Water container suggestions?

I haul my extra water in a plastic diesel can. Same thing as the red gas cans at walmart, but it is yellow and since I don't have a diesel the only thing I will put in it is water. Much more heavy duty than the water jugs they sell and they have a nice pour hose and a vent for easy filling.

Igot a couple of these at WallyWorld for $15. They holld 7 gallons and work great.

Attachments

• 499221.jpg
    499221.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 397
Igot a couple of these at WallyWorld for $15. They holld 7 gallons and work great.

These things leak! See the breather hole? When the rig rocks or bounces around off road, water sloshes up to that hole and runs down the side. I've had many wet rugs because of those things.

You're starting sound like Salty.. The Dodge has been to Saline 3 times and the KOFA's twice. Whats a little water among friends.

Tough crowd

Brett13, i agree with you i have 2- 5 gal,2 -7 gal (like jays) and mine all leak on the road trail and when they are setting in position to use spout,so now they set in my garage.since we drink a lot of juice i have for the past year been saving and using "Langer "brand or also Costco brand apple juice 1 gal bottles,heavy duty plastic,took awhile to get it figured out as to where to store but once i did i have had two trips to saline valley with no spills or breaks,and that is with the bottles sometimes ending up side down!.of course i always use my metal 5 gal igloo container as my fail safe water carrier!(30 +years and still going strong)
You have to remember Jay drives a Dodge so he really do not get to go on very rough roads,if he was still driving his vw or bronco his would leak to!
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,Lqhikers

Jay, this is a tough crowd. Even Les is bashing Dodges.

I've had several water jugs with a spout and breather hole. They always travel standing on end, with both holes at the top, and secured so as not to fall over. One way to avoid leakage while travelling is to fill them with just a little less than the maximum amount of water.

Sorry, this is off topic

I hear you Les. Our state controller recently spent $2 million on new office furniture. Our state legislatures are unwilling to accept a pay cut, reduction in outrageous per Diem reimbursements, or an IOU from the state. However, they're more than willing to cut funding for schools, force state workers to take unpaid days off, and give use tax payers IOU's for any refund we may be do, while at the same time consider raising taxes and running even more business out of California. What a bunch of *CENSORED* hypocrites. At least my state senator, Able Maldonado, is trying to publicize some of the corruption in Sacramento.

To add something to the water container question, I also carry a bunch of 1/2 liter bottles which I can fit in a lot of little spaces. I easily have about 2-3 gallons worth of water squirreled away in the camper and cab, while not taking space away from other storage.

Ed,
I just thought everyone didn't fill the jug up to the brim but now you've exposed them. I'm used to working a tough room.

Les,
Cheer up my pension is dependent on CalPers. Can you say nervous?

We've been freezing water in half gallon orange juice bottles for years now for our block ice. I'm sure others here do the same. Do I have to state the obvious on filling them before freezing?

For the dogs....

New to this forum so here goes first post. I hunt so need extra water for dog and dogs at times and the below is what a friend saw that writes articles for Retriever Journal. This works well.

You might consider insulating. These obviously will freeze in winter. There are ways around this too.

Just run the hose down to the outside hook up for the camper water.

I am planning to add this to the top of the camper (once I find one - late model Hawk - seem to be second in line when I call).

http://www.northernflight.com/watercarrier.htm

Paul

Hmmmm cut to fit in the cooler..... I think I'll try that.

Water weighs almost 8.5 lbs a gallon and almost 63.5 lbs a cubic foot. I would really caution against putting that on top of the camper.

The roof capacity, according to 4 wheel is 1000 lbs evenly distributed (snow load) or 200 to 300 lbs for such things as canoes and kayaks.

Just a choice of what your carrying....

Unless they are wrong on their specs.

The roof capacity, according to 4 wheel is 1000 lbs evenly distributed (snow load) or 200 to 300 lbs for such things as canoes and kayaks.

Just a choice of what your carrying....

Unless they are wrong on their specs.

Sure the camper can take it but you have to remember you're the one that has to lift the roof and everything that's on it... Maybe squat pressing a couple hundred pounds each time will be a breeze for you but I sure wouldn't want to do it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the Super Siphon suggestion - this thing is awesome and just what the doctor ordered. It works SO well that I had initially put a gallon jug up there and went to get my camera and before I got back the jug was empty and the siphon pulled it off the roof and made kind of a mess as I tried to catch the mostly empty container :eek:

picture.php

My new Fleet came with some Whale parts and with a brochure about other Whale products, including their portable pump kit. Check it out at whalepumps.com or at Camping World UK. This tool looks like it could have many applications, but I cannot find a U.S. dealer and shipping from Ireland costs as much as the product.

The Whale portable pump kit I am looking for (GP 1642) is a submersible pump with a 12.5 foot power cord that plugs into a 12v outlet or attaches to a battery with alligator clips. The business end is an adjustable nozzle on the end of a 12.5 foot food grade hose.

Try Vital Water Products in their parts section. It pops up on Google.
They have the higher flow model Gp1652 that they sell as a part for $53 plus shipping.
You would have to add a hose and lengthen the cord but you can make it work with hardware store parts. It's the only US source for the pumps that I have found.
I made an electric water filter like the one they sell and the pump works fine. It will empty a 5 gallon bucket in about a minute and a half.

Dsrtrat

Back
Top Bottom