Water tank drain pipe snapped off above petcock FWC 2001 Hawk - how to access?

erika

Advanced Member
Just put 2001 FWC Hawk on truck a day ago, getting ready for desert trip.
Water tank drain was dripping, so husband was tightening.
The grey PVC pipe ABOVE the petcock snapped off 1.5" up into the camper. May have been bumped in storage shed causing it to snap.
Question is - does anyone know how to access the pvc pipe and how to fix?

Attachments

• FWC drain pipe2.JPG
    FWC drain pipe2.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 213
  • FWC drain pipe.JPG
    FWC drain pipe.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 144
Hello Erika

Get a new one petcock and get an easy out sized to the inside of the small threaded piece broken off. Be easy and take your time.
You could also call four wheel campers or ATC and ask them their recommendations to extract. Also ask about thread sealant and how tight to install the new one. You might consider keeping a spare and your extraction tool on board.
Russ

I've broken mine off twice. As CougarCouple states, use an easy out to get the broken part out of the tank. After the second time I broke it off, I replaced everything with brass fittings. It won't break off again. Good luck.

Thanks both of you. What is an 'easy out'? Tried calling FWC but no one has called back. I like the idea of using brass fittings. Husband is planning to use JB Weld to try and repair broken pvc fitting, hopefully it will work for our week-long trip. The petcock is not broken so that doesn't need to be replaced.

Here erika is a short video to give a mental picture. Not sure I'd be hammering on the plastic they cut into the plastic easy enough with pressure.
Russ

Sorry bout that, not the first time. They all basically do the same thing just different designs. It's a feel thing so keep in mind the threaded bung in the tank can get damaged. Not trying to scare you, just try think is what your doing while doing it.
Russ

Thanks Russ. I didn't see a link to a video though?

Bob - that looks like a much better long-term solution! Thxs!

Update: we are about to leave & the JB Weld seemed to work. Husband used a sleeve of thin aluminum inside the broken pipe to keep it together while JB weld cured. He shimmed it in place during curing to provide pressure. Will update after trip if anything changes.

Thanks everyone!

I Love this WTW site... mean really ...where to go for good people helping each other... gives one hope in dark times!

I spoke too soon...started leaking after several hours with water tank 2/3 full. JB weld did not cure correctly, not sure why. May try again before leaving in morning,...or we will use our 5gal water jugs.

You should be able to the parts you need easilyas well as the removal tool. Two wraps of teflon tap and thread in the new one, don't over tighten. Old luck
Russ

Thanks Russ. The issue is how to access the pipe from within the camper exterior; there is no room to get an extraction tool in there. We are off to the desert....hopefully the JB Weld holds!

I used a quarter turn female iron pipe sillcock and two thread adapters to reduce the sillcock to match the 15G water tank in my '08 ATC Cougar.

Also a little cap to keep the dust out of the sillcock. I also used a black marker on the sillcock red handle so it would not be as noticeable.

Attachments

• IMG_1390 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1390 (Small).JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1391 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1391 (Small).JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 107
Hello erika
I thought you needed to pull the broken part of a nipple which threaded into the bottom of the tank.
Can't you go thru the camper outside where the drain valve goes. I might be overthinking this so I guess I'm missing what your asking.
Have fun on y'alls trip. Here are many photos of extractors. Hope you can get a idea from this.
Russ

http://www.calibex.com/shopping/products?search=pipe-extractor-tools&page=0

Hi all, thankyou so much for the replies. The JB Weld repair (second attempt) held for 7 days of remote desert camping with some moderately rough roads (with full water tank).
Russ - there's just not enough space between camper and truck to get any tools up where the drain pipe is. We would have to take the camper off in order to access (which we didn't want to do since we were packed and ready to leave). Luckily the glue repair did the trick for the time being.

Great idea, flinchlock! I think we may do something like that in the Fall once we take the camper off and can access the pipe.

erika said:
Thanks Russ. The issue is how to access the pipe from within the camper exterior; there is no room to get an extraction tool in there. We are off to the desert....hopefully the JB Weld holds!
I just bought an eagle model and the water tank has no drain valve attached to it. I THINK i have the same problem as you but not sure because I just bought it. How is he drain valve upposed to secure up inside to the bottom of the fresh water tank? Does it screw in? Here’s a picture of the bottom of my water tank. I think maybe there’s a dark inner circle in the picture which is the broken PVC. But I can’t tell. It has JB weld all over it. Did you ever get your broken pvc part out?

Attachments

• C475B743-A429-475E-B4AF-A4A2F58E3CFF.jpeg
    C475B743-A429-475E-B4AF-A4A2F58E3CFF.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 90

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom