Water filtration for FWC

joebob25

What are your thoughts on using a gravity water filter like this one to keep your water system topped off on extended stays?

https://www.platy.com/filtration/gravityworks-water-filter-system-6.0l4.0l/gravityworks.html

I"m pretty well set up to boondock for extended periods of time (weeks in the summer with solar and little need for propane heat) but water is a bit of a limiting factor. I know the conventional wisdom is to conserve as much as possible, but I use my camper to mountain bike in remote locations and I get filthy. A shower at the end of the day for me, the wife, and the dog keeps the camper so much cleaner, and no matter how much you try to conserve it's hard to be economical with the shower water (especially when you're scrubbing trail dust caked sunscreen off your legs and arms). Does anyone use a water filtration system to replenish their water tank? I know the danger is contaminating your water system, but I figure if the water is clean enough to drink it should be clean enough to go in my camper. I would typically be using Colorado mountain streams and lakes to filter from, not muddy puddles or ditch water...

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

Weeeeeeellllll, I use a Platypus gravity filter to fill up my solar shower bag. I would not put it in my water tank though. Just about every river and creek in CO has heavy metal contaminants in it from all the mine tailing runoff. I've also experienced Giardia. Oh boy was that fun. I guess I am a little gun shy after that. I find that keeping the solar shower bag with water in it is a handy thing at camp for rinsing off hands and whatnot. I keep my main water tank for drinking, cooking and washing dishes. I have drank the water from the Platypus on occasion with clear cold river water in it, and I am still alive and healthy, never a problem. But I just can't put it in my water tank.

BlueSky said:
Weeeeeeellllll, I use a Platypus gravity filter to fill up my solar shower bag. I would not put it in my water tank though. Just about every river and creek in CO has heavy metal contaminants in it from all the mine tailing runoff. I've also experienced Giardia. Oh boy was that fun. I guess I am a little gun shy after that. I find that keeping the solar shower bag with water in it is a handy thing at camp for rinsing off hands and whatnot. I keep my main water tank for drinking, cooking and washing dishes. I have drank the water from the Platypus on occasion with clear cold river water in it, and I am still alive and healthy, never a problem. But I just can't put it in my water tank.
I recently got a Lifesaver jerrycan. I haven’t attempted to filter any really nasty water, but it is supposed to be up to the task. It is a hand pump, not gravity. I filter two gallons in about three minutes, giving it a pump every minute or so. I like it because it is self contained…no hoses dangling. It is a bit spendy.

Back
Top Bottom