On my return, I used the road through Shoshone and Pahrump to Las Vegas and thought the road was much nicer with more camping possibilities, so you might consider that route.
Very little in the way of supplies in Beatty, get what you need in Las Vegas, and you definitely want to fill up in Nevada.

Hi Denny. I’d generally look to the west side of Hwy 95 for dispersed/remote camping locations. Much of the east side of the highway is the turf of the Nevada Test Site (NTS). Once upon a time (during the Cold War) I spent some time working at NTS doing some weird science, and their security people were serious about checking out anyone that approached their turf (the east side of Hwy 95).
I’ll be heading that way myself in ~3 weeks and will need to spent one night camping off the grid in that area. I’m pretty sure I’ll choose to camp within or near Death Valley. Besides, who wants to camp in or near the area where they have blown 800 + nukes off above & below
underground?

If you make it past Beatty onto 374, lots of options both sides of the road. An easy one is the entry way to Titus Canyon which is BLM for the first mile or two before it crosses into the Park - a few side spots either side of the road. And has the advantage of getting an early start into Titus Canyon, and beat all of the day trippers. And plenty of BLM on the other side of the highway as well.

Boondocking inside the park is great and they have a new map at the Visitor Center, or you can print it yourself:

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/508-Backcountry-and-Wilderness-Access-map_.pdf

Enjoy!

-Vic

Vic, thanks for your post and the NPS attachment. The information that you provided is probably going to help me out when choosing an area to camp in/near DV the next few weeks. John.

We just did the Vegas to Beatty on 95 trip last week. One of the free campsite apps. recommended Brambo's Pond shortly before you get to Beatty for free disbursed camping. We passed it in the early afternoon and there were a bunch of campers there. A bit too crowded for us and we were not ready to stop for the night but you can judge for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom