Wanted: Used FWC for 02 Tundra (CO)

scheefdog

Advanced Member
This is an awesome forum! I have been reading up on pop-up campers and it looks like a four wheel camper is the way to go for me. I have an 02 Tundra Ext. Cab and I want to make it my home away from home. I would like to spend under $2k on a used camper as I have the skills to fix it up. I'm thinking I would prefer an Eagle model to keep it small and light. I am located in Colorado.

Hi, For $2 K you should consider an '80's model Hawk as the used Eagle are over $5k. 4WC will narrow the rear of the camper to fit your tailgate opening. A friend in Northern California has a Hawk for sale around that price. Call Phil Faulkner 530-249-3688. He has an old ad on wander the west gear exchange from mid 2010. Phil has 4WC narrow the rear on his Grandby to fit his full size Dodge pickup and factory did an excellent job. Email stan@fourwh.com for a price quote if interested. - Jim

Really $5k for an 80's or 90's camper? That seems crazy expensive. If that is the case I will just custom build one, surfing around it looks like people have done some cool builds.

I found a 1989 Phoenix short bed camper for $800 on craigslist that is somewhat close. Looks like it is in decent shape. Is this comparable to a FWC? Does it have the aluminum frame?

FWC and ATC are in a category all by themselves, light weight and durable off road ain't cheap. You can find all kinds of other pop ups out there a lot cheaper but they won't hold up to the abuse and will be much heavier.

Thanks for the input guys. I have been scouring craigslist and got lucky. I found a 1987 Fleet that was kind of close for $1500. I would say the camper is in good shape considering the age and totally usable. I like to tinker so I'm sure I'll modify a few things. Here is a pic on the drive home.

Attachments

• 4wheel fleet-sm.jpg
    4wheel fleet-sm.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 208
Thanks for the input guys. I have been scouring craigslist and got lucky. I found a 1987 Fleet that was kind of close for $1500. I would say the camper is in good shape considering the age and totally usable. I like to tinker so I'm sure I'll modify a few things. Here is a pic on the drive home.

Congratulations, Tundras and 4WC just go together. You will find lots of good information here.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom