What battery are you using with your solar system?

My Bobcat (sold yesterday) had an East Penn Intimidator group 24 AGM. In spite of the goofy “intimidation” name, they are good batteries.

5outta6 said:
I've seen that thread but that doesn't answer my question.......
What is it that you want to know? Brand? Size? Type? Form factor?
Brand - I use and recommend Rolls/Surrette batteries. A reputable brand will include spec sheets on their batteries, with specific voltages, temperature coefficients, charge cycles, etc. Trojan have been good in the past too.
https://rollsbattery.com/battery/s6-275agm/

Size - Depends on your usage patterns. I use 250 AH batteries in mine. Sized to be able to keep me running for 3 days without charging.
Type - AGM for me... and that is as opposed to FLA (flooded lead acid) or LiFePo. The AGM's are relatively maintenance free and don't gas off much. Also supposedly better able to handle vibration than FLA.
Form Factor - Type GC2 (Golf Cart 2). Most people think "golf cart" means FLA 6v. GC2 is a size standard, not voltage or cell type.

I hope that helps

I don't require many amp hrs for my style of camping, plus I run the fridge on propane. I have a 55ah blue top optima battery with a 60 watt panel. Optima blue tops are dual purpose and not a deep cycle battery in the truest sense but it does what I need.. I got 5 years out of the first one before it died due to a malfunctioning solar controller.

I use two Lifeline GPL-4CT 6V 220 Ah batteries (66 lLbs each) connected in serial producing 12V 220 Ah which provide about 110 usable Ah. The batteries and charge /monitoring electronics are under the couch in the camper.

I have 200 W of Solar panels on the camper and use a Victron solar charge controller and a Vicrtron battery monitor both having bluetooth so I can remotely monitor the Solar charging and the batteries as well as the history of the battery charging/discharging from my iphone.

Regards,

Craig

Back
Top Bottom