Wanting to relocate tie downs

d tree's

Currently I have it tied down like the previous owner did and I dont like it , looked on fwc and saw how the newer campers are tied down , my question could I through bolt down in the ply through truck bed with a bolt flat washer lock nut in all for corners ? , is there an advantage to turn buckle to the top of the wings of the camper ? seems like its weaker due to pulling on the plywood constantly ,D

PS its an 85 Grandby

d48908c0.jpg

Mine is bolted thru the floor in the four corners. I used 3/8 grade 5 bolts, with a large fender washer on the topside. Underneath, I made some 3x5x3/16 thk steel plates to spread the load across several of the ribs on the bottom side of the bed.
You want to be sure that you bolt thru the raised portion of the rib on the top of the bed (hope that is not confusing).

Also, I have a 1/4 thk rubber bed liner under the camper that helps to keeps it from moving. It's been that way over 5 years now with no problems.

Attachments

• DSC00923 (Large).JPG
    DSC00923 (Large).JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 122
Mine is bolted thru the floor in the four corners. I used 3/8 grade 5 bolts, with a large fender washer on the topside. Underneath, I made some 3x5x3/16 thk steel plates to spread the load across several of the ribs on the bottom side of the bed.
You want to be sure that you bolt thru the raised portion of the rib on the top of the bed (hope that is not confusing).

Also, I have a 1/4 thk rubber bed liner under the camper that helps to keeps it from moving. It's been that way over 5 years now with no problems.

DR could you please post a topside picture thanks , D

My setup is pretty similar, except I used steel plates about that size on both the top and bottom. Also used a lockwasher and nylock nuts just because I'm paranoid like that. No problems ever.

Just cut and drill the plates, put them where you want, mark with a sharpie and drill. Be sure to measure where the holes will be (in relation to the underside of the bed before drilling) and be aware of and readt to remove things like spare tire, brake/fuel lines, etc.

Sorry, no pics. I'm out of town right now.

Here is another one of the bottom and the top. Finding the proper location is a bit tricky. You need to be sure you have access underneath and you want the hole to be in the center of the rib on the bed. I also used a piece of rubber between the plate and the bed.

Attachments

• DSC00925 (Large).JPG
    DSC00925 (Large).JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC00924 (Large).JPG
    DSC00924 (Large).JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 135
Back
Top Bottom