Wall stud location and size?

sameguy

Advanced Member
I'm planning on installing a Lagun table on the front wall of my 2016 Hawk. I tried to use a stud finder but it wouldn't find anything. Interested to know if anyone knows if there is a wall stud in the center of the wall, under the window and how far left and right I can find one. Also wondering how wide and deep they are.

Attachments

• IMG_3158.jpeg
    IMG_3158.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 111
Until you get a more definitive answer you might take a look at the frame photos in this Here Until There blog post about an ARB awning.

Those folks have a 2015 Hawk and the photos were apparently sent to them by FWC when they had a framing question.

I imagine the photos were sent as representative of the frame, not exact documentation of it as frames can vary according to options ordered. Still, you wouldn't think the front wall would change very often.

That reminds me of looking for studs in the front wall of my 01 from the outside. I wanted to add rubber bumpers as they weren't included at the time.

After removing the trim at the bottom of the wall, I found I could run a stiff wire up behind the siding to "look around". I bent the top and bottom of the wire over and parallel (about 3/8" on top, an inch on bottom) so as I slid it up from the bottom, I could try twisting it. And of course it wouldn't twist until the top went above the bottom horizontal frame member. And that told me how high it was. Locating the studs was kind of the same idea-- insert at a likely area, push up past horizontal-member height, and try twisting.

The technique worked for me but the wall of mine has fiberglass insulation and newer ones have styrofoam. Also, the trim on mine didn't have butyl tape behind it so removing and replacing the trim was super simple. And siding wasn't so tight against the frame that I couldn't insert the wire.

The big disadvantage of this technique is the camper has to be off the truck.

Old Crow
thank you for the link, very informative. I spoke with FWC and they recommended NOT attaching that type of table to the front wall in my camper, (hawk shell) said there isn't much back there in the wall to support it. I'll take their advice and come up with another idea. Thinking a pedestal base in the floor with table than can come off and be used as another sleeping platform.

I mounted my Lagun bracket to the vertical sidewall of the camper, between the access holes for the turnbuckles. The table swings around so much you might find you can place the table top in a perfect location for your needs

I just saw an install video where they mounted it like that, looks like a good option I hadn't thought of before.

sameguy said:
-snip-
I spoke with FWC and they recommended NOT attaching that type of table to the front wall in my camper, (hawk shell) said there isn't much back there in the wall to support it. I'll take their advice and come up with another idea. Thinking a pedestal base in the floor with table than can come off and be used as another sleeping platform.
I ran onto this thread today which may interest you....

Front Dinette Hawk Shell Photos and Mods

Look closely at that first photo. It's not a Lagun mount but same idea (sez me without looking at dimensions)

Frosty_1 hasn't been signed in to WtW for a few months but a PM might get to him if you want to ask how well it worked.

Back
Top Bottom