Warner Lakes Basin - June 2020

Man you guys are on a roll! Outstanding trip report, great subject matter too! Thanks for the ride along!
Wayne

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks Ski.
Quite a stone wall.Could you figure out how long it was?
Lots of great rock art.
You always find such great art.
Frank
Frank, we don't know the length and could only imagine the amount of work it took with careful stacking of the stones. Someone sure knew what they were doing to build it. Thanks for the kind comments. More to come! :)

Thanks guys for the nice comments! There is so much to see around every corner. We're going to do our best to see it all! :)

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Wonderful trip reports! Our thanks to you and The Lady for letting us tag along!

WjColdWater said:
Man you guys are on a roll! Outstanding trip report, great subject matter too! Thanks for the ride along!
Wayne

ski3pin said:
Frank, we don't know the length and could only imagine the amount of work it took with careful stacking of the stones. Someone sure knew what they were doing to build it. Thanks for the kind comments. More to come! :)
Ok, you got me curious. I measured it using google earth. Approximately 400 feet of length, nearly contains 1/3 of an acre.

Your trip reports are great, and have occasionally turned into my trip planning, plus I always get hours of fun trying to tease out your route on Google maps.

This trip is no exception, I've found the stone corral and what I believe is the spot where the Old Stone Bridge crossed the Narrows, but what I really want to know now is what that building up on the ridge to the South East of the Stone Bridge is? It looks like some kind of green house out in the middle of nowhere, and there are two Identical white pickups headed toward it.

Secret Government installation? Off grid bug out hide away? Out of the way weed grow facility? I'll probably never know but now I want to go and find out!

slash2, good eye! That's the glass house. Here's one online post that gives some information on it -

Glass House

Read the first comment below the post.

Thanks for the nice comment also! :)

Power is back on----and just in time to read this latest adventure. Sure wish I was our there with you guys instead of sitting in this smelly smoky place, but guarding the homestead comes first. Those types of walls seem to be a hall mark of the Northern Basin, some books say the Chinese or Basque built them, but ask any Indian and they say they did; it was depending on location, probably all of the before mentioned. Sure looks like some fine country to adventure in with lot's of neat things to do and see and if the access was better me thinks the area would be in allot worse shape! Did some work years ago up on some of those northern high land-nice and pristine stuff.More places to WTW in-sure hope those new bionic body parts are ready soon :p! Again thanks for taking us along!

Smoke

ski3pin said:
slash2, good eye! That's the glass house. Here's one online post that gives some information on it -

Glass House

Read the first comment below the post.

Thanks for the nice comment also! :)
Mystery solved, Thanks Ski!

Isn't that stone corral visible from the road going up to the refuge or am I thinking of something else?

Thanks for the report. If you have not read William Kittredge's book, "Owning It All" do so. He grew up ranching in the Warner Valley. The stone corral is great - have seen similar in placed in Nevada, but much smaller. Another place to put on the list!

Taku said:
Thanks for the report. If you have not read William Kittredge's book, "Owning It All" do so. He grew up ranching in the Warner Valley. The stone corral is great - have seen similar in placed in Nevada, but much smaller. Another place to put on the list!
Good to see another Kittredge fan.

Also check out Hole in the Sky. It is IMHO Kittredge's best work about this part of the world. Worth the effort for sure. I can't spend any time in the vicinity of the Warner Valley (frequent visitor) without thinking of his history there. We have mined many great quotes from this book to illuminate the landscape in the Oregon Wild Desert calendar that I help organize for our local desert protection environmental group.
An Oregon treasure for sure.

Another good read is Bill Kitt, by D.L. (Jack) Nicol and Amy Thompson. They are cousins of William Kittredge. While they are in disagreement with Kittredge about the reasons the MC Ranch sold, it’s a great book that documents SE Oregon history. Wonderful stories like the one about Ross Dollarhide Sr riding a bicycle across the desert to get a job as a buckeroo at the Whitehorse Ranch.

It is probably out of print now, but worth searching for a copy.

Nice to see the fans out there. I want to say that the stone corral is mentioned in one of the books. been too long since i have read them. have to haul them out and reread.

Back
Top Bottom