Wanted: 90's FWC Eagle, finch, Fleet or similar for Tacoma

Hello WTW,
I've been doing my research and looking high and low for an older Four Wheel Campers slide in camper to fit my 1998 Toyota Tacoma. I am new to the forum so here's my story:

I graduated college a year and a half ago and have been working summers and taking winters off to pursue skiing, climbing, or other adventures (whatever sounds cool whenever) and am thinking that this January a tour of the southern U.S. is in order. I just know that I love seeing the world from behind a steering wheel and getting to climb and ski in new places with exciting people.

Ok, now for the fun stuff. I have an older tacoma. It's in good shape, besides for the requisite bumps and bruises, and I've already added an extra leaf spring in back in preparation for a camper. On any given day, I plan to have in or on the truck; Skis and equipment, climbing gear, water, food, books, clothes, and the random things to help me have a good time and stay comfortable on the road in cold weather/alone. That will probably all come to around 150-200 lbs. (liberal estimate?)

All this taken into account, I love the simplicity that FWC campers offer. I've looked into all the other options and most seem too heavy besides Alaskan's, FWC and All terrain campers. I'm basically at the point in my life where I'm not afraid to turn my only vehicle into an offroad camping fun-mobile. My budget tops out at $5000, which I understand is rather low in this search, but it's what I've got. Oh, and the kicker: the 80's fwc's pop up to 5'10", and I am 6'. I want to stand up straight to put my pants on! So, 90's small truck camper that can handle offroad abuse and offer the simplicity and reliability that won't hold me back. Hit me up with what you've got at 970-309-0579 or shoot me a private message.
Happy trails,
Luke

What you really want is not an Eagle, but a Ranger II, twenty years old and in good shape. Frankly your budget might be a little low, but miracles do occur. It's just that by definition miracles occur infrequently, as if they were more common we would call them something else. A couple of tips:

Move to Southern California (the overwhelming majority of FWC from that era are still near the site of their birth), stash that 5K in a .50 cal ammo can and be ready to POUNCE when one of those pops up on craigslist. Forget ebay, all the action is on craigslist.

I'd suggest an 80's Fleet (works with the tailgate down) but, you'd have to move to Colorado, and it sounds like that height thing wouldn't work for you.

Other suggestion: Dirtbag it. I am too old to dirtbag it anymore, but it can be done. Here are three good examples/resources:

If I were in your shoes this is what I would do:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/53551-found-a-great-camper-shell-camper-idea!

Steph Davis is a world class climber, this is how she rolls. Its basic as hell but I actually lived in my truck like this for a few summers in Utah in the 90's:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/105060603779731490/

This is totally ghetto, and totally awesome, in equal measure and at the same time. Plus he understands he brilliance of Linux :
http://cragalaska.com/camper/camper_tips.html

My 2002 ranger was 5'10 inside.. Im 6'1", I could stand straight up, but only in the vent square...was never that big a deal, I wouldn't let it hold you back if you find a good camper.. And, very good advice on having the 5g's stashed and ready... usually the first responder to an ad. Is the new owner

TT

Welcome to the forum. I started looking for a camper several months before I graduated college and it took me over a year and a half to find the right camper (for me it was an eagle). I routinely searched craigslist adds from Washington to California and as far inland as Idaho and Nevada. And when one popped up on craigslist for $3500 I drove 500+ miles to look at it/buy it. As Imix said be ready to POUNCE on one. The cheaper ones will require a little more maintenance and have a few more quirks but for me that is part of the fun.

Craigslist has a awesome "saved search" function. Basically you can set parameters: ie, make, model, price, location, etc, and if an ad fits those parameters then Craigslist will send you an email with a link to the ad.

Hit me up if your ever in the Pacific Northwest area with your skis. Oh and here is a teaser photo from spring skiing last year.

gallery_4850_815_729328.jpg

Happy Camper Hunting

Maybe check out the Ranger for sale on this forum. It's on a T100 in Boise, but maybe he would sell the camper alone. The Ranger would fit on your Tacloma amd the extra room is nice to have.

Thanks for all the replies! I am actually headed to Greeley tomorrow to pick up a four wheel Fleet from the 80's (Tomas Tierra, you inspired me). It's had all the necessary work done to it to make it totally road ready and just needs a few small carpentry things. Not too mention I'm paying way less than I thought I might. Psyched!
Koluckum, I actually lived in Leavenworth last year and would love to get together and ski this winter. I'll probably be headed that way sometime in February. Hopefully it's as good as last February!
Enjoy and happy travels everybody!
Luke

Back
Top Bottom