Water System Storage Prep

BrianG

I've had my 2015 Hawk since April and have been using it frequently. About every two months I've rinsed the system with 2-3 tablespoons of bleach. After each trip I drain the water system. It's now been about 4 weeks since my last trip and I'm wondering if I should be running with a half full system of water and maybe a tablespoon of bleach to prevent any bacteria issues?

How do all of you manage your water systems when you have long periods between trips? Also, would this much bleach in the system for a couple of weeks do any damage?

I'll try to attach a image from my last trip in the Sierra's.

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

• big.JPG
    big.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 113
Brian, I usually just treat the water at the beginning of the season. I keep the tank full between trips, but the drain and refill if its been a long time between trips.

The bleach isn't going to harm things, but it tastes like.....

Wandering Sagebrush said:
...swimming pool water!

If potable water still tastes like bleach after several flushes, add baking soda to inlet, then fill the water tank. Run your hot/cold water supply at both the sink faucet and shower for about a minute each. Let baking soda treated water sit for several hours. Drain, fill water system, run hot/cold fuacet and shower, drain. Fill water tank. Hopefully your water will now taste like water from the potable water source.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Brian, I usually just treat the water at the beginning of the season. I keep the tank full between trips, but the drain and refill if its been a long time between trips.

OK if you are using treated (i.e. city tap) water. If you are using untreated water (well water, filtered water, etc.) it needs to be treated, as 'stuff' can grow in as little as 24 hrs. If you use chlorine bleach, make sure it is pure bleach without additives, like 'brighteners' or 'whiteners'.

jim

I did the bleach thing when I first got my camper three years ago. I haven't done anything since except drain the system upon returning home from a trip.

With my previous Grandby same thing except twenty or so years after the initial bleach purge. No issues.

Perhaps you should consider disinfecting the water system if it has been 3 years.

While the stainless steel tank and food grade plastics used in the water system by FWC will help inhibit microbes, it will not stop them. But then if you have not been invaded by the diarrhea causing critters, I guess you have a good technique for preventing them.

The FWC water tanks are not considered long term storage systems. Temperature of stored water can not be controlled and the system is not air tight. As such, I drain the system after every outing. If the next outing is less then 30 days from draining the water system, I simply perform a quick flush to remove old, pooled water. If more than 30 days, I drain the system and disinfect/fill the tank with water and add 2 tablespoons of concentrated, unscented bleach diluted in 4 cups of water. That is probably more often than required/needed. But, I'd rather take the time to disinfect the system than be dealing with the runs.

Advmoto18 said:
Perhaps you should consider disinfecting the water system if it has been 3 years.

While the stainless steel tank and food grade plastics used in the water system by FWC will help inhibit microbes, it will not stop them. But then if you have not been invaded by the diarrhea causing critters, I guess you have a good technique for preventing them.

The FWC water tanks are not considered long term storage systems. Temperature of stored water can not be controlled and the system is not air tight. As such, I drain the system after every outing. If the next outing is less then 30 days from draining the water system, I simply perform a quick flush to remove old, pooled water. If more than 30 days, I drain the system and disinfect/fill the tank with water and add 2 tablespoons of concentrated, unscented bleach diluted in 4 cups of water. That is probably more often than required/needed. But, I'd rather take the time to disinfect the system than be dealing with the runs.
I have been getting a plastic taste in my water from my 2015 Grandby. Are the tanks really stainless? Is anyone else having the plastic taste?

Outnabout said:
I have been getting a plastic taste in my water from my 2015 Grandby. Are the tanks really stainless? Is anyone else having the plastic taste?
The tanks and hoses are plastic, the sink (on mine anyway) is stainless. Plastic taste culprit is usually the hose you use to fill the tank.

Back
Top Bottom