What camper was 2nd on your list?

97grandby

As we are in the fwc section, most if not all have a fwc. Just wondering, what was your other campers you were looking at or considering before getting a fwc? What pushed you over the edge to a fwc?

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

I really liked Alaskan, Hallmark and XP.

XP didn't have a camper for my truck yet (no V3 model).

The cost of Alaskan and Hallmark were $10,000+ more than my new FWC.
I do admit the quality of both of their products are hard to argue with and probably worth the extra money.
But FWC makes a quality product for less money that has an amazing resale - so if I wanted to trade in the future I would not be out much money.

But you never know about me and the other brands. Seems like I can't keep a camper for more than a few years before I try another one.

Even though FWC frustrates me with their rigid "no changes" policy (and the worst drawers ever built) I was super impressed by the no-drama quality of my first 2012 Hawk.

Wanting more room I flirted extensively with Tiger and Phoenix. But at the end of the day the Tigers were just too big for where we like to go. And Phoenix... well, I don't want to get banned so I'll say nothing. When we saw the new Hawk Flatbed model we didn't even bat an eye. Love at first sight.

Even though we are still happy I probably should have investigated the custom options of an ATC flatbed. And now I am eyeing the new 2016 diesel 4WD Sprinters. And that even though I haven't seriously camped in our new Hawk FB since picking it up in late October! Sure wish spring would come! :)

Hallmark. I also looked at Outfitter, Alaskan, and ATC. In the end Hallmark would have been $15,000+/-. I also like the Alaskan, but it also was way more expensive and they didn't return my e-mails or phone call. After reading so many posts by Alaskan owners and there high regard for Bryan, just never understood why they failed to follow up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

We wanted to avoid raising our garage door header, currently 8', and only FWC and ATC came in under 8' on the truck. FWC had the synthetic lift panels, no roof screws, and the roll over couch. Easily creating two beds in such as small space is wonderful since our previous Aliner trailer was a pain to convert the two dinettes to two beds. Hauling a trailer was a hassle and we could not leave one campground, hike a trail, and then camp at another campground with most trail parking lots unsuitable for a trailer.

We flirt with a Hallmark for our next camper but the sleeping arrangement for two beds is not as neat as FWC (I toss and turn). The only things our Granby is missing for camping "anywhere" is better sound proofing and a toilet both of which require a larger camper. Staying under 8' for our garage door header has proven to be a large advantage since we made it under many branches reaching trails.

I went back an forth between a small Aliner Scout Trailer (hard sides) and the FWC. End the end it was FWC because I didn't want to pull a trailer down rough forest roads. Didn't consider any other truck campers and am very happy with my Eagle shell (2008).

Chris

Attachments

• scout.jpg
    scout.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 105
Actually the FWC was 2nd on the list. We had no east coast dealers when I was looking. A FWC for sale is pretty rare here in the east.

I figured I'd end up with a small used Sunlite. Those in the mini truck size pop up from time to time in good shape. But shortly after Mainline Overland came on line as a dealer I found a used Eagle shell that was perfect. Had to drive to Florida to get it.

I never had second thoughts about anything else. FWC seemed to be the right fit for me and I have had zero regrets buying one. As I get older things will change and I will likely seek out more comfort. Perhaps a 24'+ unit at a vacation property. We will probably keep the FWC being it is so fantastic for short trips and adventures.

iowahiker said:
We wanted to avoid raising our garage door header, currently 8', and only FWC and ATC came in under 8' on the truck. FWC had the synthetic lift panels, no roof screws, and the roll over couch. Easily creating two beds in such as small space is wonderful since our previous Aliner trailer was a pain to convert the two dinettes to two beds. Hauling a trailer was a hassle and we could not leave one campground, hike a trail, and then camp at another campground with most trail parking lots unsuitable for a trailer.

We flirt with a Hallmark for our next camper but the sleeping arrangement for two beds is not as neat as FWC (I toss and turn). The only things our Granby is missing for camping "anywhere" is better sound proofing and a toilet both of which require a larger camper. Staying under 8' for our garage door header has proven to be a large advantage since we made it under many branches reaching trails.
Hallmark does build with a roll over couch on request. There is a length limitation due to the lift system placement. We've only recently become fans of the roll over couch for simplicity of conversion to a bunk. The Hallmark is a bit taller though since there is a 5" high under the bed storage area.

I was really ready to buy a Granby flatbed instead of the Hallmark, but was trumped by the Mrs. who really liked the feel of the Hallmark. The Granby flatbed might have been more space than we needed though. I had a chance to check out this flatbed model a the Denver ISE show.

FWC was my second choice. ATC was #1. I ended up finding a local used FWC. No regrets. About 6 months I started considering a Northstar for more room but not many used ones around. I'd really like something wider and a tad longer like a Keystone. Recent changes in life may limit camping time so I'll keep the FWC for now and hope to be able to use it once in awhile.

Didn't have one. Never desired a slide in camper until I saw FWC at the inaugural Overland Expo - East. FWC was all I ever wanted. Perfect for my camping style off a pickup. Not Gucci, but manly refined.

Options were more limited when I got mine. Maybe I'd have gone with ATC if they'd been in business, who knows but I've been more than happy with my camper.

I really like the Sportsmobile, but I would have had to sell my Tacoma and have it as my only vehicle.
Even though I keep the FWC on all the time, I have the option of using my truck as a pick-up truck again.
So, I guess FWC #1 and Sportsmobile #2

If I end up wanting to do more extensive camping (like f/t), I'd consider selling my FWC + Taco for a Sportsmobile.
The main reason would be having the ability to get into the driver seat from the bedroom and leave if I want.

So I must admit that the FWC Fleet was second on my list, sitting on a 2015 4WD Tacoma. I previously had several sportsmobiles on Ford econoline builds. With the demise of the econoline and the soaring prices of used sportmobiles I wanted to upgrade to a newer model and the sportsmobile became priced out of my budget. I began looking for something with 4WD, small footprint and priced under 100k, that is how I stumbled upon the FWC. I purchased my fleet in Jackson Hole sight unseen. I had previously only seen pictures of a FWC. I want to say the dealer was wonderful to work with and answered all of my newbie questions with patience and understanding.

To compare the two vehicles is difficult because you are comparing a $120k {nicely equipped 4wd sportsmobile}vehicle to a $60k (fleet and Tacoma fully loaded} vehicle. I do miss the storage of the sportsmobile but am learning to use the storage space in the truck. The quality build of the FWC is very good in comparison to the sportsmobile. I am pleased with my purchase and would make a similar choice again.

NorthStar until we looked at it. Loved the galley, table, and clothes storage under the bed.

Deal Breaker:
1. Storage under bed lessened the distance between the tip of my nose to ceiling = 11 inches (claustrophobia)
2. Couldn't turn over without hitting ceiling with my shoulder
3. Had to crawl into bed - in and out on knees and elbows. (crawling into a sewer pipe)
4. Shell model not available
5. Missing FWC great customer service.

With Four Wheel
I. can sit all the way up in bed
2. 'Skootch' out out on our fannies.
3. Get great FWC customer Service

Back
Top Bottom