what can I expect to pay?

Oryguntroutbum

I was wondering how many of you have bought your FWC used and what I can expect to pay for something that is relatively problem free. I need something to fit a shortbed Dodge 3/4 ton. Is paying $2,500-3,000 a pipe dream? I'm not concerned about the age of the camper as much as the condition.

I was wondering how many of you have bought your FWC used and what I can expect to pay for something that is relatively problem free. I need something to fit a shortbed Dodge 3/4 ton. Is paying $2,500-3,000 a pipe dream? I'm not concerned about the age of the camper as much as the condition.

I looked for several months and any thing between $7,000 and $8,000K was sold before I could look at it. I fell into a deal on a 2002 Hawk for $3500 in almost new condition. A friend told me about a customer of his thinking about selling before he put up an add. Had an offer to double my money in the first month. $2,500 to $3,000 might be a pipe dream but you may find one. Be ready to buy if you do.

Bill in Stockton

A lot of the pricing is in what's in the camper. Go through the lists of standard items and optional items and pricing on those. You really need to be aware of all this stuff and decided what's important to you from the list. A few items, like the sliding front window are hard to do later, the camper's frame tends to be made to match what's initially put into it and changing frame is serious business. It's quite complex to get a screen door if the camper does not have one, you have to replace the entire door! (expensive to buy, expensive to ship) Estimate your cost as initial buy plus fixing it up to fit your camping. And in judging prices count what comes with it. It's more than just basic camper condition. As a result of this don't work on a universal price, judge each camper separately.

I got a 2007 Eagle shell model and it cost over twice what you are dreaming about just for it (and that does not count over 5000 miles to go get it). I might could have done better, but being on the east coast my choices and opportunities were very limited. I was lucky to get the Eagle as it did not get listed where it was seen properly. A shell model means no appliances at all, it did have the fantastic fan on the vent, and the front sliding window, and was equipped with jacks and the Yakima roof rails. The original owner had filled the bottom with a large sleeping platform for his kids, nothing else. It was in excellent shape, but a blank slate for me to equip. That's good in that you can put in just what you want, and bad because of the work and money involved doing that. Several thousand in appliances, propane tanks, water tank, electrical (110v & 12v) with a battery bank and charging, tankless hot water heater (for shower) and so on. I'll probably be over $9,000 by the time I'm done, maybe more, I'm trying not to cut corners I'll later regret. I did save a lot on shipping of all the add on's as I was near FWC when I picked it up so could buy a lot to bring back with me. So not all the gas it took was just going and looking gas cost.

I'd say as you get into the lower levels of price and very old you are going to get into a lot more rebuild or add on unless you are extremely lucky. And you have to watch out for what fits, the campers are not universal size but tend to be built for the size of trucks when they were built, even in the same model name. Prices on campers are set by individual owners, as is their care of their camper. some have inflated imaginations about price, others no clue and practically give them away. Occasionally folks make a killing buying, but that's not the norm. Be informed on what you are buying and practical as to price.

I paid $1500'ish for a mostly working 1993 Grandy. I had to put another $500 into it to make it 100% ready to roll - But I will be keeping it until it falls apart!

It took me 3 months and calling/emailing on every popup of any make that came up on Craiglist within 100 miles. The one I bought had a 2 sentence description and no picture. I had no idea what brand it was when I went to look at it.

Bigun's post reminds me that Four Wheel Campers started business in Colorado. You will probably see more of the older (and less expensive) campers still in the Rocky Mountain area.

Keep in mind when considering how old a camper you are looking at, the model year of your Dodge. The FWC's made before 1990 were wider at the "step" than the tailgate opening of the newer Dodges.

Four Wheel Campers has this fit charts that helps:

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/index.php/shopping-tools/fit-guide/#fwc_newer

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/index.php/shopping-tools/fit-guide/#fwc_older

That said, A gentleman in my town has an 80's Keystone that fits his 90's Chevrolet. To the best of our knowledge the camper has not been modified to fit. He got lucky I guess. The point is if you do find a "vintage" FWC measure both the camper and your pickup for both width and height for proper fit.

Good Luck in your search.

I felt very fortunate to get this camper 2001 lightly used Grandby looked for close to a year 3800.00 got beat out on a few , but this one made up for it !

grd1.jpg

grd7.jpg

grd3.jpg

grd4.jpg

grd5.jpg

T3.jpg

Original pictures from seller , except the one mounted on my truck :) , you either have to be very lucky or look real hard to find a deal , I hope you have some LUCK lol because I put in a ton of time to find it , happy hunting , D

PS I love my FWC !

OMG man that is a deal I have been on the hunt for over a year but I will say at times I lose my focus because of river trips and work but nice buy. I have made an offer on one in CA but the owner wanted to give the CL a week to see if he could get closer to his asking price. Fingers are crossed.

Back
Top Bottom