Water Tanks

buckland

Site Team
Have a 2011 Eagle on a Tacoma ...it's been grand. There are places I want to go that require a greywater system on board. That is Okay as I never really use the 20 gallon tank of fresh water... If I am anxious about water I can always carry 2 1/2 gallon suitcase water from the grocery store.

Here is what I want to do: I'd like to take out the 20 gallon tank, put in 2 tanks ...say 9 gallon each... use the grey water capped drain as the vent and pipe the grey water drain through the side cabinet (on passenger side...I have the roll over couch) out the back. I have mesasured it all out and can do. My question comes from exhaustive search on a lot of sites for tanks that would fit... no dice..... but custom molds cost a LOT of $$$$ Is there someone out there that can steer me to a place (FWC?) that came get this going?
I dream of having the FWC on the Cape Cod Highland beach (National Seashore) in September .... that's right... on the beach... camp fire and massive surf... stars and quiet..... BUT only with a self contained camper. I have also got a marine porta potty set up that can be pumped....a requirement to for on the beach).

Almost there

Buckland

There have been a couple of threads by people that have added a grey water tank between the wall of the truck bed and the camper. Do a search and you can find them. This would save you a huge amount of remodeling inside your camper. Even if the 20 gallon tank isn't that important to you, changing it to a 9 gallon tank would hurt your resale value a lot.

Will they allow you to use "gray water" dollies? These are external rolling dollies that are still sold at Camping World, usually with 10 - 11 gallon capacity. I currently have 2 of these which I at times use with my 1971 Airstream which does not have a gray water tank. Airstream did not put gray water tanks on it's trailers till 1974 or so. I use these if I am in a situation where I can't drain my sinks/shower direct to a sewer hook-up. Of course, if they were full, you'd have to transport them on the floor of the camper till you could dump them. When empty, you could possibly strap them on the rear or put them on the roof in a basket case (Yakima) or something similar. They are plastic and fairly lightweight when empty. Most often, I only carry one when out with the trailer. I use them most often when I am at one of the Oregon State Parks along the coast. Some of the parks have electric/water hook ups only, no sewer. When full, I wheel them over to the gray water funnels dispersed throughout the campsite and dump them.

Just one possible option if it will work for your application. Might also be a lot less expensive than truck/camper mods.

Good Luck

TGK

United States National Seashore is a Federal park. They require on board (inside camper) greywater systems, not in truck bed. Must also be equal to fresh water capacity. Black water must be also pumpable and "permanent" attached. Greywater system may be attached to Blackwater syatem for flush purposes. All vehicles must leave beach and be inspected every 72 hours... a very pristine beach of 75 miles. No structures and 100 ft dunes. Lots of plovers and seals...truely remarkable place worth preserving and I don't mind the inconvenience if it will stay so.

So that being the case.... back to engineering.... I don't care about resale.... I'll be dead whern I let go of my FWC..

I need genius... regular America can do. I love a good project!

I figured it might be a situation such as the one you describe but thought I would throw out the dolly option in case it wasn't. I've personally never run into that tight of control out west, but wouldn't be surprised if it is in play in some places out this way. From what you describe, it sounds like it makes sense, particularly if they let you camp right on the beach itself.

TGK

Wow, that is serious restrictions. Even in Yellowstone with grizzlies walking through the campground we could use an external tank. In that case, sorry but I've got nothing.

Are you sure you want to perform those extensive modifications just so you can go to one place? If you frequent that one place a lot maybe a different camper would be a better solution? I know I wouldn't want to be limited to 9 gallons of water.

I assume that you have the 20 gallon tank in the front under the window. Why not install another 20 gallon tank under the couch for the grey water? Not sure of the dimensions, but it is easy to move/re-design the couch base if necessary. It is only held together with "L" brackets. I made a new base and added the front storage for my Ranger II in not much more than an hour. You could make the mods reversible as well.

CWD

Okay Okay... here is the site for the rules http://www.nps.gov/caco/cape-cod-national-seashore-oversand-beach-driving.htm

In the Northeast we don't lack water... carrying 9 gallons in a tank and 3, 2 1/2 gallon cases is more than enough. We have water everywhere... actually too much! It's been raining for 2 weeks... we rust not tan.

Hypothetically then as an exercise in can it be done .... does anyone have a place that might have dimensionally possible tanks?

Thanks a lot for any ideas
PS CWD... I installed a second marine battery under the couch and ...my god man... that's where I store my beer!

Who decides how big a tank you need for three days? What do you plan on doing for a toilet?

PS CWD... I installed a second marine battery under the couch and ...my god man... that's where I store my beer!
Buckland, it is good to know you have your priorities straight. :D This probably also explains not needing a big fresh water tank.

Just curious: Do they allow tent camping? If so, What are the requirements for tent campers? I'd try to see if I could camp with the tent campers and follow their rules.

I have a pumpable marine porty potty attached to the floor in the right of door (facing in). fits perfectly. I am considering having the grey water drain attached to the porta so that when going to the pump out station... I first pump the black water and then open the grey so that is washes the black tank on way out. Though not yet done ... the porta potty which has a 3 gallon holding tank (enough for 3 days unless one has a serious problem) can easily have a right angle drain through the ply floor... over the rear bumper off to the right... discreet and not effecting structural strength. Thoughts on this?
I mean besides my predilection for IPA .... dad said ...one can never have too many nails or beer.
PS No tent camping... the link to rules is in a previous post

Buckland,

I read through the rules and I see this:

"SCV's and pick-up truck campers must also have a fire extinguisher and permanently mounted holding tanks for gray and black water".

Seems to me that does not preclude you from "permanently" mounting a grey water tank in the bed of your truck (as opposed to inside the camper). As long as it is bolted in it is permanent. I would certainly try that before tearing the water tank out of my camper and replacing it with a grey water tank and smaller water tank as you were considering.

Regards,

Craig

Thanks .. alas I already ran that by the officials. They said no, must be in camper if it is a slide in camper.

Amazing... I have been searching for months. Thanks for your efforts. When I get this done I'll do a photo shoot.
BUT if there is anyone who has taken the water tank out and rearranged things, your insights are appreciated. I did open this area up once as I had put a solar plug on the wall of the camper (tripod solar posting) and routed the wires over the tank to the battery compartment. It is a tight it in there!

Back
Top Bottom