Waking up to find not much oxygen left in camper.

Also temperature differences would come into play.

Assume "typical" conditions such a light wind 0-5mph and 40*F outside. These would be conservative parameters, but would give us an idea.

Assume "typical" conditions such a light wind 0-5mph and 40*F outside. These would be conservative parameters, but would give us an idea.

I always vent some, hate it to get stuffy and it helps to reduce condensation. From google it looks like butane would need about 12% O2 in N2 to combust.

Ok, working on industrial sites as an engineer, we always used oxygen detectors to monitor safety in confined spaces. 3 people in a small electrical room the size of one of these campers would set off the oxygen detector in way less than 4 hours. We set them at 18 percent. This is why you see fans blowing into rooms or manholes when people are working in there even in the winter. If you don't care to vent slightly, buy an oxygen detector!! Let's see, smoke detector, propane detector, CO detector, where to put the O2 detector??

If the 02 level goes too low, you don't choke or get a headache like with CO, you simply go to sleep and die. The result is the same as going into a high N2 (nitrogen) environment. It is a very pleasant way to die.

By the way, this is a sign of how tight the Four Wheel units are. I was impressed with difficulty of lowering or raising the top without opening the door. The top would just not come down, and going up was really, really difficult and took two people. Venting is the easiest way to prevent problems. It doesn't take much of a vent. I did some calcs and 2 square inches in and out for each person is plenty. No breeze is required.

It doesn't take much of a vent. I did some calcs and 2 square inches in and out for each person is plenty. No breeze is required.

Awesome. Thanks!

(By the way, how did you calculate that? I didn't know where to start.)

Back
Top Bottom