What "apps" do you use in your travels?

Hobart78

After about 4 years I upgraded my flip phone to the iphone 5. Over the years I often heard people say "there's and app for that". So, I recently searched for apps relating to travel that could be useful. Some were free and others cost a few bucks. Here's what I have obtained so far:
GasBuddy - Search the area you're in for best gas prices
Pandora - Music
Waze - From your current location get traffic info from other users
MapMyWalk - Measure the distance you travel
RV Parks- Gives you locations of RV Parks
Sanidumps - Facilities where you might be able to dispose of gray water, etc.
Camp & RV - Locate campgrounds and RV Parks
Rest Stops - Locations of rest areas
Weather Underground - Current and predicted weather, road cameras, etc.
MyRadar - Doppler monitored weather activities
MyQuake - Berkley seismological laboratory

What have you found useful?

Backcountry Navigator has worked for us on android phones and tablets. I had limited success with All Trails, but then it locked up.

Trimble Outdoors and NeoTreks for offline maps. NeoTreks has great contour maps and is (usually) good for seeing FS/BLM boundaries.

There are a few police scanner apps, but I've never figured out if they're very good.

And Knots 3D although I almost never tie a knot.

iHandy Level for leveling the camper.

Sky View for looking at the night sky.

Moon , How full is that moon?

Light

Compass

Altimeter

Radio Paradise for music.

Lighthawk said:
Backcountry Navigator has worked for us on android phones and tablets. I had limited success with All Trails, but then it locked up.
I am a Android user so some of these may not ba available for the iPhone. Some of these were mentioned before.

I also like Backcountry Navigator, which can sometimes replace my Garmin GPS. It may be Android only. You can download older topographical maps for free, which usually get me by. Downloading maps seems a little complex but I now have it down. If you have cell service, it will download the maps as needed. Otherwise you need to pre-download them. You can also buy an overlay (I think state by state) that helps you know if you are on public Forest Service or BLM land.

Google sky map when bored. Sat Track or Heavens-Above to track the passes of the International Space Station as well as Iridium Flares and other stuff orbiting the earth.

Android "NOAA Weather" for my weather reports. It basically connects to NOAA's website and downloads their weather forecast for your location or preset locations. Also has hourly info as well as Doppler radar.

GasBuddy to find cheaper gas.

Clinometer to help level the camper but the old fashion bubble levels work best. This is fun to play with sometime.

And I see some posted above that look like they would be fun to add to my collection. Thanks!

Steve

Forgot PeakAR (I think both iPhone and Android). It overlays your camera image with the names of the mountains in the distance.

Steve

Oh my, I use a lot of them on my ipad:

topo maps: Gaia, You Need a Map, Maplets, Scenic Map west, Scenic Map Grand Canyon, Avenza topo

maps: Google, Maps (Apple), Google earth, Public Lands, Benchmark (Oregon, California, New Mexico)

photography: Photographers' Ephemeris, Stand Here

skies, stars and water: Hi Tide, Moon phases, Sunrise and Fall, Star Walk, Star Chart

state geography: Geology series for AZ, CA, CO, ID, MT, NV, NM, UT, WA, WY

camping: Allstays, Camp and Tent (Allstays for tenters), West Coast RV Camping (Moon book), Publiccamppro, RecGovCamp, USFS and BLM campgrounds, Campwhere, Campfinder

fuel: Gas Buddy

locations: Where To, iExit, Allstays Rest Stops, Sanidumps, Ghost Towns, History Here, Lost Places, Trip Advisor

national parks: Chimani series, Oh ranger, a few for specific parks (Zion, Total Tetons, Yellowstone, Moab, Bryce), Canyon Country, NGS Park Guides

nature ID: Audubon/Nature Share series (Nature California, Northwest Nature, Rocky Mountain Nature, southwest Nature, Audubon Guides to animals, birds, flowers, trees, California wildflowers, Audubon hummingbirds, Audubon Owls,Audubon Butterflies, iBird West, Peterson Birds, Peterson Hummingbirds, Peak Finder, WA Flowers

area info: Traveler series (ID, UT, WY) Garfield County, State Lines, CCW (guns), Southern Idaho Tourism

state parks: Pocket Ranger series (MT, UT, WA, WY), state parks Coinforge (CA, ID, NM, OR, UT), Calparks, CA Parks

utilities: Altimeter, Thermometer, Clinometer, Tiltmeter, Spyglass, Survival GPS

weather: Weatherbug, Windscape, NOAA Radar Pro

state all in ones: AZ traffic, CA DOT, CO all in one, ID all in one, MT DOT, New Mexico all in one, OR ODOT Travel, UT DOT, WA DOT, Seattle Traveler, WY DOT

road cams: Road Cam WA, WyCams, WSDOT

Trails: GPS Hiker, need to find similar to All Trails (locked out even when logged in)

for fun: Solitaire, Trainyard EX, Crosswords, Jigsaw Puzzles, Flow Free, Word search, Knot Guide, Art Studio, Procreate, Wordpress, Roadtrippers,

books, pdfs: Kindle, Bluefire Reader, Issuu, iBooks, Goodreader

music/media: iHeart radio, Band of the Day, Reuters, NPR, Bands in Town

survival: SAS Survival Lite

That's quite a list but I do use them at one time or another. No signal, I do the games or read books. I have about 1000 of may favorite songs and also some of my best images to show off.

iPad is one of our best tools for the road. It saves on carrying around some maps, books, information on paper, CDs, puzzle books, etc. I don't leave home without it.

Speaking of conversions, I've been buying some Canadian Loonies . Makes trips a little easier, especially paying for gas.

Weather:
Radarcast,

Ham:
OpenAPRS.xl
Solar Monitor
Voltage Drop
Blue Sea Circuit Wizard

Geography
Theodolite,
GeoMeasure,
Triangulate
GyroCompass

Boating:
FlyToMap,
AyeTides XL
MarineTraffic

Photography:
SimpleResize

Disaster/Emergency:
QuakeWatch
FEMA
ERG 2012
Disaster Alert
Special Ops Medical Manual,

Entertainment:
Police Scanner
Flights
Grog Knots

and the FitBit app to keep me honest about how many steps I've taken

Thanks to this thread, I have added Gas Buddy and AllStays - Camp & RV

iOverlander - database of places for overlanders and travelers. It includes camping, hotels, restaurants, mechanics, water, propane...

seems to have more data points for Central America, South America and Africa

Great topic. Interesting to see some apps I've never heard of that look useful. I may need a bigger memory card!

Apps (Android) that I use which may not have not been mentioned:

CacheSense - geocaching (am I the only one here?), also useful for first-hand reports on local conditions and obscure campsites.
Earthmate - DeLorme app for use with inReach satellite communicator; has detailed topo maps.
Feedly - reader for keeping current with my favorite news, entertainment and blogging websites.
Instagram - photo posting from phone.
Mr. Number - call blocker, nothing worse than being interrupted by spam calls.
Oregon Trip Checker - Oregon DOT's app similar to their TripCheck webpage.
PDF Maps - good for looking at maps downloaded as PDF files of which there are many including Forest Road classifications.
Stuck On Earth - photo travel ideas.
Torque - OBD2 reader for truck, in case diagnostics are needed on the trail.
Uconnect Access - remote access to vehicle doors and starting.
Wander The West - of course!
Wildfire - info and links, an unpleasant fact of life in the West.

Back
Top Bottom