Weatherproof 12V connectors

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
I'm looking for a two wire connector/disconnect -male/female- for 10 gauge wire. I believe I saw a thread about these awhile back that I cannot find. Can someone help? Thanks!

I'm looking for a two wire connector/disconnect -male/female- for 10 gauge wire. I believe I saw a thread about these awhile back that I cannot find. Can someone help? Thanks!

Marinco seems to be the best weather proof plug on the market but they aren't cheap. I ended up ordering a small "forklift plug" for connecting my charging system and it's working great but I can't recall the name of it right now. It's really not a watertight plug like the marinco though.

Marinco

The Marinco plug is what Sean Dempsey from Go Anywhere installed on my Grandby the male end and the female in the bed of my truck. I have had this connector in the past for the trolling motor on my boat. I never had a bad connection! :rolleyes:

Marty and team(ATC) installed the Keystone on our previous truck. They used Marinco connectors. When I sold that truck, the female Marinco connector rode away on the truck. A replacement was not readily available here in Alabama for the “new” used F-150. Wal-Mart sells a male and female connector set for electric trolling motors. It is similar to the Marinco but expensive and not up to the Marinco.

The solution here was to twist the wires together, solder them and install an outdoor electrical connector over the joined wires to prevent a short. Home Depot provided the outdoor electrical connectors. A picture is attached. Note the retainer. The connector is filled with electrical grease and the retainer holds the grease in place. Supposedly, this keeps moisture out of the connection.

While I’m out there, I think I will go see Marty in Sacrimento to buy a replacement Marinco connector. He will give me a hard time about my red neck connectors. I want to see the new ATC shop and I have the bug for a new camper too.

Attachments

• Outdoor Connector.JPG
    Outdoor Connector.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 118
All, thanks so much for the suggestions, I appreciate it.

Here's what I'm up to. I have a small portable air compressor that hooks to battery posts for power. I have 12V power at the back bumper with 10 gauge wire. I want to change the power lead on the compressor to one with a male connector that I can connect, when needed, to a matching connector under the bumper and another one at the front of the truck.

I believe I saw a post somewhere here on some heavy red colored connectors.

Metri-Pack 630 connectors are sealed and go up to 10 ga. wire.
Waytech Wire Metri-Pack 630 page
Metri-Pack 280's go up to 10 ga.
Waytech Wire Metri-Pack 280 page
Looks like the Metri-Pack 480's go up to 8 ga. wire.
Waytech Wire Metri-Pack 480 page

Tha Anderson connectors aren't weather resistant, but can handle a lot of current. If the use sees the connection made and broken frequently the wiping design of the contacts will keep corrosion at bay.
Waytech Anderson Powerpole series page

*I'm using Waytech's pages for reference. There are other sources, but I've ordered from Waytech and been happy with them.

EDIT: On seeing your post about your intended use I think that the connectors that you've seen were probably the last link, one of the Anderson connectors.

the anderson connectors are used heavily in the ham radio crowd....as well as the forklift crowd.
they do make a cover but it not watertight...they are not weatherproof as the o-ring sealed stuff.
but they are better for handling connect/disconnect and really are great for portable equipment.

the pins are suited for the current flows encounted doing 12v work. the anderson sb series handles up to 350 amps.
the power pole series sport 15-30-45 amp pins all using the same housing.
perfect for a compressor that needs 30 amps...or my 2m rig that drws 15 or so!

google westmountainradio....they have a REALLY good crimper too!

Hey check Hodges Marine Supply in Florida, they have the Marinco plugs for trolling motors. You can not go wrong with these plugs, they are bullet proof !! Also you can buy thru Cabelas. Good luck.

I'm digging up old threads here, but what about this connector? Think 15 amps is enough for current from the alternator to the aux battery?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=112199&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10109&subdeptNum=10611&classNum=10615

I think I know what your talking about.I purchased some size 10 with black/red wires w/ma fe ends that push together and pull apart when needed.I got the name from one of these threads.When I get home after deer season I will get the Number and sales name.I think it was John Drake Co? Yeah, internet at deer camp,something wrong with this picture.just did search and found the site, try this site under RV roof connector.john drake services http://solarseller.com/low_voltage_dc_pumps__lvm__teel__accessories__plugs_and_extensions.htm#rv_roof_connector

I don't know about risky or not, but from personal use I'm not impressed with the quality of those Perko connectors. It would be nice if there were such a thing as a bulkhead connector version of the PowerPole product.

Back
Top Bottom