Vinyl crease and folds

super doody

I drove my camper down to the beach this morning for the first time so I could change standing up and out of the cold. :)

I noticed that in the sunlight some of the folds on the vinyl from the interior had a few tiny holes (?) along the folds. It looks like the backing material on the vinyl has flaked off. My camper is a 2007 Eagle Shell. My questions is how do I prevent wear along the folds?

Thanks,

Jim

super doody,
Sorry to hear that. For a 2007 I wouldn't of thought that would happen. On my 1990 Hawk the vinyl was doing the same thing in areas. I went all over with the canvas repair tape on the inside to "reinforce" it. Seems to be holding up great so far. About 6 months of test so far.

Hope someone has some better advice for mitigating this problem. :D

super doody,
Sorry to hear that. For a 2007 I wouldn't of thought that would happen. On my 1990 Hawk the vinyl was doing the same thing in areas. I went all over with the canvas repair tape on the inside to "reinforce" it. Seems to be holding up great so far. About 6 months of test so far.

Hope someone has some better advice for mitigating this problem. :D

Yes, I was surprised too for a 2007.

I don't really think they are holes. I think its just a tiny bits of the vinyl flaking off due to wear and crease. I did a bunch of searches on how to repair on this forum so I have some good ideas but I'm wondering if I should reinforce the crease/fold areas prevent wear.

Are you using this product?

http://www.amazon.com/Tear-Aid-Fabric-Repair-Patch/dp/B000K6WKNE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1355082948&sr=8-6&keywords=vinyl+seat+repair+kit

I have used the tear aid tape for temporary patches on river rafts while on the river...a much more demanding application and they have held up until I put a proper patch on. For a more permanent fix I would call FWC and have them send you some of the original material and just glue a large patch. It would be easy and you would barely notice it if done right.

I drove my camper down to the beach this morning for the first time so I could change standing up and out of the cold. :)

I noticed that in the sunlight some of the folds on the vinyl from the interior had a few tiny holes (?) along the folds. It looks like the backing material on the vinyl has flaked off. My camper is a 2007 Eagle Shell. My questions is how do I prevent wear along the folds?

Thanks,

Jim

Okay, I ordered 303 cleaner and protectant last night. This afternoon I used dish soap, warm water and a sponge to give the vinyle a wipe down. Here are some of the wear spots. They are not really holes, just wear spots along the crease. No water got through when I rinsed off the soap with a hose fitted with a nozzle

Here are photos of the wear spots:

Interior:

C6887B21-6DAC-4F53-B5F1-F6BB290BAE22-4082-000002096B8B5074.jpg

F65FEFAC-FE21-49CD-A636-16AC19E962D0-4082-00000208DA9126F0.jpg

From the exterior:
A5611C99-7C6E-4D83-B6BE-3A5F9284B2AE-4082-0000020897799FFD.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

This seems like normal wear and tear? Any preventative measures I should take?

Yes, I was surprised too for a 2007.

I don't really think they are holes. I think its just a tiny bits of the vinyl flaking off due to wear and crease. I did a bunch of searches on how to repair on this forum so I have some good ideas but I'm wondering if I should reinforce the crease/fold areas prevent wear.

Are you using this product?

http://www.amazon.com/Tear-Aid-Fabric-Repair-Patch/dp/B000K6WKNE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1355082948&sr=8-6&keywords=vinyl+seat+repair+kit

Not sure if it the exact one, but got one off amazon very similar. Good luck! You canvas looks to be in WAY better condition than mine!

Back
Top Bottom