Weighed my 2016 F-150 SuperCab XLT 6.5ft bed FX4 with Hawk

K7MDL

Edited 8/20/22: Corrected a few numbers.

FYI. I have never weighed my previous campers before. I was curious so yesterday I weighed my 2016 F-150 XLT SuperCab truck with my new camper at a CAT scale nearby. I have not yet weighed it without the camper yet.

Full gas (36gal) and water (~30gallons total), propane topped off, half of the personal gear loaded, no kitty litter or custom step loaded. Cab mostly empty, no passengers or driver. Total 6920lbs, front 3080, rear 3840lbs. Truck is 3.5L ecoboost 6spd auto and is rated at 7050lbs GVWR, 3450 Front GAWR and 3800 Rear GAWR. 3.55 axle ratio. eq group 301A, XLT chrome pkg, FX4 pkg, trailer tow pkg. Stock 18" wheels with BFG AT Load Range E tires (285/75R18). Timbren rubber springs on rear.

Hawk is Front Dinette model with Cassette toilet and its water tank filled, part of the 30gallons FW with 2x 12V batteries and solar. 4 corner jacks are removed (Maybe saves 120lbs?)

Add 2 passengers, the rest of our gear, cat stuff and will be over the top a bit.

Drain most of the water, remove unneeded 2nd battery (located aft of the rear axle), get to about break even. The trailer tongue weight puts it over again.

Load range E tires and Timbrens, no problems, already towed a boat with a previous 2013 Hawk loaded up to FL and back in the same truck. I run about 65 to 70lbs on the BFG AT tires. Truck sits level and handles well, stops quick enough.

Fun with numbers:

MSO lists shipped weight at about 1550lbs. I assume it includes the 4 corner jacks and likely no liquids as it was shipped dry. I removed the jacks for travel and for the weigh-in. The rear wall sticker lists around 1150lbs with standard options and 20gal water, some ice, and full propane. I have most options with an 85L compressor fridge, solar.

Truck payload is 1945# from door sticker (7050# - curb weight)
7050# - 1945# = 5105# curb weight

I have not yet weighed the truck without the camper so I do not know the actual curb weight adjusted with my installed radio gear and aftermarket tires. My tires are heavier than stock tires, and I have some radio gear and a small gel cell battery in the cab. Assuming +120# total. Tailgate is removed, it is aluminum and is maybe 40# so I get some payload back. Assuming corrected payload is now reduced by 80lbs to 1865#, just a guess for now.

So new payload number remaining before camper installed:
1945 - 80 = 1865 adjusted payload capacity

Actual camper installed weight is 6920#.
7050 - 6920 = 130 cargo capacity remaining.

Using my estimated remaining payload capacity of 1865#:
1865 - 130 = 1735 camper weight loaded with some gear and full liquids, no jacks.

Let's see if some things add up.
Stated camper ship weight on MSO is 1550#. Let's assume that includes the 4 corner jacks (est 120#). Not sure if this includes liquids as it is shipped dry.

1550 -120 = 1430 shipped camper weight minus jacks.

Subtract our actual weighed cargo:
1735 - 1430 = 305lbs cargo loaded in or on the camper itself.

I do not 305lbs of gear loaded. Water is not likely included in the MSO ship weight.

Add 30 gallons of water (20 cold + 6 hot + 4 toilet):
8.33 * 30 = 250

305 - 250 = 55lbs of cargo loaded beyond the water (no jacks).

I do not have 55lbs gear loaded in the camper but given there were a few estimates this is pretty close. I think we can assume that water weight is not included in the shipped weight figure on the MSO. Seems reasonable.

Drain water (-250), remove 2nd battery (-50), save 300lbs. Now have 430# actual payload remaining. Add 2 persons (+350), have 80# remaining for cat stuff and remaining gear, food items, fridge stuff, camper step assembly. Right at the max ratings. U haul trailer tongue weight on return trip will put it over 100-200lbs., acceptable. Removing the 2nd battery and water gave some RAWR room for the trailer tongue weight. Each tire is rated for over 3500lbs load each at full pressure (80#), lots of room there.

I picked this truck specifically because it had 36gallon tanks and 1945 payload vs the more typical 1200-1600lbs payload versions on dealer lots. Turns out I needed every pound. I had a Grandby on a 2005 RAM 2500 hemi (2600lb payload) some years before, with a hitch rack motorcycle rack previously so not my first FWC camper rodeo, wanted to drop back down to a shorter 1/2 ton with the new truck. This is actually the 2nd Hawk on this current truck. I looked at F-250s today, twice as much $$ as my F-150 was (and only have 43K miles on it), worse mpg unloaded, so sticking with the current setup. I also noted that F250 and F350 supercab XLTs with 6.5ft box are hard to find.

- Mike
K7MDL

K7MDL said:
Actual camper installed weight is 6920#.
GVWR 7050 -Scale Weight 6920 = 130 cargo capacity remaining.

Using my estimated remaining payload capacity of 1865#:
1865 - 130 = 1735 camper weight loaded with some gear and full liquids, no jacks.

- Mike
K7MDL

Even with the stated manufacturer's dry ship weight of 1550 lbs versus 1150 lbs on the rear tag - I had no idea that a FWC Hawk slide-in could be so heavy. My guess is a full build with all the bells and whistles adds up with regards to weight.

How does the F150 handle in corners with the camper on the rear?

re: Hawk camper weights (in general)...

Several years ago (2018) FWC said the average shipping weight of Hawks going out the door (at that time) was 1428 pounds. And one Hawk can vary from another Hawk (depending on layout and options) by as much as 300 pounds. See:

Manufacturer's Response: Four Wheel Camper Hawk Review

Also- In their review of the 2018 Hawk, Truck Camper Magazine computed the wet weight of a Hawk (as optioned for their test) at 2242 pounds. But that includes TCM's standard add-on for "stuff" of 500 pounds. They decided in this case that 250 pounds is more realistic, giving a wet-weight of 1992 pounds.
See:

Four Wheel Camper Hawk Review article from Truck Camper Magazine (in 2018)

I'm not sure I agree with everything TCM says but I did appreciate how the article lays out how they came up with the numbers.

Exactly why I went with a Heavy Duty Payload Package F150.. 2611 lbs.. all the benefits of a 1/2 ton truck with the payload capacity of a 3/4 ton truck (at least close)

TacomaAustin said:
Even with the stated manufacturer's dry ship weight of 1550 lbs versus 1150 lbs on the rear tag - I had no idea that a FWC Hawk slide-in could be so heavy. My guess is a full build with all the bells and whistles adds up with regards to weight.

How does the F150 handle in corners with the camper on the rear?
I have pretty much all the reasonable options. With the Timbrens and the 285/R18 Load range E tires at 65lbs or more, it handles just fine, no concerns.

I have done thousands of miles on the last Hawk with roll-over couch I had on this truck, same setup, also loaded up with options available then. Its CG was likely more forward.

Towing a 18ft aluminum fishing boat between Seatle and Tampa one way back in 2016 I recorded
3822 miles
322 gallons fuel
avg cost of fuel ~$2/gallon (seems like a long time ago), $644 total
avg mpg 11.9, corrected for tire size odometer error, 12.25 mpg.
Highest mpg on a tank 16.0 mpg
Lowest mpg on a tank 10.35 mpg

The results on the return trip north was about the same.

6 months later I drove to Tampa again but no camper installed and instead towed a loaded UHaul 6x12 trailer. Avg about 13mpg.

Last year I towed a 19ft Toy hauler from Iowa to Seattle and that was between 7 and 9mpg. Same again for a round trip to central Oregon. Ordered my current camper while in Oregon on the at trip last year, decided trailering was not my style. A year later my new Hawk was delivered.

- Mike

BBZ said:
Exactly why I went with a Heavy Duty Payload Package F150.. 2611 lbs.. all the benefits of a 1/2 ton truck with the payload capacity of a 3/4 ton truck (at least close)
In 2016 they delayed the HDPP so I went with the higher payload I could find. Turns out it is just enough, works well. No room to use a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier though which I do miss. I have a lightweight folding 2-bike trailer that works great though. Stands upright so takes little room in the garage. Being garaged always, it is a 2006 with chrome wheels, no rust, in great condition.

K7MDL said:
I have pretty much all the reasonable options. With the Timbrens and the 285/R18 Load range E tires at 65lbs or more, it handles just fine, no concerns.

I have done thousands of miles on the last Hawk with roll-over couch I had on this truck, same setup, also loaded up with options available then. Its CG was likely more forward.

Towing a 18ft aluminum fishing boat between Seatle and Tampa one way back in 2016 I recorded
3822 miles
322 gallons fuel
avg cost of fuel ~$2/gallon (seems like a long time ago), $644 total
avg mpg 11.9, corrected for tire size odometer error, 12.25 mpg.
Highest mpg on a tank 16.0 mpg
Lowest mpg on a tank 10.35 mpg

The results on the return trip north was about the same.

6 months later I drove to Tampa again but no camper installed and instead towed a loaded UHaul 6x12 trailer. Avg about 13mpg.

Last year I towed a 19ft Toy hauler from Iowa to Seattle and that was between 7 and 9mpg. Same again for a round trip to central Oregon. Ordered my current camper while in Oregon on the at trip last year, decided trailering was not my style. A year later my new Hawk was delivered.

- Mike
wow.. surprised by these number on fuel efficiency or lack thereof.. We have a Grandby on a 8 foot bed (shell model plus some extras, weighs 1250#) and the 5.0 motor. Colorado to Southern Baja and back last year we averaged just under 16 mpg for the 5000 mile trip.. Regularly get 17-18 when doing Colorado trips (usually on roads with a speed limit to great than 65)...

As far as payload, dont worry about your "heavier than stock tires" as they are unsprung weight, although they do add to the curb weight

BBZ said:
wow.. surprised by these number on fuel efficiency or lack thereof.. We have a Grandby on a 8 foot bed (shell model plus some extras, weighs 1250#) and the 5.0 motor. Colorado to Southern Baja and back last year we averaged just under 16 mpg for the 5000 mile trip.. Regularly get 17-18 when doing Colorado trips (usually on roads with a speed limit to great than 65)...
I was towing a trailer for those numbers. No trailer attached, seems like I get 15mpg at 70mph +/- 2, very wind and speed dependent. In the Columbia Gorge the headwinds are nasty, I have dropped to 11mpg. Moves up to 16-17 at 60 to 65 but I rarely want to poke along as these longer trips are transport not vacation drives.

Mike . . . congratulations for paying such close attention to your weights and GVWR! Very few people do, and very few people realize how much weights add up with seemingly inconsequential items on the truck.

Back
Top Bottom