Week in Tahoe, my TR

Gormley Green

Contributors
WTW definitely came to my aid in planning this trip last minute, with special thanks to Smokecreek1 and MarkBC, we had an awesome time without incident.

The stats:

2137 miles (3439km)
140.3 gal(531.1l)

15.23mpg
15.44 l/100km

Day 1 – Squamish, BC to Portland, OR

Rainy, boring drive. Stayed in a hotel downtown, enjoyed some beers at the Deschutes brew pub, ate dinner, slept.

Day 2 – Portland, OR to Eagle Lake, CA

I5 from Portland was boring, torturous even! Though we did enjoy a nice lunch in Grant’s Pass, OR.

Finally crossing into CA was cool, as it was my first time in the state. We were able to deviate from the freeway and join up with Smokecreek’s route, so we were more than happy.

The weather was nice, skies clearing, but not enough to see Shasta.
IMG3315-L.jpg

At Mt. Shasta we took 89 to 299 to 139. All awesome roads with great scenery – mountains, huge trees, etc. We were smiles the whole time. Eagle Lake campgrounds were closed, but Rocky Point is a boat launch with informal camping so we just parked on the beach and had the whole place to ourselves. It couldn’t get any better. I would have opted out of any of the campgrounds for this location.

IMG3319-L.jpg

IMG2685-L.jpg

Some of this went down
IMG2691-L.jpg

Nice clear skies at night and great stars
IMG3333-L.jpg

Day 3 – Eagle Lake, CA to Squaw Valley, CA

Woke up to thick fog in the lake basin. As soon as we got onto the highway again, just a few hundred feet from the lake, we were out of the fog. I didn’t get a good vantage point to photograph it, but it was cool to see the fog lingering only on and slightly around the lake.
IMG3338-L.jpg

Off 139 before Susanville we saw a fire road heading up a mountain, then a right turn off the highway. We parked, got our bike gear on, unloaded the bikes, and headed for a ride. It was 10 miles to Fredoyner peak at a steady climb. I kept saying “we’re not in Sqaumish anymore!” as we’re used to heavy trees, single track, and damp weather! This was basically the opposite. Expansive views, hot (75 at 9am and climbing!), dry, and just different. It was just a road but it was great exercise and a fun ride, especially back down to the truck.

IMG2697-L.jpg

Me ruining a great view of Eagle Lake
IMG2703-L.jpg

Finished up around lunch time, made some sandwiches in the shade and continued on our way.

IMG2695-L.jpg

We took 395 out of Susanville, to the 70 and headed west to 49, to the 89 to Truckee. It was an absolutely fantastic drive all around. Never having been to CA, I definitely enjoyed it.

Sometimes it looked like this
IMG2712-L.jpg

And it was defeintely nice to feel the sun again after a long snowy BC winter!
IMG2716-L.jpg

Arriving at Squaw was awesome. Free camping in the back parking lot, which was rather close to the action and right under the tram face. A fairly notorious closed off area of the resort. It does get some action each year (except this one, with no snow) by extreme skiers.

IMG3340-L.jpg

From the tram
IMG2766-L.jpg

We made haste for the nearest patio in the village and downed some cold beer and met some cool folks.

Day 4-5 Squaw Valley, CA

Day 4 and 5 the truck sat in its spot. The solar was killing it keeping our fridge running despite the ~80ish temps and incredibly strong sun. We both got awesome sunburns as souvenirs. And a hat, tshirt, and Keep Tahoe Blue sticker.

We snowboarded on day 4 (Saturday 21) with a first lift up temp of 67, feeling like 100 in the sun.

A very very rare sight in BC
IMG2729-L.jpg

IMG2731-L.jpg

Until 12:15 the snow was awesome and the views were even better. This is honestly spring resort riding at its finest.
IMG2743-L.jpg

And this is world class après skiing, we had our bathing suits on under our riding gear!
IMG2755-L.jpg

The Sierra geology, though not surprising, was very cool to see in person finally.
IMG2759-L.jpg

On day 5 we biked down to Tahoe City to check it out and see the lake. Again, super hot and bluebird. We were in paradise. This weather was such a welcome change from ours at home, which as I type this is still cold and rainy.

IMG3354-L.jpg

These guys getting to know Lake Tahoe
IMG3357-L.jpg

Lunch view wasn’t bad
IMG3376-L.jpg

Nor was the lunch!
IMG3377-L.jpg

Back at the camper (15 miles of hot biking later), did I mention the sun was strong!?
IMG2751-L.jpg

Day 6 – Squaw Valley, CA – Bend(ish), OR

Day 6 we want to go through NV, another state I hadn’t been to. We had intentions to spend the night somewhere desert-y, yet had the sense to realize we had to get back to work. So best option was to do as much enjoyable driving as possible yet put on some miles. I was disappointed as I’d never been to NV or any desert before. But it was a 1 week trip, we had already done and seen a lot, and we have lots of time to explore – can’t do everything at once!

Leaving Squaw we take 89 back to Truckee, I80 through Reno over towards Fernley and up the 447. Great decision, and thanks to my WTW mentors for this advice!

I wanted desert and I got it.

IMG2792-L.jpg

NV-pano-L.jpg

Link to large panorama

Just outside Gerlach, where I’m sure much weirder things happen
IMG3454-L.jpg

From Gerlach we continued along 447 to Cedarville, CA, then north to Adel, OR along a bit of well maintained gravel with good scenery.

It was a bit dusty, and our bikes I’m sure were hating it.
IMG2795-L.jpg

Lunch stop along the way
IMG3456-L.jpg

From Adel we took 140 over to 395 up to 31/97. It started to look like rainy and we were glad enough not to be out on dirt roads in the desert.

IMG2799-L.jpg

We ended up just south of Bend near Paulina Lake in the Deschutes National Forest doing a bit of boondocking. Cruised up a fire road and found a nice place for the night. It started to rain while I was bbqing so we ate inside and watched a movie on the iPad.

IMG2801-L.jpg

Day 7 – Bend(ish), OR – Steven’s Pass, WA

Woke early to clearing skies after near consistent rain all night with a bit of distant thunder. Today we wanted to head to the Cascades. Last year at the end of May we drove highway 20 through NCNP only a few days after it had opened. We were at a wedding in Hood River when someone on WTW informed the community that it had just opened, and it was an amazing drive. This time we decided to take the more common route 2 through Stevens Pass (via 97, I82, 97). I wanted to camp at the resort.

Beautiful scenery at the Columbia River crossing from OR into WA. Love this area, wish we could have gone back to Hood River for a day or two.

IMG3461-L.jpg

IMG3463-L.jpg

Leavenworth, WA was a bit of a surprise! A Bavarian town in the middle of WA state??

IMG2811-L.jpg

We stopped to walk around, buy some sausage, a giant pretzel, a postcard and fridge magnet. This place is too weird to be missed. I still don’t know why, but I think I like it.

We arrived at Steven’s Pass resort around 3:30pm to find it basically abandoned. Even the clock was stopped! It was about 58 degrees and very low cloud. Not

IMG2816-L.jpg

California anymore. I told Lizzy that we should hike it and do a run, and it worked!

IMG2819-L.jpg

We got to the top of the lift in around 45 mins, hung out for a bit with a beer, and then enjoyed some very soft untouched spring snow back down. It was a great run, and a great way to stretch your legs after sitting in the truck all day!

IMG2824-L.jpg

Spent a nice quiet night camping in the empty RV lot at the resort with intermittent rain, woke early and began the trek home via I5. Squamish was typical low 60’s and rain.

Thanks for reading, and again for all the support on the trip and getting the camper ready through the winter. This site rules.

What a great trip and photos! A great variety of terrain...and weather!
Thanks, GG. :)

Glad you had an excellent trip, Mr Green. Tahoe and Truckee, North CA, NV and Central OR are my old stomping grounds so it was great to see your pics and read your report! Great country, eh?

Thanks for the words all. And Stew it is definitely some great country! So much variation in terrain in a very explorable area. Can't wait to head back. The list just keeps getting longer. We're so happy we finally relocated to the west coast! I look at the road atlas and the density of roads east of BC in Canada makes me sick! So happy and fortunate to have so much public land to play on out here.

:LOL: Glad you had fun, what a great world we live live in, get to see all those neat places and different environments and in just one week! Ready for a longer one next time?

Smoke

Ready for a longer one next time?

Yes but my wallet isn't!! :LOL: :LOL:

We have over 40 days in the camper since May 1 last year though so not too bad. But definitely barely scratched the surface of your area and I hope to spend a lot of time exploring it in the future. 3 or 4 weeks at a time would be ideal.

Nice trip, looks like you got a little of everything. Who gets to ride the hardtail? The last time I was up Steven's Pass was on a bicycle tour with my wife. We stopped at the top to find some very unhappy backpackers. The restaurant was closed and they were looking very forward to a few dinners. We ended up giving them a bunch of fresh food from our panniers. They were just over the moon from the goodies we gave them.

Great report GG. Thank you.
We may follow some of your trails coming up. Heading south (not sure where) third week in May for 3 weeks.
Did you use Spot to track your adventure?

Nice trip, looks like you got a little of everything. Who gets to ride the hardtail?

Thanks. I ride the Stumpy FSR and she rides the Kona hardtail. Keeps things about equally advantageous on the whole.

Great report GG. Thank you.
We may follow some of your trails coming up. Heading south (not sure where) third week in May for 3 weeks.
Did you use Spot to track your adventure?

You're very welcome. 3 weeks will be nice! Didn't use the SPOT this time, actually forgot it as its been living in my backcountry ski pack all winter.

Sweet trip, GG. Your appreciation for all things California is refreshing. Great beer photos and landscape shots too. Glad you and Lizzy enjoyed your visit, come on down again soon!

Yeah leavenworth is quirky but cool (as long as it's not completely overwhelmed with tourons while you're there). Lots of good camping/outdoor activities in the area then you can run into town for some brats/beers at the beer garden and enjoy the scenery. Hit up the cheese monger and cured meats store on the way out of town for some camping snackage. :)

Back
Top Bottom