Wanted: Basic Vent Flat Lid

ckent323

The bracket on the underside of the Basic Vent lid in the roof above the overcab bed broke.

I am trying to find a metal or opaque replacement lid.

I believe the vent was made by Fantastic Vent (now owned by Dometic) because it has the bracket offset to one side (unlike many of the competitor vents which have a bracket centered in the lid).

I am willing to buy an entire vent in order to get the opaque cover because I am not having any luck finding one online. All the replacement options I find are plastic, transparent and dome shaped not flat.

Suggestions welcome.

Craig

I am on a month long trip but I pulled out the entire vent from my 2018 to replace with a powered one. It was flatter than the Maxxfan that replaced it, not sure if it's your idea of flat though. When I get back at the end of July I'll snap some pics and if it works for you you can have it

bigdood,

Here is a picture of the cover I am looking for. If yours is dark plastic instead of metal I woould still be interested.

(click on it to enlarge it)

full

Ronin,

Thanks for the link Yes I did check seveal days ago. That is what I am looking for but they appear to be out of stock.

I will try a surplus RV place next. Fingers crossed something turns up. Since it is over the bed and we are going to the land of the midnight Sun it would be nice to have an opaque metal cover instead of the translucent plactic that seems to be all that is avilable rtight now..

Kokopelli,

Thanks for the link.

Sadly I am pretty sure it is plastic and translucent. It seems that the metal covers (which importantly bock light) are no longer available. I wonder why?

Craig... I just for grins looked at the buy sell forum because vent wanted raised my curiosity.

On my 2015 Hawk flatbed I removed both vents and replaced with Maxx. I still have the entire front vent assembly that is powerless. One could add a fan unit if they wanted to. The dome is poly plastic material.

Attached is 6 images to show what it is. Not looking for any money for it but if it is what you are looking for I would just need funds for the shipping.

Patrick
20210701_115335.jpg
20210701_123158.jpg
20210701_123219.jpg

Craig, I ordered K4020-81 (Solid white). last August through a RV repair shop in Port Coquitlam BC. It is identical to the smoked unit in Kokopelli's post above. I could not find a US Supplier who would ship to Canada (and the border is still closed).

It took 10 weeks to get it (made in Sweden, shipped to Dometic in Illinois, then to BC). I made a lid from angled aluminum and flat aluminum stock. It weighed 3lb 10oz. While it worked, the motor on the crank struggled with the weight, so that's when I ordered the replacement. The new white lid is just over 2lbs..

The crank arm attaches to a molded plastic post in the lid. this post broke off twice while traveling. The first time, super glue got it back together. The second time, when it broke, the lid also broke off above the hinge I found the lid jammed under my roof racks when I got home.

I used to travel with both the front camper window open, and the rear truck cab window open to permit our cat to roam while travelling. Air pressure changes in the camper at highway speeds was the cause of the post breaking.

Grant

Frank,
The Fantastic vent uses an offset bracket. Competitors (Ventline, Elixir, Hengs) use a bracket that is centered. The metal cover I am seeing has a center bracket.

I suppose I could pull the rest of the vent out asnd repllace it but would ather not.

What about spray painting the plastic ones on the inside with a heavy black paint to block out all light? The black ones already block out a lot of light.

Have you tried calling them? My vent lid blew off in a Santa Ana and they sent one for free, I just paid shippping. Fantastic sent me free parts in the past as well. I was very impressed Dometic kept that customer service ethos, the didn’t have to.

Back
Top Bottom