What do you do for outdoor dog pen?

hoyden

Lady Bug
Not sure if this goes here....

My old pug will simply wander away if off-leash, and Argos is pretty good but I still worry "squirrel!" ... but it's nice to sit outside while campering with a good book. I usually attach the dogs' leashes to the camper, but that sucks.

I tried a rather bulky plastic enclosure, but it was a hassle to set up and well, bulky.

What do y'all use?

aK8edu2Doa1tcwm-cp8hKT0kSXsa7d-bmKxH_OjI7N65YcoWICV9BH3ab67OMVkhQjLJ3nQ5SyvnLCjQMTZA1lVfD5SdkjCASzDbx5k5yzJYY5Ovz_HGUfYDwKbUFZQGIpsFf9Gfcp1wJOgBJ5-C-5OddI8KYP1oBspZFwqCoOiKaRv58TL6ZuoBM_3PL43570TQ3grFnBqTfS98QsFjfuNax17K55tsDldFH9_HOuATNk9I1B9kxR0Iklr99JZxCkN5lC288UUwHm07WcbcZXSWbTpWjfX3cVEvEVpN7ZREq2hThuk2BVGI3I4S43aJzV7CTHMeNYUWTYJt6OphzMyqVG_2KkKQ56VWXcyoIc2FanGOTuCcKB6QYo7x03t2ULZ9ti2pF_64hGnThndQNAOMU4JSZP62iREbYVTP58UD7Ms4hFaAjhgaGEpsQa52__aLn1j6dQhdT_yvcakULSt_Bf1cuOV_utVxGfXGOON3oP8Jd4gxn5M9XIsOLqwbbe6XOTCm_bk2rSBYgiEImpbhTmnTZFYXBCYIO8235W0hXUMpU85Z1HlZxcTurjF3VWAeFjehMdnhOai5eXgXnI_KW5csJJwk0txoP_entGQcLAJBrA=w2688-h1520-no

Dawn, for about $100, you can get a metal, folding pen of roughly 4' height. They fold flat for storage and transport. Maybe 25 pounds. I got mine at a feed store, but pet stores have them as well.

Are you talking about one like this?

P16257463.jpg

Where do you store it? Are they easy to set up?
I had a metal crate for a while for Argos and it was kind of a hassle to set up and the metal got 'stuck' together often.

That is it exactly. I haven't yet had to transport it, so I can't advise on where to store it. If I take mine out with the Bobcat, it will probably go on the Yakima bars.

The ones (I've seen/friends have) don't have a door in one of the panels. The end panels just meet end to end and a snap hook like on a leash attaches them together. Fold them flat accordion style to store.

Paul

Hm. I was hoping for something easy plastic for lighter-weight, but I'll go to the store tomorrow and check these out.
Hopefully, they'll have in stock.

What about a couple dog runs like this? You can always attach one end to the jack brackets, about $40 on Amazon.

I can lock him in his house but it wouldn't be hard to escape from.

Mostly I use a 15' cable. Pita when it gets wrapped around everything so I much prefer to just leave him off leash. Riley won't wander off very far so the cable is mostly used in those rare situations where I'm using a crowded campground.

In this pic it looks like I had Yuma's leash looped over the trailer ball.

Cayuse - that video is funny! The dog is like "hey, where are you going?"
I like that idea, except that I'd need a tree or something and with two dogs, might get tangly.

Craig333 - what's that little enclosure in the foreground next to the left taillight? Small doggie shade pen?

I use parachute chord. 8' for in campground, 16' for boondocking. I don't have room to carry around a folding fence and the beagle would not be happy in one. I use an anchor inside the camper but any attachment point on the truck would work. Trick with two dogs is to connect their leashes to the same attachment point; any intertwining just move up the rope and if you use a swivel they self correct. I have to untangle Simon every couple of hours, but after checking out his area he just moves between sun and shade, comes over to me for some lovin', gets in and out of the camper, or gets up to bark at something. I use nylon rope as it is more flexible than polyester rope; cables are stiff and Simon kinks them up and they eventually break.

jim

Katie-lass will also wander off. Like others here I use a long cable. It takes up very little storage space which makes it worth unwinding the dog from a tree from time to time. I never leave her unattended. I never seriously considered a pen because of the storage issue.

We have 15' cable that we hook up to the picnic table or the tow hitch and have a mat in the area to lay on. Our lab is only on the cable when we are sitting outside with her.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Back
Top Bottom