Viewpoints on Campground Etiquitte

LuckyDan

While browsing another forum I came across the following topic:

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=76086.0

It started with this piece on Fox News:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/08/15/7-things-not-to-do-at-campground/

The topic motivated comment/discussion/rant for 6 pages at last count. Concidering a couple of recent posts based on the experiences of a couple of members on this forum I thought it worth sharing. I will say one thing the post did do for me is remind me how lucky I am that I live in a part of the Country that Public Domain is prominant, thus I have a LOT of choice where I camp and when I wish to camp.

Maybe I led a sheltered/priveledged life, but to me camping never meant in a campground. Campgrounds = Motel 6.

Hence the reason you are active on this site and not a site with a name like "Trailer Life". I wouldn't need my pop-up if I wasn't curious about where that dirt road leads.

I grew up camping in campgrounds. I can only recall a few times we boondocked. With kids theres a lot of motivation to use a campground. Bathrooms. Events for kids, campfire programs and such. Usually lots of stuff nearby for kids. Plus you don't need to bring as much gear. Tables are already supplied, fire rings in place and so on. I don't think its fair to expect a campground to be quiet during the day. Still I expect people to be quiet at night, dogs need to reasonably quiet (a dog barking at a squirrel is just normal). Showing up late at night? I've had to do it a few times but its possible to do while still being quiet and not obnoxious (our campers make it really easy).

I'd much rather camp far away from them if I can. I don't mind bringing my own table. Is it great for people with children? Not so much in a lot of places.

Espresso said:
Hence the reason you are active on this site and not a site with a name like "Trailer Life". I wouldn't need my pop-up if I wasn't curious about where that dirt road leads.
2X on this, but what Craig said is also right! Most of those "bad" experiences, but not all of them, mentioned on this site have been when we venture into so called "civilized" camp ground world. For another quick example, just look at all the problems they have down in the California Desert with all those people and all that big desert and still there are lot's of conflicts!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom