What and where to get roof screws? When will this end?

kmcintyre

Ok, you fix one thing and find 2 more to do. I'm getting ready to install my fantastic fan and started looking at the roof, etc. The person who owned this before sprayed some silver looking "stuff" on the roof, over the screws, all over the vent, etc., etc. I'm assuming it was some type of sealant but needless to say, I have and need to replace the screws now and to remove the old vent. I might as well just replace the screws and reseal them.

I see a million different things people have done in terms of the screws but it seems strange to use screws with neoprene washers if those are like the ones they use on metal house roofs. They have a limited life span don't they? If that's the way it's done I'll do it and probably put a strip of eternabond over them? Thoughts?

Where does everyone buy (and what size, etc.) the stainless steel, self tapping screws?

Thanks again.

Kevin

mcmaster.com. Everything you would ever need.

I have posted a couple times about tining DIY truck bed liner to re-coat the roof. the best. I sprayed screws and all. No leaks and cleans easily. The only way to go.

CWD

kmcintyre said:
Where does everyone buy (and what size, etc.) the stainless steel, self tapping screws?
For my solar-panel roof installation I used #8 x 3/4" self-tapping stainless. (Could have used #10 and could have used 1".)
I buy stuff like that at Ace Hardware -- so cool to be able to buy a single screw if you want to from their bulk bins!
To seal them, before I screwed each in I gooped some Geocel "Proflex RV" sealant (bought at a local RV service/supply dealer) on the threads. Works fine.

I use the local Ace, West Marine, Lowe's, and mcmaster for hardware depending on what the hardware needs to be. So far I've only used 3M 5200 for sealant on the roof.

MarkBC said:
For my solar-panel roof installation I used #8 x 3/4" self-tapping stainless. (Could have used #10 and could have used 1".)
I buy stuff like that at Ace Hardware -- so cool to be able to buy a single screw if you want to from their bulk bins!
To seal them, before I screwed each in I gooped some Geocel "Proflex RV" sealant (bought at a local RV service/supply dealer) on the threads. Works fine.
I basically did the same thing. Good Luck!

I don't see too many folks replacing screws on their metal roofs (buildings) so I wouldn't worry about lifespan of the screws/washers. I had roof leaks and found a few screw backing out. I ended up replacing every roof screw and side trim screw with #8x3/4 self tapping stainless with a dab of 3M 5200 sealant under the screw head. That was several years ago now.

I've got a couple of screws in my roof that I've noticed that backed out. I finger tightened them back and will keep an eye on the them. I plan on replacing all of the screws soon. I've already bought some 3M 4000 marine sealant. I went with that VS the 5200 because 5200 is pretty much permanent. I'd like to think I won't ever need to redo the roof but you never know.

When you guys replaced the screws, did you also use a new washer? Was the old sealant easy to remove?

Also, are the original screws stainless? The don't look like it. Is anyone worryed about corrosion between the stainless and aluminum?

Hey Kevin - I used the screws pictured below, which I got at HD. Replaced all the roof screws and no leaks or problems, pluse thery are coated so as not to rust. I got #12's so they'd bit hard in the #8 or 10 original hole. Hope this helps.
Tom

screws.JPG

I would/did not re-use old washers - the neoprene was weathered. The little dab of original sealant (if any) came right off easily. Original screws were rusting (steel). Aluminum roof (annode) is so large compared to tiny stainless screw (cathode) that I don't loose too much sleep over galvanic corrosion. You're correct tho, riverrunner, in that there is more potential with stainless as they are further apart in the galvanic series. If my roof fails due to corrosion, well I'll have to just go get one of them new fancy one-peice screw-less roofs! :D

Thanks for the link. Somehow I missed it in some of the searches I've done. Doesn't look too bad of a job.

As an aluminum boat owner it doesn't take a lot get corrosion. The good thing is the camper isn't floating in the water...at least it shouldn't be. ;) I also agree...it would be a good excuse to get a new one piece roof!

Hey Folks

I'm replacing the trim on an '01 Hawk as there was a leak. I'm going to use the #10 crews, with neoprene washers. I am thinking on going 1" instead of the original 3/4", any reason why I shouldn't? I know they are often used on roof repairs, but will the longer length make any difference on the trim?

Thanks

KOOTFWC said:
Hey Folks

I'm replacing the trim on an '01 Hawk as there was a leak. I'm going to use the #10 crews, with neoprene washers. I am thinking on going 1" instead of the original 3/4", any reason why I shouldn't? I know they are often used on roof repairs, but will the longer length make any difference on the trim?

Thanks
I don't think using longer screws will get you anything and not sure about those washers. I'd use stainless screws and put a glob of sealant over each screw head. It won't be pretty but it won't leak.

kmcintyre said:
I don't think using longer screws will get you anything and not sure about those washers. I'd use stainless screws and put a glob of sealant over each screw head. It won't be pretty but it won't leak.
I don’t know the answer to this question, but will stainless screws cause electrolysis with the aluminum? I believe the original screws are galvanized to prevent that.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I don’t know the answer to this question, but will stainless screws cause electrolysis with the aluminum? I believe the original screws are galvanized to prevent that.
You are correct... use galvanized!

Back
Top Bottom