Want to Buy an ATC or FWC for My 2003 Tundra 6' Bed

eggsandlegs

Hey all,

After years of looking, we are ready to go ahead and pull the trigger on a camper for my 2003 Tundra V8 4x4.

I am looking to get into an ATC or FWC. A shell model would be ideal but open to other models as well. I am looking aggressively on the thread on this site with classified notifications as well as Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.

Located in Ventura, CA but willing to drive for the right camper!

Thanks for reading!

-Marshal

Marshal welcome to the cult.
Just keep checking the
Used pop up camper"thread even a couple times a day.
An ATC Bobcat would be a good match for your Tundra.
I have an 2002 Tundra with a ATC Bobcat.

There a lot of campers that are posted.
Good luck.

Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Marshal welcome to the cult.
Just keep checking the
Used pop up camper"thread even a couple times a day.
An ATC Bobcat would be a good match for your Tundra.
I have an 2002 Tundra with a ATC Bobcat.

There a lot of campers that are posted.
Good luck.

Frank
Thank you Frank! I love my Tundra... these are great trucks. How do you like your ATC?

-Marshal

First gen Tundra can carry up to a Hawk (sleeps east-west). I have the 2006 AC Tundra.
I did add airbags and a sway bar along with E rated tires, which are mandatory. I also put on Bilstein shocks.

As Frank said, you just have to watch the forums closely, and be ready to commit after you've checked it out.

eggsandlegs said:
Thank you Frank! I love my Tundra... these are great trucks. How do you like your ATC?

-Marshal
We have had the Bobcat new since 2009. It's been on a Ford Ranger previous to the Tundra in 2011.
Over the 12 years the camper has over 45K miles on it.
Many trips to Yellowstone/Lassen and a couple trips to Denali in Alaska.

The Bobcat and Hawk/Ocelot are great fits for the Tundra.

There are a lot of members with a 1st get Tundra with Hawks/Ocelot/Bobcat/Eagle/Fleet on them.
I went with the airbags on the stock TRD suspension. For our use we have had great service out of our combo.

Frank

Thanks to everyone with input! I am still on the search for a good camper.

My truck has 3 leaf progressive AAL, upgraded rear bumpstops, and icon 2.0 in rear. New Dobinsons front suspension as well. I think this set up should be ok, other than me specifically getting C rated KO2s just a couple months ago (seeking a better ride vs E). Didn’t think I’d “use” the E since I never did on my previous truck except on occasion. Oops!

For those of you who replied to this thread, you may be able to help. I found a 2003 Hawk model for my truck and put a deposit down, I am getting it tomorrow.

Any recommendations as far as the install goes specific to my truck? Best way to mount? I assume it is best to remove my plastic bed liner...

Any help is much appreciated! I am very excited- just want to make sure my ducks are in a row for when I go pick it up.

Thank you!

Congrats on finding a camper! Yes, the plastic bed liner must go. Are you looking for a temporary mount to get it home and then do the final install? How far are you traveling?

ski3pin said:
Congrats on finding a camper! Yes, the plastic bed liner must go. Are you looking for a temporary mount to get it home and then do the final install? How far are you traveling?
Thanks! I am looking for a permanent solution, hopefully. Seller mentioned he could help me install the eye bolts. I am traveling from Reno to Ventura... looks like a pretty trip. 8hr

Congrats on the quick find.The Hawk will be great on your 1st gen Tundra.
Hopefully you can get the eye bolts installed with the owners help.
That would make it easy to transport home.
Enjoy the "new" camper.
Frank

Reviving this thread as I've been doing all sorts of digging today for my gen 1 Tundra. Every Grandby/Hawk I message seems to be about 60" wide, regardless of the year. The gen 1 Tundra bed on my long box is 61 3/4" at the tailgate, however, there are two pillars that provide the back stop for the tailgate closure. Those pillars are only 58 1/4" wide! How the heck does anyone slide a camper into a gen 1 Tundra?? Do you actually have to drop it in behind those pillars? Do people angle grind the pillars off?

JordyC said:
Reviving this thread as I've been doing all sorts of digging today for my gen 1 Tundra. Every Grandby/Hawk I message seems to be about 60" wide, regardless of the year. The gen 1 Tundra bed on my long box is 61 3/4" at the tailgate, however, there are two pillars that provide the back stop for the tailgate closure. Those pillars are only 58 1/4" wide! How the heck does anyone slide a camper into a gen 1 Tundra?? Do you actually have to drop it in behind those pillars? Do people angle grind the pillars off?
Those pillars are somewhat common. My ATC Bobcat was built with what’s called the “Ranger notch” so it would fit on my 2007 Ford Ranger. I suspect that consideration is used by other builders, but can’t say for certain. I suggest you check with builders regarding fitment.

I have heard of people hammering in the pillars to make a camper fit, but that seems a bit brutal.

Back
Top Bottom