VERY ANCIENT DUDES in Eastern/Central Oregon

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Oregon Archaeologists Discover 15,000-Year-Old Knife
The Oregon Public Broadcasting story linked above quotes a BLM archeologist...maybe a guy like Smokecreek :)
Not yet published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal, so not yet "official" science...but still very interesting.

16098242553_c630842259_z_mylpqj.jpg

Found in a dig west of Burns, Oregon.

Dang, that's where I lost it! Was a mire youth back then, just stating in the trade, out hunting and getting ready to butcher a fresh bison kill ;) ! Interesting stuff, though, keep finding older and older stuff out there, if it were not for other things, it would be fun to be out there doing that neat field work-do miss that allot :D !

Smoke

Very cool. Thanks for posting. My next life will be as an archie.

Well, I feel young now!. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Mark. There are grinding holes in Grass Valley, less than a quarter mile from my business and I think of the natives traversing the terrain only two hundred years ago, much less than 15k!

The article mentioned, I believe, that the agate was not found locally. I know there are some in a few rivers in Washington (Chehalis?). But, last April, I found a carnelian agate at an Oregon beach. It is a ¾" thick and about 2" wide in a triangular shape. I wonder....... That is, I wonder if the tool maker found it on a beach and wandered to the east side or if it was received in trade. I know there are agates on the east side of Oregon as we have found them on dry lake beds and along roads. Not the carnelian type, but a milky white.

clikrf8 said:
The article mentioned, I believe, that the agate was not found locally. I know there are some in a few rivers in Washington (Chehalis?). But, last April, I found a carnelian agate at an Oregon beach. It is a ¾" thick and about 2" wide in a triangular shape. I wonder....... That is, I wonder if the tool maker found it on a beach and wandered to the east side or if it was received in trade. I know there are agates on the east side of Oregon as we have found them on dry lake beds and along roads. Not the carnelian type, but a milky white.
The trade idea works. A lot of items were traded back and forth from the coast/inland.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom