Water filters

craig333

Riley's Human
I've decided I want to install a water filter under the sink. No need to filter the entire system. This way I'll stop carrying extra water for making coffee and get a bit more use out of the system. Looking at campingworld theres no lack of options. Just wondering if anyone has done it, what they used and if they're satisfied with the results.

Me too Craig, I also would be interested in any suggestions, seems all I use the camper water for is with the water heater to do dishes, and my weekly shave and "bath"-don't even give the dog water from the system,. and it would be nice not lugging my 6 gal. fresh water can around all the time! I couple of years ago, even had my system cleaned out of all that crap that was in there.

Smoke

I regularly use the water system in the camper for everything, coffee, cooking, drinking, and even dog water. I picked up a SeaTech water filter at West Marine that goes in line with the fill hose so all water entering the tank is filtered. They're cheap, filter to 10 microns, remove 95% of chlorine, etc, and are good for about 1500 gallons before needing replacement. They're even on sale right now.....

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=986387&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50632&subdeptNum=50638&classNum=50642

Internal threads..mine's fairly old and is blue. With a life of 1500 gallons, I haven't yet filled the 10 gallon tank 150 times :)

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 106
I also filter the water when filling before it enters the tank and use a Camco 40631 EVO Premium RV Water Filter. It has a 5 micron filter. Looked for the smallest filter I could find mainly to keep sediment out off the tank. I was more concerned about needing to add water while on the road.

I use my water tank/system for everything....drinking, coffee, tea, tang, etc. as is and don't see the need for a filter. I drink and use the same water at home.

CWD

May I divert (augment?) this thread to the question of getting water into your tank. There are many hoses on the market but only a few are approved from drinking water. Does this really matter? With an RV and shore water sitting at pressure for hours I can understand it might matter. But if you are going to rinse the hose and then just fill your tank and then dry and store the hose what difference does it really make? Anyone have any thoughts on this? Especially for products such as the Xhose which say in big letters not to use for drinking and then in smaller letters "that you might have left it outside where your neighbor's dog might have pissed down it."

Well, I fill my tank with the garden hose. Does it matter? Only if you have the health department looking over your shoulder.

We have a drinking water approved RV hose that we carry for filling while on the road, but at home I use the garden hose.

I'm contemplating adding a filter, but I don't think that we'd stop carrying the 5er of drinking water. Mostly because I'd like to have more than 10 gallons along on any long trip. I also want something portable so that if need be I can re-fill the coolant system.

The approved water hose for drinking water does not have anything to do with the water pressure. It has to do with the type of PVC that is used in its construction. Non-potable water hoses will leach bad chemicals into the water as it is used. So drinking from one of those hoses once in a while may not be that harmful, but used on a regular basis to fill water tanks for drinking water is not a good idea.

There is a difference between food grade hoses and the garden variety : )

Our water tastes fine from the tank, which is freshly filled with well water for each trip. I wonder if the folks that have taste issues are using city (chlorinated) water. I'm sure our 2008 tank is no different than many others, so maybe it is the quality of the water you start with.

I'm using city water through a garden hose and it tastes fine. I do flush the hose first and drain the tank after each trip. I flush the system with a little bleach after it's had Baja water in it.

For $20, the external inline filter is a pretty inexpensive way to keep junk and some bad taste out of your tank. When connected to pressurized water, we use the white RV hose, an inline filter and a pressure regulator.

Our travel trailer has an internal water filter that delivers filtered water to the sink. Nice, but a bit of a pain when winterizing, and the filters are expensive ($75+). It's not something I would choose again.

One way i've incorporated into our set up for getting clean water into our tanks is utilizing our camp-lantern stand with a katadyn Base camp gravity-bag filter as seen in this picture:

34081-albums922-picture4592.jpg

Here are the parts i used:

34081-albums922-picture4591.jpg

Back
Top Bottom