Waterproofing Slide In Portion of Camper - Best Material?

backcountry

Hi All,

I recently discovered this forum - looks like a good place.

I'm in the process of resurrecting a FWC for an International Scout. In addition to replacing a lot of parts, I have converted the unit into a slide in camper so it can be more easily removed and installed. I'm using it on the longer wheelbase Scout Terra pickup and it fits almost perfect.

I am trying to determine the best material for waterproofing the exterior slide in portion of my Four Wheel Camper. The bottom sides of my camper are made with ACX plywood. What do you suggest I use as a protective coating?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Here is a photo of my work in progress:
Scout Camper Drivers Side.jpg

Welcome aboard. There is a post here somewhere where somebody repainted all of their plywood with some sort of marine enamel. Hopefully they will chime in or you can find the post in the mods section, its there somewhere.

Nice rig. Keep us posted on your project.

At the Home Depot I bought: Glidden Porch & Floor Interior/Exterior Polyurethane Oil Gloss Floor Paint, 1 Gallon, Accent Tint Base

You can have them tint to whatever the truck color is if the camper sticks out the back and shows. I used a brush and made sure to push the oil up into the screw holes and into all the seams where the two pieces of wood come together, Watch for runs in these areas. Once it dries the runs will stay. I did three coats on my camper, Also on a Eagle and Kestrel. And a friend did his Hawk also. Here is a link to the Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100175868

At the Home Depot I bought: Glidden Porch & Floor Interior/Exterior Polyurethane Oil Gloss Floor Paint, 1 Gallon, Accent Tint Base

You can have them tint to whatever the truck color is if the camper sticks out the back and shows. I used a brush and made sure to push the oil up into the screw holes and into all the seams where the two pieces of wood come together, Watch for runs in these areas. Once it dries the runs will stay. I did three coats on my camper, Also on a Eagle and Kestrel. And a friend did his Hawk also. Here is a link to the Home Depot.

Another vote on this stuff. I just used their regular stock grey color that is sitting on the shelf and it matched close enough to the original color I didn't bother with tinting (not like its much of an issue either way). Definitely brush it on for a good coating. I did 3 or 4 coats (can't remember) but it definately appears to be a nice protective layer.

I did mine last year. One coat oil base primer, one coat oil base paint. Looks like it will last many moon.

Back
Top Bottom