Vehicle type and fuel mileage?

CTD with Grandby

I've had a 2000 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins Turbo-diesel and a Grandby on the back for the last seven months. I've only checked the mileage twice so far (60 gallon tank) and I'm getting 14.3 mpg mixed city and hwy. Some folks with this truck report 20+ mpg but I haven't seen it yet.

After adding the new air dam on a 3000K trip I never got below 18 and saw a high of over 20mpg. This was mostly highway and I kept it at 65mph. I saw a nice improvement of about +2mpg after adding the new air dam. I have a scan gauge and watch the mpg. It is amazing how much a slight tail wind will improve things, I think there should be highway information about when tail winds are a blowing :thumb:

bobg333

I see in your last post that you have a larger fuel tank in your Dodge. I've been looking into doing the same mod with either a tank from Transfer Flow or Aerotank. I'm interested in what tank you're using and how you like it.

To stay on subject I'm getting about 16 mpg @ 70 mph with the Grandby on. Before I got the camper I was getting between 18 and 19. I got the camper at about the same time ULSD was being introduced so I think part of the mileage drop was the green fuel. All mileages are hand calculated.

Dick

Ford Ranger mileage

I bout a new Eagle camper and had it placed on my 2004 Ford Ranger V6 4 w drive.

I drove 500 miles to pick it up and 500 miles back.

I got 21.4 driving over to pick up the camper, and averaged 19.4 returning with the camper (empty) on the way back.

With the 07 Tundra 5.7L v8, I get about 14 city/18hwy, but I'm not easy on the gas. My freeway driving is about 80mph. With the camper on, it drops some to 13-15 off hwy to about 15-17 on highway- but again, I'm usually doing 80 on the hwy. If I did 65, it would be about 18.

95 F250 diesel 4X4 with Keystone.
Under optimum conditions (Southbound with a NW breeze, 55-60mph) the Broken W bumped right up against 20mpg.
With Mexi-diesel at $2.08, that's the equivalent of about 51mpg.

My more typical, real-world mpg is more like 13mpg.

have an 89 F250 7.5L or 460 cid with 5 speed 4x4 with Keystone camper and towing my 14 ft aluminun john boat get about 12 mpg

F350/Panther Fuel Economy

From my "Panther Plan":

2007 Ford 6.0 PSD (Diesel)

Without camper, easy daily drive: 16+ mpg.
With camper, same easy commute: 14+ mpg.

A recent trip w/ elevation change of about 6000 feet NO camper, aggressive driving: 13+ mpg.
2 recent similar elevation change trips, camper on, more relaxed driving, but with tow/haul engaged for most of the trip: 13+ mpg.

On a recent 1200 mile round trip with camper and utility trailer stuffed full of tools we averaged 10.- mpg. The truck is a 2006 F250 crew cab FX4 5.4L gasoline.

Here is a really good resource for mileage and fuel cost per mile. The participants are less inclined to brag about their mileage, I believe...

http://www.fuelly.com/car/

My page: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/f250mwi/f250-super-duty

Diesel F250 page: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jacksjb/f250-super-duty

I got 12.2 mpg, while they got 16.9 mpg. But I only paid $0.06 per mile more for fuel. On a three-thousand mile trip, that would amount to $180 more for me.

Hope that this helps somebody...

Thanks for posting this resource. Actually, it makes me feel pretty good about the mileage I am getting on my rig and my daily driver Civic. :)

highz,

Your hypothetical 3000 mile trip would cost about $280 less than mine, and that's significant.

Unless you consider the fact that many of my trips are made with three adults. If there were two of us, I think an older 6-cyl 4x4 Ranger or Taco would be the vehicle of choice (because I am new vehicle averse).

It's interesting how the forum seems to be be bi-modal between Rangers/Tacos and 3/4 ton trucks, isn't it? We seem to be bucking the current manufacturer's marketing plans, unless these new 1/2 ton trucks are indeed *all that*. Personally, I've got at least 4 years to see how it all shakes out.

It's interesting how the forum seems to be be bi-modal between Rangers/Tacos and 3/4 ton trucks, isn't it? We seem to be bucking the current manufacturer's marketing plans, unless these new 1/2 ton trucks are indeed *all that*. Personally, I've got at least 4 years to see how it all shakes out.

In my case, it's more than a mileage issue. I need my smaller truck to get up the narrow access road on some property I own. Maybe someday I'll hire someone to dynamite some rock to widen the road. Right now, I don't think an F250 or the equivalent would make it. A 1/2 ton might, although I don't think I could actually get out of the cab on the road in an F150.

But, yeah, we definitely don't seem to match the truck marketing profile here...

We recently completed a trip through California, Oregon and Idaho and tracked our mileage very carefully.

Some background.....
Truck is a 2001 Tacoma (130,000 + miles), Extra Cab, V6, Warn Bumper, 235/85/R16 KM2 Mud Terrains, OME Front Coils, Deaver Custom 10-Pack Leafs in the Rear, and Bilstein 5100's all around. In addition, I have a fabricated steel porch set up with a dual mount off my tow hitch. The porch carry's our large cooler and 2 5-gallon Jerry cans we when are traveling. The camper is an ATC 2010 Bobcat, fully loaded with the exception of the fridge. On this trip we also had a large cargo carrier on top of the camper. In the truck we had myself, my wife, and my 9 year son.

Driving was a mix of highway, 2 lane back roads, dirt two tracks, and dirt four wheel drive.

My mileage low was 14.5 on the highway doing 65 headed into the wind. My mileage high was 16 on graded dirt doing 50 in Eastern Oregon. On average we got 15 miles per gallon in varied driving conditions.

Pretty good for a Tacoma with a bunch of crap hanging off of it. I still believe that if you are willing to make the suspension mods and are okay with not blasting down the highway at 75 that a 1st-Gen, V6 Tacoma Tacoma is a great setup for 1 or 2 people. I have to admit that our family is out growing it.......don't know what the heck I am going to do.

Hope these mileage numbers help someone.

Oh and by the way I will be putting a trip report together with lots of pics....once I go through them all and get caught up at work.

Cort

Here is a really good resource for mileage and fuel cost per mile. The participants are less inclined to brag about their mileage, I believe...

http://www.fuelly.com/car/

My page: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/f250mwi/f250-super-duty

Diesel F250 page: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jacksjb/f250-super-duty

I got 12.2 mpg, while they got 16.9 mpg. But I only paid $0.06 per mile more for fuel. On a three-thousand mile trip, that would amount to $180 more for me.

Hope that this helps somebody...

Mark, thanks for posting this and bringing back this thread.

We keep an old fashion vehicle record book to record work/maintenance and each fill up along with mileage. I watch mileage trends as one of the indicators of vehicle health.

We drive a 2003 Ford Ranger 4x4 with the 4.0 V6, auto trans and 4.10 gears. It has a custom Deaver leaf spring pack and it came with Bilstein shocks. We bought it used a couple of years ago and it turned over 70,000 miles on our last trip. Our camper is a FWC/ATC hybrid Ranger II. We live simply and travel fairly light; we're not much into toys except for our backpacks.

This combination has been very successful for us as I believe our trip reports show.

Here's the stats from our last four trips. This may be a little different as in previous posts I had averaged the mpg for each fill up for the trip. Here I have done the basic math.

Idaho Trip July 2011
miles driven: 2251
gallons: 125.84
mpg: 17.89

Nevada July 4th 2011
miles driven: 893
gallons: 49.55
mpg: 18.02

Nevada Memorial Day 2011
miles driven: 753
gallons: 43.26
mpg: 17.41

Spring Break 2011
miles driven: 1780
gallons: 103.55
mpg: 17.19

We burn unleaded regular and drive conservatively for mileage. As much as possible no Interstate highway travel and 60 mph is max.

I'm always interested in talking mileage and check just for the fun of it, because in the end it is what it is.

Recently, drove down to Woodland, CA with my 07' Ranger SC, 2.3L, 2wd, 5spd auto, Timbrens, to pickup my new FWC Eagle with most options, so not a shell. 830 miles each way from NW Washington, I-5 driving down empty at 65-70mph I got 24.7mpg average, fairly normal since the addition of alcohol. Driving back with the camper was mostly I-5 60-63mph, with about 100 miles of slower back roads and I got 20.1mpg average. If I stayed off the freeway I think I would see some improvement. For me, the wind seems to be the mpg killer more than the weight.

I got 24.7mpg average, fairly normal since the addition of alcohol.

So...you get better or worse mileage when drinking?
blink.gif

Back
Top Bottom