We Are Getting A New Camper!

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
We had planned a bit of a remodel to our camper this fall. The main item I wanted to change was moving our truckfridge so it was cross ways against the back wall under the window. This was requiring a rebuild of our main cabinet. Well, since the interior would be removed I could put in a bigger water tank, That would require the propane box to be moved. That would require the aluminum framing on that side of the camper to be redone................ As my buddy Barking Spider likes to say, "Every project can grow arms and legs."

We have decided to have ATC build us a new shell and I will build the interior very similar to our current camper. It will be actually a little less work for me as it eliminates taking apart our current camper.

Cost wise, if we can get some money from selling our current camper - that has taken us to incredible places and could serve us well for many years into the future - the difference in cost will be manageable and worth it.

As Marty at ATC says, "It's on the board!" Our order is heading down the build process. We are excited as can be! We know we will suffer with a bad case of seller's remorse if/when our current camper finds a new home. It has been a treasured member of our family.

I will document the build of our new camper. This will be fun!

I do want to thank the guys at ATC for their patience with our questions and willingness to make minor changes to accommodate placement of our interior pieces. As has been said many times, these guys are great to work with..

I'm still in the dreamer stage about gutting the cabinets in our Hawk.

This is really big news!
Looking forward to following the build.

Wow!,Ski.That's a big move but one that is sure to be the best in the long run.
If you have to go through all the take-apart of the old one and one project leads to another,the best is to start new.
Good luck with the project.Will be awaiting pictures.
Frank

Big news indeed! I noticed you were asking another member some questions about his new camper recently but had no idea. Wow, this will be fun to watch.

Ted said:
Big news indeed! I noticed you were asking another member some questions about his new camper recently but had no idea. Wow, this will be fun to watch.
Ted, want to spend a day up here and smell some sawdust? :) Maybe some stuff on the grill after ;)

We recently ordered an Ocelot from ATC with some options and will build the cabinet. Since at this point I don't have a good winter workspace (room enough and heated) we compromised by having ATC do more of the piece work - which they are super accommodating with. Three weeks to pickup - will look forward to your setup.

Let us in on the thought processes and the why's for the choices you make. Everyone travels differently, but you strike me as more minimalist than the ones who want the thing to be a mini RV. I will be following to see what you do.

Bseek said:
Let us in on the thought processes and the why's for the choices you make. Everyone travels differently, but you strike me as more minimalist than the ones who want the thing to be a mini RV. I will be following to see what you do.
I am in full agreement. Tell us the plans and the progress. Detailed blueprints would be nice also. ;)
I subscribe to the minimalist philosophy also, so one of my goals is to eliminate the water tank completely and just use stowable rectangular water jugs. Just take what you need for the trip. For years we camped in a bare shell, so what many see as necessary things in a camper, I see as a waste of space and weight.

Thanks all for the well wishes on this project. I have been dreaming cabinet and interior design. Not much different than our current camper but little tweaks here and there.

Bseek said:
Minimalists, yes! I don't even think of this unit as a RV but we still get the mailers from the good sam club. Our names hit a mailing list somehow.

winks said:
I am in full agreement. Tell us the plans and the progress. Detailed blueprints would be nice also. ;)
I subscribe to the minimalist philosophy also, so one of my goals is to eliminate the water tank completely and just use stowable rectangular water jugs. Just take what you need for the trip. For years we camped in a bare shell, so what many see as necessary things in a camper, I see as a waste of space and weight.
We will try to update anything of interest. winks, I will disagree with you about the water tank from our "minimalist" experience. I'll explain more in detail as I add to this topic.

Again, thanks everyone!

Hmmm, closest Duval quote I could find is "I love the smell of juice boxes in the morning".

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle between minimalist and rv.

craig333 said:
Hmmm, closest Duval quote I could find is "I love the smell of juice boxes in the morning".

That's one of the nice things about the FWC/ATC camper there are loads of ways to individualize them.
Something for every taste.
Frank

craig333 said:
We all are. You're not a minimalist unless you are throwing your bedroll out on the cold ground and cooking what you caught/killed on a stick over a fire made with a fire bow or flint and steel!

CWD

cwdtmmrs said:
We all are. You're not a minimalist unless you are throwing your bedroll out on the cold ground and cooking what you caught/killed on a stick over a fire made with a fire bow or flint and steel!

CWD
And drinking out of horse hoof prints.
Frank

We are pretty much minimalists I guess, as far as campers go, but we feel like we are living the life of luxury when we think back to our tenting days.

Back
Top Bottom