Water in a Shell

eyemgh

Ok, another noob question. If you chose the shell route, how do you handle water storage and washing dishes?

Outside kitchen! That’s what we do. All kitchen activity is outside. We might boil some water for coffee in the morning and make some sandwiches for lunch inside. Any cooking or dishwashing is outside. We have a few small dish tubs and a gallon or so of water to wash with. Pretty simple and easy clean up.

We have no sink in our Ocelot. Like WS, we carry water jugs (up to 12.5 gallons) and have a basin we do dishes in. Works fine summer and winter (as long as you are careful the water doesn't freeze!).

eyemgh said:
Ok, another noob question. If you chose the shell route, how do you handle water storage and washing dishes?
Water is stored in gallon jugs under the right side seat and in a 6 gallon container (if needed) that fits behind the passenger seat.

water.jpg

Dishwashing is done outside using a 2 qt pot and sponge.
Dishes and cooking supplies are kept in a plastic tote that can be emptied and used as a 'sink' if indoor dishwashing is necessary.

2 plastic wash tubs, one for washing, other for sterilizing with hot water. If purchasing water jugs , consider a couple smaller sizes 2.5 - 3 gallon in addition to the larger 5-6 gallon. You'll appreciate it when you have to refill and carry back to the camper for a long distance, One 3 gallon in each hand instead of a single 5 or 6 gallon balances much better.

I have an ATC Panther shell. We always carry a couple of 2 1/2 gal plastic buckets that nest into each other. We wash our dishes in it, pick up water to refill our water jug and store those loose odds and ends that seem to end up without a home. If you have a campfire it's essential to have a bucketful of water at the ready. For an emergency toilet we have a luggable loo that just pops on the bucket and a couple of wag bags. There are countless other times we've used a bucket. I consider it one of my essential pieces of gear.

I had ATC install a drain outlet in case I wanted to add a sink later. So far I haven't felt the need to do it. Think of your shell as a glorified tent and resist the temptation to turn it into a self contained unit.

For water storage I have a Reliance 5 gal water can outfitted with a stainless steel spigot. I ordered my ATC with an AT can holder. I also have a 2 1/2 gal reliance water can for coffee and filling up our water bottles.

Back
Top Bottom