Warning! Battery overheat (Intimidator AGM type)

Barrels

I want to share that on a recent trip, our third with our new Hawk, I felt the battery compartment was warm during a rest stop. No fuses were blown or anything smoking but the battery itself was about 110 degrees. I disconnected it and as soon as I could purchased another battery. Everything looks ok on the installation and the new (non-AGM) battery works fine.

I wrote FWC about the issue and they directed me to the battery manufacturer to see about a warranty refund. I had hoped they would be more concerned and involved - especially since I think this problem represents a fire hazard. I also hoped they would be more helpful with the warranty issue rather than just passing me on. But we are where we are.

I dont know what might be wrong, but I tried trickle charging the battery and got the same result so I am pretty sure that the 'Intimidator' battery is at fault.

If there is another way to alert owners of this battery please let me know.

Remember, FWC is down to a skeleton crew due to Covid-19. Maybe they felt it would be quicker for you to contact the battery mfg. directly. It isn't out of the question for there to be a bad battery once in awhile. It also doesn't mean all their batteries are bad. Curious why you would switch from an AGM battery. What year is your camper? When did you take delivery? Do you have a single battery?

Was the battery being charged when it became hot, either through solar, alternator or converter? Any idea what the battery voltage was at this point? I suspect this is more likely to be a charging issue than a battery issue.

You are right, more info is needed. I'm curious why anyone would stop and open the battery compartment on a whim. Was there a previous un-mentioned issue? Just seems strange to me.
rando said:
Was the battery being charged when it became hot, either through solar, alternator or converter? Any idea what the battery voltage was at this point? I suspect this is more likely to be a charging issue than a battery issue.

My old regular lead acid did the same thing when it got old. Wife was sitting on step and said it's hot. Stopped at Walmart, got a new one and problem went away. Had solar on mine.

Most of us use AGM for a few different reasons but a common one is the off gassing issue associated with a wet cell lead acid. Be cautious if the battery compartment is not vented.

Back
Top Bottom