Water Storage - Campers without Water Tanks

super doody

Hi All,

I would like to know how WTWer without water tanks are storing/holding their drinking water. With our shell Eagle (currently for sale, see gear exchange), I have been buying 2 gallon drink water containers with spigot from the grocery store.

Background:

I'm think about getting a Shell Hawk or Shell Ocelot for our 2006 Tundra Double cab for camping with my wife, our 13 months daughter and our dog. I would like to keep the camper light, simple and functional (no sink, water pump or stove).

In general it should look like Shoestring's custom Bobcat with a simple front dinette except using bench with storage on both sides rather than roller over seats . The table top serves as bed for the our daughter.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9213-custom-bobcat-shell-atc-build/

So far here are the must have options:
-Furnace
-Wired for solar and frig (truckfridge or Engel)
-Cabinets and under beach storage to keep the aisle free
-table

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

We do not have the water tank, pump, or hot water heater and are very satisfied. We deleted the water system from a standard Granby because we did not want to winterize the camper (we reach -20 deg F each winter for a few nights). Our camper is load and go or unload and walk away. We store our water in 2 1/2 gallon blue Reliance (Amazon) water tanks in the cab (our regular cab has 17 cubic feet of storage behind the front seats) and we have room for up to six in a row across the floor but usually carry 3 to 5 depending on how many nights we will be away from water. The common 7 gallon Reliance water tanks are too heavy for us since water is a little over 8 1/2 pounds per gallon. We only carry one or two Reliance spigots which screw on and instead purchase plastic plumbing screw plugs at a hardware store to seal the Reliance caps. The Reliance spigots store inside the water tanks but they get dirty while the plugs screw in on the outside. In addition we carry up to 5 one gallon jugs with screw caps which originally contained vinegar because they have thicker walls. Our "water faucet" originally contained dish soap and has thicker walls, handle, and the pull type valve on top for open and close (Walmart still has some). Obviously, a funnel is also needed.

The 2 1/2 tanks are poured using a spigot and funnel into 1 gallon jugs as needed. The 1 gallon jugs are used to fill cooking pots and water glasses as needed as well as the "water faucet". The "water faucet" is used to rinse dishes, hands, or add a little water to a cooking recipe. Water is heated on the stove with a pot for dish washing, sink baths, or putting hot running water in the "faucet". Every tank and jug has a letter or number and "good" tasting water is saved for drinking and bad tasting water is used for dishes and sink baths.

We love the propane stove and the sink. The sink could be purchased or added later and our gray water tank is a 2 1/2 Reliance water tank right below the sink. They sell a "propane" tower with furnace at the bottom and a stove at the top (?). Nice to cook inside when it is cold or raining. You could use a portable stove but using the propane tanks is handy for the stove.

After having six Reliance water jugs fail on me over a period of 2-3 years I gave up on "water" jugs. I have been using wedco plastic gas cans now for about 10 years. I called Wedco and asked what their water containers were made of and they said virgin HDPE, I asked about the gas cans and they said the same. The difference is the gas cans must meet specific requirements for strength whereas there are no mandated requirements for water containers. The expensive Reliance water jugs are not too much thicker than a milk jug and mine failed on the bottom corners from flexing under load. I doubt that my gas "water" jugs will ever fail. One caveat, I believe that new cans must meet a CARB permeability limit and may no longer be made of just HDPE but may be a composite of HDPE and another plastic.

-Billm

Super doody - I have an eagle shell with a built out interior but no sink or stove. I bring 1-2 of the 7 gallon reliance jumbo containers depending on the length of trip and if I will be using them to fill shower bags or if I know I will have a natural water source nearby.

Product:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GKDFH4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p468_d0_i8?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=14WSAGZP610SN6Y77850&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

They are very light weight and sturdy and come with a built in tap style spigot which can be unscrewed and screwed in on the opposite side of the cap during travel so as not to leak or be damaged. This is probably their best aspect as they can be shut very tight and no leaks occur while rolling down a jeep trail. Other positive I have seen is that I like having my water mobile as we often do our cooking outside.

Only down side I have seen is that in the horizontal position the spigot is not water tight and will drip periodically. When I have these with the spigot attached on the outside and they are in the camper, they must be kept in the vertical position.

I'm an ATC Bobcat owner, and I built my interior.

I use the 2.5 gallon Arrowhead drink water containers with spigot from the grocery store.

New spigot every time I get a new container, thus the spigot never leaks, I use a piece of painter's blue tape on the vent hole I create on the top of each new container to keep the water that could be splashed out while driving (pavement or dirt) the vent hole to zero (learned this after the first trip). And, we have a great recycling program where I live, so, I always pack out the plastic, not to mention everything else... leave only foot prints or tire tracks, nothing else. On the road I carry one in the camper, and buy the next one at the next grocery store when I need to,

Built and building an Ocelot. We use 5 gln Coleman water containers that come with spigots that sit along the front wall of the camper during transport and then one goes on top of the icebox for use. Also use a one gallon container for easy to get to dog water, people water, etc. For a sink we use a plastic dishpan and that works fine for us. Did not want a water tank, hoses, etc. since we use the camper in cold weather and did not want to deal with freezing issues. We also use a Nemo Helio shower which works really well.

I am just finishing a Grandby build-out, with Refrig, no stove or sink. I use seven 1 gallon water jugs that fit under seat on right side. I like 1 gallon because they are easy to fill and use.

water storage.jpg

BillM: The difference between food grade HDPE and non-food grade is the mold release used in production. Not sure what the difference is other than cleanliness.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Click on the link in my signature and review how we function without a water system, pump and faucet.
It works well as we use the camper to mostly wash up and cook outside.

Back
Top Bottom