Wanted newish Dometic small 2 or 3 way fridge BC

wetcoast

If you are thinking of upgrading to an Engle or ARB can you sell me your small Dometic propane fridge? I can pick up in AB, BC, WA, OR or even CA!

Thanks

Wish I'd known this a couple of months ago. I removed a really nice 3way fridge from my '08 Eagle, and added an Engel 2way. Rats.

Hi Wetcoast, I have a 2012, Dometic 2.0 cu/ft., 3-way fridge in my FWC Hawk. Is this the type of fridge you're interested in? I'm thinking about going to a two-way, but I need to do some research on the subject before I commit...such as: Can I replace the 3-way with a 2-way in the same spot? Is the process somewhat easy? What do I do with the existing propane lines feeding the fridge I have now?
So, if this is the fridge you're looking for, let me know....we can change from this site over to our email to discuss this further. I live in the Eureka area in northern California, but I visit it Oregon often and we can meet some where in between?
Happy trails...

Yeah, that would work for me. I could plan a paddle board trip on the Oregon coast. For the propane line, I think you can just put a brass cap either on the end of the line or at the T junction. The vent would be the only obstacle, I would need one and you might not want a hole in the side of your camper. Do your research and keep me in mind!

wetcoast said:
Yeah, that would work for me. I could plan a paddle board trip on the Oregon coast. For the propane line, I think you can just put a brass cap either on the end of the line or at the T junction. The vent would be the only obstacle, I would need one and you might not want a hole in the side of your camper. Do your research and keep me in mind!
Cutting a hole(s) is not a big deal, measure twice. Need two vents for the propane, only one vent for the DC fridge. I have seen the bottom vent turned into a small storage area with a door on the outside.

FWIW:

I have an ice box in my 2013 Hawk and I'm researching out 2-way refrigerators and specifically models that will fit into the area where the ice box is. I've been looking at the 2-way Dometic and Engel models. I was confused by the Engel SR-70 model dimensions so I called them to as what they mean by Length and Width and I'm glad I did. The unit info below shows the cut out dimensions. Their length is actually the measurement of the refrig left to right if you are looking at the door. Their width measurement is the depth of the unit from front to back. Based on my ice box opening it'll fit with only a small amount of cutting.

Model: SR70F-U1
Volume: 60 Qt
Power consumption: Variable from 0.5 - 2.7Amps (12V DC)
Power Source: 12V/24V DC/ 110V AC
Cut Out Dimensions: 18.27" x 20.63" x 20.43" (LxWxH)
External Dimension: 21" x 23" x 21" (LxWxH)
Net Weight: 44.8 lbs

Is there a way to install the Truckfridge and not vent it to the exterior? I don't have the exterior refrig vents and I'd rather not cut the siding to install them either. Could the Truckfridge be vented into the interior of the camper?

Bwht4x4 said:
Is there a way to install the Truckfridge and not vent it to the exterior? I don't have the exterior refrig vents and I'd rather not cut the siding to install them either. Could the Truckfridge be vented into the interior of the camper?
When I was at FWC the sales guy told me the DC fridge did not need to be vented outside. They had done one that way. Stan walked by and said it did not work needs to be vented. IF you made some type of vent that has a fan it MIGHT work with an inside vent. I decided to cut a vent in my Hawk. Cut out the inside first to see where the wires and frame is. I used a multi-tool to cut the siding.
vent+fridge.jpg

Did did add a fan to get better ventilation.
P1110742.JPG

I think I'm going to go with the Truckfridge model 65. It's a re-labeld Isotherm Cruise 65, which are supposedly pretty solid, quite and efficient units.

http://www.indelwebastomarineusa.com/Products/us/html/8140.html

http://www.indelwebastomarineusa.com/Products/Fridges_and_Freezers/us/html/9907.html

I'm going to have FWC put a vent in the camper to vent the refrig, but I want to see if there is a better style/quality of vent then the aluminum louvered vents that I see. Anyone know of a better quality vent then the standard aluminum?

billharr said:
When I was at FWC the sales guy told me the DC fridge did not need to be vented outside. They had done one that way. Stan walked by and said it did not work needs to be vented. IF you made some type of vent that has a fan it MIGHT work with an inside vent. I decided to cut a vent in my Hawk. Cut out the inside first to see where the wires and frame is. I used a multi-tool to cut the siding.
vent+fridge.jpg

Did did add a fan to get better ventilation.
P1110742.JPG
Bill,

How big of a vent did you install on your camper for the refrig? Do you know what the dimensions are and recall where you bought it?

I got the vent from FWC measured it is 21" x 8 1/2" I thing I cut the hole about an inch less in each dimension. You can find on line. For a couple of bucks more I like to buy from FWC for the great service.

EDIT: the small fan I used was less than $5.00 shipped, only uses .25 amp should help cooling the fridge and have it run less.

Bill

I haven't decided yet. There's a lot going on this spring. Let me confirm a couple of things and get back to you.

Bill,

It looks like we're going to be in Marin for Easter, which is a 4.5 hour drive one way. The rally is the following weekend and is a 5.5 hour drive. Not wanting to do back-to-back weekends of driving it looks like we'll have to pass this year on the rally.

BTW, what are your thoughts on this type of ABS louvered vent?

http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/1790-louvered-vent

Also, were the wires that run vertically through your vent there when you cut-out and removed the siding? If I attempt this on my own I'm going to want/need to know what's behind my siding before I plunge a roto-zip through it.

That abs vent should work fine, looking on line there are a lot of vents that might be better than the one I have. 20/20 hind site I might have put in this hinged vent. Easy access if you needed and easy to open and block if in a very dusty area.

7314_st.jpg

The vertical wires are FWC.s notice the plastic inserts where they go through the alum bar. They did a good job protecting the wires. I also worried about what was behind the panels before I cut. I used a utility knife from the inside to cut out a small area to see what was there first. The thin plywood inside cuts easy. The areas I checked were going to be behind the fridge or under the cabinet. I also used a ice pick to find the alum frames to mount brackets, in areas you could not see after the build. I also drilled a very small hole (number drill) from the inside to check where the hole our side would be. If you look under my vent you will see a very small screw head in one of these holes. The vent wold have covered the HAWK logo so I raised where I put the hole. You now know where I screwed up don't tell anyone. :)

Back
Top Bottom