Victron Orion Troubleshooting

Ruck_and_Roll

So this is weird...and I am hoping the community might be able to help me out. I have had a Lithium setup for about 3 years now. I have a Battleborn 100 AH, Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/30, Victron Orion-TR Smart 12/12-30 Charger, and a Victron BMV-712. Everything has worked well since install, self installed based on information from helpful people here.

So everything seems to be working fine until now. I'm not sure if recent firmware updates made an impact. On a recent trip I noted the SmartSolar works fine. Using the Victron App I can see the Solar Panels are generating power and charging the battery. Unfortunately, I am not seeing the same with the DC-DC charger. Previously I was getting 25-30 amps from the Orion into the battery. The app shows that is in bulk mode, and active, but the battery monitor is not showing that the battery is actually charging. I've tried turning the charger on/off using the application, and still no change. I've even disabled the solar charger to see if that would make a difference. It hasn't.

Any suggestions? Software? Wiring? Mechanical failure from the Orion?

Thanks,

Luke

Have you tried cleaning up possible terminal corrosion and re-tightening all connections along the path between batteries and charger? There might be resistance blocking the flow. Also, the Orion I believe can get hot if not cooled down adequately. So, over time it's conceivable that it could have caused internal circuit damge to the Orion affecting the output.

Last edited:
I was curious to see what an AI response would be to your question. Here's the output from Perplexity AI:

Troubleshooting the DC-DC Charger Issue​

Based on the information provided, it seems that the DC-DC charger (Orion) is not charging the battery despite being in bulk mode and active. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check the Wiring​

• Inspect the wiring connections between the Orion charger and the battery bank. Ensure that all connections are tight and free from corrosion or damage.
  • Verify that the positive and negative cables are connected correctly to the respective terminals on the charger and the battery bank.
  • Check for any loose or damaged fuses or circuit breakers in the wiring path.

2. Verify Battery Bank Voltage​

• Use a multimeter to measure the voltage of the battery bank directly at the terminals.
  • The battery bank voltage should be within the acceptable range for the Orion charger to operate correctly.
  • If the battery voltage is too low, the charger may not be able to initiate charging.

3. Check Charger Settings​

• Access the Orion charger's settings through the Victron App or the device's display (if available).
  • Ensure that the charging parameters (e.g., bulk voltage, float voltage, etc.) are set correctly for your battery type and configuration.
  • Double-check that the charger is enabled and set to the appropriate charging mode (e.g., bulk charging).

4. Inspect the Charger​

• Look for any physical damage or signs of overheating on the Orion charger.
  • Check if any warning lights or error codes are displayed on the charger, which could indicate a fault or issue.
  • If possible, try connecting the charger to a different battery bank or load to rule out a potential charger failure.

5. Software Update​

• Check if there are any available software updates for the Victron App or the Orion charger itself.
  • Updating the software may resolve any potential bugs or compatibility issues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom