what do you do in bear country?

DonC

I've never had a camper or RV, and am doing the research for a FWC. One question - if you are in a place like Yosemite where you need to put your food in a bear locker, what do you do with all the food in your fridge? With my current truck/shell combo I always have an ice chest that I can just put in the bear locker. Do you need to carry an empty ice chest just for this purpose, which would not help if you have frozen food in your frig?

I've been to Yosemite several time and each time I've asked several ranger's opinion and the generally accepted answer is as follow.

1. If it is in the fridge it is OK.
2. If it outside of the fridge and it has any odor to it (scented tp too) put it in the bear box.
3.If you are going out for a while or after dark put the top down.
4.Keep the flaps and vent closed and draw all the curtains when out.

I think I read somewhere (here?) that Yellowstone has approved any hard/soft sided camper as long as the hard sided part is greater than four feet high above ground, but then again I sometimes read too much into things.
If someone can post a pic of a hard sided motorhome that a bear broke into you will see that it does not make too much difference either way.

I've never had a camper or RV, and am doing the research for a FWC. One question - if you are in a place like Yosemite where you need to put your food in a bear locker, what do you do with all the food in your fridge? With my current truck/shell combo I always have an ice chest that I can just put in the bear locker. Do you need to carry an empty ice chest just for this purpose, which would not help if you have frozen food in your frig?

This is a good subject and very worthy of discussion. There have been 3 people killed by Grizzlies this year in ID and MT.

I camp in bear country quite often. And it's boondocking, no bear safe containers for your food. And I've been doing it safely for 50 years!!!!

Keep a sparkling clean camp.

Wash up dishes after every meal. Don't leave bacon scented dishes in camp while your off fishing. Same for evening meal while your sleeping.

Keep your trash out of camp and suspended in a tree.

No after shave or perfumes. And ladies, if it's that time of the month stay home!!!!

When backpacking I suspended my pack with food, even tho freeze dried stuff, out of camp and high above ground.

I've never had a problem leaving food in my fridge/cooler in my camper.

I've had several bear encounters back in my car/tent days. Once a PO'd Griz ran full speed across my sleeping bag, outside the tent, and knocked me ass over tea kettle!! Once a Blackie came into camp at night and destroyed an canister filled with bread and marsh-mellows. Yup, should have been up in the tree. Another night a Blackie came into camp and took my laundry off the line and put it back in the creek!!! Guess he thought it wasn't clean enough!!!!

I still do considerable hiking/camping in bear country. Hiking, I especially go out of my way to make noise. Coming around a bend to a surprised Griz can be the very last thing you do. If you saw as many bear as bear saw you many folks would never venture into the woods again!!!

The ID/MT borders are populated with bear. I also carry a fire extinguisher sized can of bear spray and a .44 mag. :)

Consider how you manage your grey water too. Disperse it over a largish area away from camp not in a single puddle outside the door of the camper. (assuming you aren't packing it out.)

... And ladies, if it's that time of the month stay home!!!!

There is no evidence that supports a causal relationship between human menstruation and grizzly/black bear attacks. It has been studied. Polar bears eat people so anything human attracts them.

Silvertip47 pretty much sums it up. Keep a clean camp, keep the odors as close to zero as possible, and if you know there's a bear around, move.

I spent 30+ years working in the Canadian Arctic in the summer, living out on the land. I saw literally dozens of Blacks, Grizzlies, and Polar bears and never had single serious encounter. The key is to never become complacent. Don't worry, just pay attention.

Bear spray is very effective if used properly. However, like a firearm, it takes training and practice to use properly. See if you can find a course on how to use the stuff. It seems simple but when the adrenalin is pumping is not the time to be reading the manual. One important consideration is to keep the spray handy. Mine lives beside the door.

September21201102.jpg

It isn't much good having it in a drawer or somewhere you have to hunt for it.

Here in Canada we can't carry handguns period and firearms of any kind are not allowed in National Parks. That's probably just as well. Good housekeeping, common sense, paying attention, and ,as a last resort, bear spray should keep you out of mischief.

Consider how you manage your grey water too. Disperse it over a largish area away from camp not in a single puddle outside the door of the camper. (assuming you aren't packing it out.)

There is no evidence that supports a causal relationship between human menstruation and grizzly/black bear attacks. It has been studied. Polar bears eat people so anything human attracts them.

No evidence? OK. No other animal has a keener sense of smell than a bear. You can put your loved ones at risk. I choose not to. "It has been studied". Sure, there is no way you could pin a bear attack solely on that criteria. But you can not prove that it wasn't a factor.

Spending the first 55 years of my life camping, hunting and fishing North Idaho you don't take chances with bear. I don't give a damn if there are no case "studies" or not. You're dead a long long time!!!

No evidence? OK. No other animal has a keener sense of smell than a bear. You can put your loved ones at risk. I choose not to. "It has been studied". Sure, there is no way you could pin a bear attack solely on that criteria. But you can not prove that it wasn't a factor.

Spending the first 55 years of my life camping, hunting and fishing North Idaho you don't take chances with bear. I don't give a damn if there are no case "studies" or not. You're dead a long long time!!!

I didn't mean to offend you.

But there are studies. The question and observation that menstruation could be a factor was made and then became the basis of experiment for scientists and groups that very much want to protect people in bear country. Their conclusion is that there is no evidence to suggest that human menstruation has a causal link to bear attack.

Protect yourself and your loved ones in what ever way you believe. I approve. But the advice you have given has been shown to be false with scientific protocols that are public knowledge. People making choices as to whether their situation increases their risk factors should be made aware. You are free to argue that the protocols are flawed; Science will appreciate it.

I didn't mean to offend you.

But there are studies. The question and observation that menstruation could be a factor was made and then became the basis of experiment for scientists and groups that very much want to protect people in bear country. Their conclusion is that there is no evidence to suggest that human menstruation has a causal link to bear attack.

Protect yourself and your loved ones in what ever way you believe. I approve. But the advice you have given has been shown to be false with scientific protocols that are public knowledge. People making choices as to whether their situation increases their risk factors should be made aware. You are free to argue that the protocols are flawed; Science will appreciate it.

Indeed the bear has the best sniffer so I'll assume he/she can smell any human. I'm not familiar with the above research but to me it raises the interesting issue of how the notion that menustrating females are bear attracters. makes some logical sense but I'm sure there have been other contributing factors.

No offense at all!!!! And I did not mean to sound offended. Problem with forums!!!!

Anyway, sure, it may be an old wives's tale but I am not taking the chance. And because someone studied it and found no supporting evidence does not mean it can't happen. IMHO it is impossible to reproduce what a bear or any animal for that matter, thinks at any given time.

Was it that smell of fresh blood that prompted the attack? The only one to answer that is the bear and what he was thinking at the time. Even humans will react differently to a same scenario, how can we expect bear to do the same?

I have been fascinated with bear all my life and read many books on Blacks and Grizzlies. Polar bear really do not interest me as we don't have any!!!

Yes I read the "study" where, can't remember his name, "analyzed" Grizzly bear attacks and "concluded" there was no evidence of menstrual odors contributing to the attack. OK, a person does a study and draws a conclusion on the subject and writes a paper. But does this make it so? Is this some type of guarantee that it will not ever happen? I hardly think so!!!

I have also never seen any actual experiments with Grizzlies and menstrual odors. Not that it would make any difference in my opinion because like I said, it is impossible to duplicate what a bear is thinking at any given point.

I've been to Yosemite several time and each time I've asked several ranger's opinion and the generally accepted answer is as follow.

1. If it is in the fridge it is OK.
2. If it outside of the fridge and it has any odor to it (scented tp too) put it in the bear box.

I usually have lots of prepackaged food (cans of soup, fruit cups, energy bars, etc) crammed in the cabinets. Is it recommended that those type of items all get removed and put in the bear box? That would be rather inconvenient but, from what I have read, the Yosemite bears are very skilled and persistent about getting food.

I backpacked for 30 years in my younger days in the Sierra wilderness and Yosemite. Hanging food up trees is no longer the accepted method against Bears, they are very bright and have found ways to get to your food. The recommeded way now is Bear canisters. Also when I was car tenting and would store my ice chest and food stuff containers in my truck, I always covered them with a tarp, Bears are wise to what a ice chest holds. Many a morning I have gotten up out of my tent and seen numerous muddy bear prints on my truck from them looking to see if I had my food stored in the truck and had no problem with them.

What to do in Bear Country = 45-70 .... Don't take chances with your life. Leave the spray with the mail man so he can deal with pesky dogs.

This the thing about National Parks. The "pets" learn to tolerate humans and vice versa. I do not spend much time in our national parks because of this. It sickens me to see our wild life licking salt off the highway while traffic comes to a stop to take photos. The Jasper Town site is littered with Elk ... Is this natural? In Jasper Park we have 400 inch elk that parks its self about 10k west of the North Gate. I think they pay him $8.00/hr to have him pose for photos as he lives there full time. I am sure he is there as I write this post signing autographs! It turns my stomach when tourists chase bear cubs through the trees (not knowing where the sow is) to get "that photo." The sad reality is that when the bear turns on the photographer it must be put down.

My apologies if I am taking this thread in the wrong direction.

I learned as a backpacker to cover my cooler with a tarp and to leave an uncapped small bottle of ammonia in my vehicle. I've heard a bear's nose is a thousand times more sensitive than a dogs, but I don't know if that's true. Usually at the TH or camp, it's a matter of being less of a target than someone else' camp. :LOL:

If theres bear boxes I'll use them otherwise I don't worry about it. Boondocking I don't even worry about keeping a clean camp. Never had an issue. I've seen a bear tear off a car door, I know what they're capable of but I try and keep things in perspective. Theres a whole lot of things to worry about that are lot more likely than having a bear attack. Heck, I think my biggest worry is doing a face plant getting out of the camper.

I carry bear spray but I don't expect it will ever get used. Its just against the odds. I'm more likely to win the lottery or get struck by lightning. Sure getting eaten alive is not a pleasant thought but you have to keep in mind the only reason we even read about bear attacks is because they are so rare. If they were common they wouldn't make the news. Worry about the drive or the two legged creatures, something thats likely to happen.

What I do is use the bear box if they are available and if you plan on not being around your camper for a few hours. If you plan on doing a hike, carry a extra cooler and spend the time to remove your food. Yosemite has some of the most determined bears I have ever seen.
If your boondocking and your in bear country, then I never leave my camper unless I have a very clean camp and never more than an hour or two. Another option, and this is extreme, is to bring along a electric fence to put around your camper/tent. I have used them in Alaska, and have never lost anything. If your clean and are aware, your chances are very good that you will not loose your food/camper or life! Backpacking is a whole new topic, and it all depends on where you are and what kind of critters live there. I agree with Craig, Im more worried about the two legged kind that cannot drive or have any common sense! Seems like that is the real danger these days.

Indeed the bear has the best sniffer so I'll assume he/she can smell any human. I'm not familiar with the above research but to me it raises the interesting issue of how the notion that menustrating females are bear attracters. makes some logical sense but I'm sure there have been other contributing factors.

Might as well add my two cents on this, what Silvertip and rest say is pretty much right on about bears and people-of late even the black bears seem to be getting more interested in the human as both a food source and a source for food-more people out and about and more opportunities for plunder! Check your Native American anthropological data-women are not allowed near any hunting gear at all, even to the extreme of sending them away from camp during their period. As an archaeologist, we even found a cave up on the rim above the Smoke Creek Desert that had only one male artifact (Rosegate PJP [probably used as a drill-not a point]) -every thing else was female related-it was located above and away from the main occupation site on the desert floor. It was a small cave-no use for hunting, living in or any long term use and was real hard to get to. The girls on the crew renamed it, "The cave of the women"- I mean there was no other use for it! Archaeologically, the anthropological data (at least in this case) supported the the physical data. Again, not all the women (and men) who worked on or know about the site agree with these conclusions-just another thing to ponder-sort of like does bear spray (which I have) really works or just makes the bear madder!! :rolleyes:

When go to Yosemite I usually put all of the food items into one Rubbermaid 30 quart container and all of the other smelly stuff in another 30 quart container. Two boxes that go on the floor in transit and then into the bear box upon arrival. The only time it is inconvenient is when the bear box freezes shut and you have to use a hammer to open them. On other trips I do it like you do, stuff it all in the cabinets.

I usually have lots of prepackaged food (cans of soup, fruit cups, energy bars, etc) crammed in the cabinets. Is it recommended that those type of items all get removed and put in the bear box? That would be rather inconvenient but, from what I have read, the Yosemite bears are very skilled and persistent about getting food.

Back
Top Bottom