What "apps" do you use in your travels?

Earthmate- for our new InReach GPS
Backcountry Navigator- can be excellent, IF you download maps while on the grid
Google Maps- to create annotated custom maps, download the GPX, then inport to BC Nav
Spotify- download playlists for off grid listening
Amazon music- also offline listening
Mini boom- USB powered/battery powered bluetooth speaker
Dropbox- add a star next to a file for offline reading of camera manuals or other pdf's

I must be doing something wrong. No apps. I have a couple (knots, ham, survival) but I've never used any while traveling. I try and ignore the phone.

When I'm out camping I routinely use the GPS in my phone, mostly with the Android app called "GPS Status". I use it to determine the lat/lon coordinates of where I'm camped -- for future reference. I Copy the lat/lon for a particular day's camp and Paste to that day on my Calendar app. It's especially useful when I'm boondocking in some anonymous spot -- a "place with no name".
GPS function doesn't depend on cell connection so I can rely on it wherever I am.

I've used "Backcountry Navigator Pro" and "Backpacker GPS Trails Pro" a few times to record my hikes and -- if I pre-download the maps -- as a tiny map of my planned hike area. But I don't use them much.
I really do prefer "analog" paper maps for browsing...though I have MS Streets and Trips in my laptop and use it for highway route planning.

When I'm out-and-about and I have a good cell connection I use all the same apps as when I'm home -- the whole smartphone OCD routine. ;)

craig333 said:
I must be doing something wrong. No apps. I have a couple (knots, ham, survival) but I've never used any while traveling. I try and ignore the phone.
I don't think you're doing anything wrong! You just have a preference for no phone. Years ago I had a lot of books on camping and hiking, but it just seems so much easier, faster and more up-to-date on a phone, it quickly becomes addicting. Plus I can take care of business if necessary. On the other hand, when I'm in remote areas with no Internet, I really enjoy the break from the phone; no email, no calls, etc. As long as you're out traveling, that's what counts!

Back
Top Bottom