Washboard Roads

John D

I cringe driving over washboard roads. I'm very interested in any tips or insight into doing this with the least damage to the equipment, particularly in connection with the Dalton and Dempster Highways.

Not much you can do. Drive where it is less washboarded and watch for traffic comming the other way. Adjust your speed so you get that happy stage when you are skimming across the top. Have adjustable shocks and turn them all the way down. Long prolong driving will heat up shocks and could shorten the life of a shock. Lower air pressure in the tires, but that will also cause more heat in the tires and uneven wear and possibe sidewall damage. You'll have to have a way to air them back up.

I like to hear other tips.

John D, I don't know where the Dalton and Dempster Highways are, but PV Stoy said it. Lower your air pressure. I usually start with 15 lbs lower and adjust from there depending on the severity of the washboards. I carry a "standard" 260 psi pump and it takes forever to fill those babies back up when I need to, so you learn how much to reduce pressure in relation to the road. God, how many hours/days/weeks have I spent rattling my teeth over washboards? Some people say speed up and it gets better, but I don't think so. With 6 vehicles over 23 years, I have never found that to be true. I say, slow down, enjoy the view and be glad you are driving over a desert washboard road. The alternative could be dismal. Besides, the faster you drive over washboards, the worse they get for others. There are several sites on the internet exploring the physics of washboards, their origins and their perpetuation. Apparently, the faster you go, the more your tires dig into the low spots creating a greater depth. I don't recall the reason for their origins. The next time you see some guy (or girl) creating a dust cloud seen for miles on one of them roads, driving too damned fast, flag them over and educate them on the physical attributes of washboards. Everytime I have done that, people look at me like I'm a crazyman, but they seem to slow down. No need to hurry out there unless you have an emergency.

When the mythbusters tested it, this was their conclusion.

Myth statement Status Notes
A car will achieve a smoother ride on a rough outback road by being driven faster. Confirmed As far as driving on non-washboard roads, there was no solid conclusion due to a conflict of data. However, when they tested a "washboard" road, the build team were able to confirm the theory that driving at a higher speed will indeed cause the wheels of a car to travel over just the ridges and not into the troughs, allowing for a relatively smoother ride.

I use a E-Z Deflator for lowering the tire pressure in my 33x12.50x16.5 tires. To inflate them back up I carry a 1050 Masterflow "tsunami" 12V air compressor. It takes about 15 minutes to air up. I have found that lowering the tire pressure works wonders on my dental work as well as my nerves. I have used this on the Baja 1000 and also on a recent trip to Death Valley. If able I find traveling about 30-35mph seems to smooth out the ride also. Something else to think about is after you have traveled down "the road to hell" is to get out and check for loose nuts, bolts and accessories you might be ready to have fall off.:D

Washboard...

Having lived in Alaska for 22 years, I traveled the Dalton Hwy or "haul road" as it is known by Alaskans twice as far as the Arctic circle and the Dempster Hwy as far as the Eagle River which is as far as it went in 1976 when I did that. Another road that was phenomenal when I drove it was the Canol road in Yukon....at that time it went as far as the Northwest territories border and was unmaintained further.....it was a pipeline road built during the second world war at the same time as the Alaska Hwy. and the pipeline was never used. It will take you into actual wilderness as will all three roads. After having backpacked most of my life in what are thought of as wilderness areas here in the lower 48 I was astonished at true wilderness up there.....it should be experienced in a lifetime before it disappears.

I experienced almost no washboard on any of the three roads.....that is not to say that the roads were not bad..just very little washboard at the time I was there.
The Dalton is extremely well maintained but has a large amount of heavy truck traffic. If a road is graded often it will usually take out the washboard. My experience on the Dempster was when it had nearly no traffic and before it went to Inuvik so who knows now that it is used more. I have read many reports of both roads but as my main interest is motorcycles, it has been about bike travel on them. My experience on the Dalton was by moto and my wife had a major bike crash due to mechanical failure. The road at that time was freshly graded.
In the 70's the Canol was only used by the occassional prospector and/or hunter and was not maintained well. They were doing preliminary work for some major mining efforts then and it is a tossup now....needs research.

I find that traveling at speed over washboard creates vehicle drift and as has been said, causes washboard to worsen...that is what causes it in the first place. It is also extemely hard on the suspension and the entire vehicle.

In Mexico it is called "permanente" and on the Baja is extreme in places...in fact the worse I have found anywhere. Road graders are almost non-existant there. Another place that I found it to be extreme is on the road to the "racetrack" in Death Valley as well as the road to the Saline valley hotsprings. They are pretty slow to grade those outback roads and they are embarrassed enough by the Saline "clothing optional" hot springs that they do not encourage people to go there and do not maintain the road. Once they maintain the road it will cause them to create more rules and control of the hotsprings so let's hope it is a long time in coming. So far all they have done since taking over from the BLM is install better pit toilets...at least when I was last there several years ago.
Brian

I lower my tire pressure and up my speed as well.

I bought an air horn compressor 15 years ago from JC Whitney for 75 bucks. Its mounted on rubber feet in an ammo box with 25 feet of hose. It takes labout 20 mins to air up with it and gives me time for a cigar and soda while I wait.

I cant tell you how many times I'v used that little compressor to help others air up when their high dollar off road system failed.

I think I'd like to try the EZ deflators but again the time doesnt bother me. I figure I'm camping and try to slow down and enjoy the moment.

Jay

washboard

Personally, I have only found a slow speed to work, but I have never tried airing down and don't plan to- I like to keep moving, albeit slow. Sometimes to a crawl. Sometimes I try driving on the oncoming side of the road as the ridges have a different profile and aren't quite as harsh. I have found that in trying to go fast, it is easy to lose control and the last thing I want is to lose it in the middle of nowhere.

Brian and Brett13 pretty much said it. Just slow down. Reduce pressure and slow down and you'll be in a different world. Like I said, advocates of speeding up just makes the washboards worse for others (like me). If everyone knew this, we probably wouldn't be having this post. Pretty much any more, I see people in the outback screaming over roads, washboards or not. Not everyone, but a good portion of them are bringing their driving habits from the city to the desert.
SLOW DOWN. That's why you are out there, isn't it?

Did a Google search on washboards and came back with this link,

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=435184

From what I got out of the reading is once the wave starts due to soil type and lack of moisture each wheel will make the wave taller due to the suspension of the truck or car. The higher the pressure of the tire and the hardness will make it worse at any speed. Trucks with a light rear end will make it worse. Heavy trucks is not as bad. The wash board effect will increase because gerneral we all go at the same speed. It is more at areas when we speed up or slow down and turn at hill grades and intersections.

From what I read when we travel slow enough for a smoth ride we are not hitting the upward slope of the next wave. But every tire traveled is added to the wave-washboard effect.

Having more weight on the rear and airing down lessens the washboard growth and makes a smoother ride inside.

washboard

Interesting. Sounds like the same thing that causes moguls on the ski slopes. I like moguls, just not washboard.

washboard...

Patrick...good link, thanks. Good info on there about the how and why of it. Also how to not add to the problem.
Brian

Back
Top Bottom