Ventura County Fires

Oh nooo...and Ventura is lovely, went down there for the first time last September. Hope they contain it soon

Not even close to contained. The fire moved quickly southwest and is now into Ventura city limits and burning through homes. 40 miles to the east there is an out of control fire in Sylmar burning through homes also. And within the last hour or so I-5 is closed due to a fire in the Valencia area. Super windy and smoky around here. Our power has been out for 12 hours now. We’re keeping our fingers crossed. We’ve had several close calls in the past few years, including this last June. For those in this area, keep your heads down and your wits about you.

It isn't good. This is Tubbs all over again. Santa Paula to Ventura in ~6 hours! Wind gusts up to 78MPH recorded in Santa Paula. My step-mother in Oak View has been evacuated, and there's talk of evacuating the whole Ojai Valley. The whole of Casitas Springs (former home of Johnnie Cash & June Carter Cash) is under mandatory evac order. Currently the only routes out of that valley are over 33 into Cuyama or 150 to Carpenteria. 33 to Ventura is closed, 150 to Santa Paula is closed.

The fire in Valencia area is threatening a SCE switching yard, one that I suspect is where The power for the whole Santa Clara valley and beyond comes from.

Heard on the news that the I-5 closure was more about safety and Emergency Responder access than any direct threat to the highway.

I had both my mother/father in law and brother/sister in law arrive at my house at 1:30 this morning. Their homes are ok for the time being but fires are very close and they are under mandatory evacuation. One coworker has lost his home, several friends' homes fate are unknown at this time. 15 hours into this and 0% contained. Glad to be living at the beach in times like these. Scary stuff.

Hard to get air support in 75mph winds. Time to go turn on the news and see how bad it is :(

In-laws had just parked their 5th wheel at Tapo Park in Simi Valley when Rye Fire (Valencia) began moving southwest. We have them ready to move within 20 minutes if they call for evac. I think Moorpark to the west may actually have greater exposure.

[SIZE=10pt]Had a scare yesterday, some firebug set a small fire in the ~100 acre field behind us, up-wind. Next door neighbor's helper saw someone rocket out of the area on a dirt bike and then saw flames. 4 guys threw tools in their truck and drove over to it. Others wheeled their garbage cans full of water over to it. Cops got there and decided that those trying to put it out had set it and arrested them. Couple of Cal Fire crews showed up & coupled with 3 helicopter water drops had it out quickly. Next to next door neighbor told me that that the early work had turned it away from our houses. No idea who those guys are, didn't recognize their truck.[/SIZE]

Two more days of these winds, hope that doesn't upset the current status. Went to Lowes for dust masks (Salvation Army relief effort at the fairgrounds is asking for them) and HVAC filters. Lowes was completely out of dust masks of any type.

TT, Yeah, I'm sure it not like it was. I take heart in the knowledge that this is a normal part of the cycle for chaparral. Downside is when we get caught in the middle of it.

Friends at the end of Tree Ranch Rd. may have lost everything. Their livelihood was working in the shop building on the property.

Just a bit of an update.

Two photos from the TV of an unusual Sunday fire coverage on local station KEYT.
The photos below look pretty nasty, however, that is in the back country in the Los Padres National Forest. Don't have any TV photos of the front side closer to Carpinteria or Montecito.

gallery_2702_1185_2452.jpg

gallery_2702_1185_56158.jpg

Then two photos of a plant with ash and an old brick patio at the ranch house after a week of being under the ash cloud. Weird wind took the ash cloud out to sea near Ventura then up the coast about 30 miles onto shore in Santa Barbara. Wrong type of snow (ash) coming out of the sky.

gallery_2702_1185_142046.jpg

gallery_2702_1185_112848.jpg

We're staying indoors, of course.

Edit: here's the smoke plume.

gallery_2702_1185_69651.jpg

Back
Top Bottom