Western Oregon and California

murr

Advanced Member
In late September we're planing a 2 week 'Bobcat' trip through the west of Or and Ca - free camping where we can and cg's where we can't. Likely we'll alternate between the coast and inland - looking for nice spots and idyllic temperatures amongst other things. As I see it, most public land allows hunting and I haven't been able to find many sites that don't. Can anyone recommend great camp sites (free or otherwise) where we won't be close to hunting? Thanks in advance.

In Oregon archery season ends Sept. 23rd and rifle season starts Sept. 29th -- so you have a small window to hit with no actual hunting. But dudes will start staking out there 'deer camp' sites early...

Originally the destination was to about Point Arena to Clearlake but Point Reyes has always been on my radar so we just might see that too. Bird watching is high on our agenda as well.

Just so you're aware, you can camp on national forest land (unless specifically prohibited) for free. Best way to plan these stops is to get one of those benchmark or gazetteer map books and look for the green areas. Find a fire road, drive up it a ways, and pitch camp. Same goes for BLM land.

A few nice cheap(er) pay sites possibly along your route I personally recommend:

Delta CG near Cougar Reservoir. Don't miss the hot springs while you're there.
Indian Creek County Park; Philo CA, Mendocino County.
Guerneville Lodge in Guerneville CA. Primitive camping on the Russian River. Free hot showers.
Navarro Beach CG on the Pacific Ocean
Valley of the Rogue SP near Grants Pass. F loop for the least highway noise. Convenient and right off I-5
Capo Blanco SP
Nordheimer CG on the Cal Salmon; Salmon River Rd. This is one of the most beautiful and least traveled areas in CA

Hi BSS -- Thanks so much - that is really good information and exactly what we want. We really enjoy those small out of the way spots that we often find only by chance. So now we know where some good spots are and that will help a lot. There are so many roads shown on the Benchmark books it's boggling but better than too few as on most maps.

No problem. I would consider all of those (except valley of the rogue) to be very low key, out of the way spots with great and privacy. Plus you don't have to worry about calling ahead or making any reservations at any of them during late Sept.

I hope you have a great trip.

It can be very difficult to find free/boondocking camp spots along the entire length of the Oregon Coast. I've certainly looked. Best options are inland. As for the coast, the Oregon State Parks are great and, after Labor Day, it's much easier to just show up and find a spot without a reservation. So many great birding spots on the coast. On the south end, try the Bandon area. There is a wildlife refuge right near town on the Coquille River. Just to the north, is secluded Whiskey Run Beach. To the south, about halfway down to Cape Blanco (western most point of the contiguous 48 states), is the New River Preserve. It's managed by the BLM;

http://www.blm.gov/o....php?siteid=326

Just at the South end of the New River area is Floras Lake County Park, which provides great access to the Blacklock Point area, very secluded and spectacular sandstone cliffs and, if there's been any fall rain, you might find Chanterelles in the woods. Can also access the area from Cape Blanco State Park to the south. The entire area from the Brookings up to Port Orford is very scenic. If you make it further north, past Florence, be sure to take the hike up to the stone shelter at the top of Cape Perpetua, just south of Yachats. Spectacular views of the ocean. If your not inclined to take the long hike to the top. It is possible to drive up and it's a short walk to the viewpoint shown in the photos. I believe the CCC built the stone structure in the '30's.

Of course, there's alot more and too much to go into.

Have a great trip!

TK

Attachments

• DSCN1782.JPG
    DSCN1782.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN1784.JPG
    DSCN1784.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom