Weather

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
From CalTrans tonight:

A HIGH WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM THE INYO/MONO CO LINE TO
THE NEVADA STATE LINE - TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CAMPERS, TRAILERS
OR PERMIT LOADS

Anyone ever feel they should have heeded that warning?

From CalTrans tonight:

A HIGH WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM THE INYO/MONO CO LINE TO
THE NEVADA STATE LINE - TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CAMPERS, TRAILERS
OR PERMIT LOADS

Anyone ever feel they should have heeded that warning?

:LOL:Let it snow let it snow, let it snow, and stay home by the fire place and have some beans and ham-hocks or french onion soup, or enjoy where ever you are but its snowing like old times up here in the northern sierras and eastern side! Good weather for a nice FWC trip and camp! Power still on here! Ho Ho!

Smoke

We have come back home through that area with those warnings in effect. I haven't felt like I've overstepped any boundaries. Warnings certainly heightens awareness and caution and watch closely how others are handling conditions. Our rig does well in the wind, much better than the old Isuzu Trooper we had. Passing an oncoming big rig in a strong cross wind was a white knuckle experience.

:LOL:
Guys
Try driving a VW on 395 through Washo Valley between Reno and Carson City for fun sometime! My Granby rides well in the wind, on I-5, but those semi's driving 75 mph on I-80 coming into Elko, sure scares me on those hills. Power has been off here in Susanville a couple of times, lot's and lot's of snow, big, big wet flakes - like for one of those good old winters of the past! If the power does go out I still have that pot of red beans and ham-hocks going-three days now, real good and tasty. The local FM station stays on during power outs so I'll still be able to listen to the 49er-Seahawk game! Ho, Ho Ho - Let it snow let it snow let it snow!

Smoke

I'm heading up to a cabin on Donner Summit as soon as I can get out the door. This is a great site to help understand the conditions.

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

Other states may have something similar.

I'm heading up to a cabin on Donner Summit as soon as I can get out the door. This is a great site to help understand the conditions.

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

Other states may have something similar.

Hope you made it, Espresso. :oops: We stayed home when the prospect of almost three hundred miles of chain controls were between us and Bishop. After deciding to stay home, we then lost power at the house for six hours, but made up for it by going into town to see The Hobbit (long, but quite entertaining). It's been quite a storm with two inches of rain and 44mph gusts.

We will try again for a morning departure, traveling 95 south from Fallon to Beatty if there's still a lot of snow on 395. Anyone heard if South Pass is open to Saline? :rolleyes:

We made it after 7.5 hours, 5 hours of it between Colfax and the Sugar Bowl exit. We would watch people fly by only to see them a mile or two down the road piled into a snow bank. On the downhill stretch from Nyack to Emigrant Gap, one guy in a minivan passed us with all four wheels locked up! He was lucky and managed to keep it on the road and not hit anything even after a slow motion 360 spin. And I'm amazed by how many people with a front wheel drive car put their chains on the rear wheels and can't figure out why they can't get going again after having stopped on an incline.

It's a beautiful morning. The sun is up and the snow covered trees look amazing against a deep blue sky. Do I want to snowboard in fresh power or snowshoe in fresh powder? I think I'll sit by the wood stove for a while longer and think about it.

:The local FM station stays on during power outs so I'll still be able to listen to the 49er-Seahawk game! Ho, Ho Ho
Smoke

With Directv, a 400w inverter and a car battery...you can watch TV anytime/anywhere without power. I can go 2-3 days without recharging.

~DR

We made it after 7.5 hours, 5 hours of it between Colfax and the Sugar Bowl exit. We would watch people fly by only to see them a mile or two down the road piled into a snow bank. On the downhill stretch from Nyack to Emigrant Gap, one guy in a minivan passed us with all four wheels locked up! He was lucky and managed to keep it on the road and not hit anything even after a slow motion 360 spin. And I'm amazed by how many people with a front wheel drive car put their chains on the rear wheels and can't figure out why they can't get going again after having stopped on an incline.

Just another day in the mountains sharing the road with our neighbors.............. :rolleyes:

Now you know why I chose to stay home. My local brewpup celebrates New Years at 9pm local. I like to be sound asleep before the craziness starts. Omg, I must be getting old!

Now you know why I chose to stay home. My local brewpup celebrates New Years at 9pm local. I like to be sound asleep before the craziness starts. Omg, I must be getting old!

:LOL:
Ho Ho Ho, I am old I think! Merry-x-mas, power was off here again for a while. About foot, foot and a half or so here, down town a little messy, made it down to the store for some stuff, back here to await the next storm later today. Probably do my drinking here. It snowed about 3-4 feet up at Eagle Lake and Chester/Westwood; have a friend coming in from the Lake-got snowed out, 4x4 is down and has to work on Wednesday, so he's catching a ride into my place to stay for a day or two, until the snow plows clear his road. Any one heading over this way on 89/32, better check first at least for the next few days and maybe should or call first. Hope the power stays on. Hoo Hoo Hoo, living in the west is great, loving it!

Smoke!

Back
Top Bottom