What are the odds?

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I spent the morning running a big metal blade weed whacker, chopping blackberry vines at a local wildlife area. Much of the thicker stuff was about half poison oak, up to my knees at times. Right now, I am pondering what my chances are of dodging the P O bullet. On my hands and face I tried a product called Tecnu that is purported to denature the P O oils. Hope it works!

Hello W.S.
I hope you have good results.
I've had poison ivy and poison oak more times than anyone should ever have that crap. Just thinking of it makes my skin itch.

Russ

I wish you luck too. I get PO every spring clearing weeds, brushing, and bucking tree's on my property. I wear a long sleeve shirt over a long sleeve tee, bib overalls, scarf around my neck, gloves,knee high rain boots, hard hat with face shield and scrub with poison oak soap immediately after I'm done and still get rashes on my arms and wrists and anywhere else it wants to pop up. I treat my clothes like toxic waste and wash it right away in hot water. My theory is that when I hit the PO with the weed eater the oils are mixing in with the dust I'm creating which I'm breathing and I get it systemically. Yes, I have used Tecnu and I'm sure it helps but no more than the poison oak soap you see at the local lumber yard. I'm probably ultra sensitive to PO at as I'm pretty sure I've gotten it just from looking at it.

MarkBC said:
My friends use Tecnu on their dogs after similar exposure. Based on your avatar -- should work.
:p

Wandering Sagebrush said:
My friends use Tecnu on their dogs mainly because the male half of the (human) couple is hyper-sensitive to poison oak and would get it from touching the dogs otherwise.

Tecnu works for me on issues from the natural environment and the wife uses it for poisonous cacti exposure.
I hope it also works for you.

However, get both products, the Original - Removes Poison Oak & Ivy Oils (outdoor skin cleanser, 12 oz.) use this one first.
Then use the Calagel - Relives Itch and Pain (First Aid Antiseptic, Skin Protectant & Topical Analgesic, 6 oz.).

MarkBC said:
My friends use Tecnu on their dogs mainly because the male half of the (human) couple is hyper-sensitive to poison oak and would get it from touching the dogs otherwise.
One of my former colleagues had the same problem. Hyper-sensitive and an out of control Jack Russell terrier.

Alley-Kat said:
Tecnu works for me on issues from the natural environment and the wife uses it for poisonous cacti exposure.I hope it also works for you. However, get both products, the Original - Removes Poison Oak & Ivy Oils (outdoor skin cleanser, 12 oz.) use this one first.Then use the Calagel - Relives Itch and Pain (First Aid Antiseptic, Skin Protectant & Topical Analgesic, 6 oz.).
A-K, I just used the first. I hope to not have to go for the second.

The type of soap doesn't really matter, regular dish soap works fine for removing the oils that cause a reaction. The key to avoiding reactions is to wash soon after exposure, really scrub the area with a wash cloth (the oils stick like grease), and don't forget all the difficult spots to clean (between the fingers, elbow crease, back of the arm). I get exposed at work on a regular basis and once I adopted these practices I rarely end up with a reaction.

I get it bad. Tecnu didn't do much for me. I've always been told to use cold water to avoid spreading the oils. Dunno. I do have some treatments that work but definitely aren't doctor approved ;)

OK guys try this one on . I grew up in northern California and had many a run in with that weed and soap and water and calamine lotion (that spelled right?), anyway that pink stuff -was the usual remedy and over time I usually learned to try avoid po-a very difficult thing to do because I worked in the woods. I went to work for the BLM in the Sierras and central Calif and eventually I lucked out and got transferred to the (mostly PO free ) Northern Great Basin and over time forgot about the dang bush.

Well, maybe after 15-20 years , I got a call from BLM in Redding that they needed some help to do some test excavations on an archaeological site near Shasta Lake. I showed up on a nice sweaty hot day and they said hey why don't put in a test unit over there in those bushes-oh those ones with the shinny green leaves; something sort of starts to ring a bell here :unsure: but I laid out my gear, measured in my 1x1m unit and cut down the bush(es) [sound familiar Steve] and started digging, hmmm, lots of greasy and sort of leaking roots and -----next thing I know, someone was waking me up. Don't remember to much but someone said I was singing and making noises before that. Seems like I had passed out a couple of feet or so down in my unit. Yep dug right down through a bunch of PO-roots and all, just breathing in all that good stuff in. Let the fun begin! My day was done and as was my usefulness to the project and home I went. I felt pretty bad the next day and survived but at least I was back in my wonderful Great Basin.

Here is some more to that story. We have to record every thing we do when excavate a site and every 10/20 cm we stop and record and draw what we just did or found before we dig the next level. As I sat there in my hole, trying to figure out what I was doing, someone started reading my field notes and started to laugh! I later read them myself and yep-they started out fine then :oops: I became a stoner or a drunk or something as I drifted off into la la land. You learn something every day but you tend to forget things when you don't deal with them a regular basis like I used to. Yep, everyone knows that working on a fire line around the stuff is no fun-breathing it in and all. So,lets add another "no-no" to the act of living-or not: Know where you are going and what things you might run into when you get there, and yes why didn't my mind and past life say stop, "hey what is this stuff, it sure looks like something I should know about-why don't I ask someone". Ya live and learn I guess! Yep PO and black berry bushes-the bane of field work on the other side of the hill.

Smoke

So far I’m doing ok... it’s been over 24 hours. A couple more days to go to be sure. Just remembered I need to scrub my boots! Eek!

Hopefully you will avoid the worst: "aerosoling" poison ivy or poison oak can cause bad reactions in eyes, throats, and lungs (another reason to wear goggles). For poison ivy/oak skin outbreaks, we apply Diphenydramine hydrocholoride (Benadryl) cream with good results (our package says this is a recommended use).

Believe it or not, I dodged the bullet. Still have to scrub down my Merrill nylon shell boots, but rubber gloves are handy. If I dodge it again, it will be lottery ticket time :p

When I was young on the farm we burned down andold chicken house and massive dead cherry tree beside it.
The tree was long dead and had become an arbor of sorts for a very old Poison Ivy vine.

My brother tending the fire experienced an alergic reaction that has lasted his entire life.

Mother nature.....

David Graves

Tecnu user here.
Cool showers are best, and soap up everywhere, as it's easy to have spread it with your hands. Don't ask me how I know.

Back
Top Bottom